The Student Room Group

What do you think of people who swear unnecessarily?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Cherie Amour
Does this mean people who don't swear are unintelligent?
Also intelligent and educated are different. Intelligent means you're clever without the need of education or tutelage. So in that regard, perhaps swearing does mean intelligent and I'd stand by having limited vocabulary and not being very educated.

Where did you get the assumption I was implying that? I just said the guy was a genius. I don't actually believe that someone who swears is automatically more intelligent than someone who doesn't.
Original post by AzimH
Where did you get the assumption I was implying that? I just said the guy was a genius. I don't actually believe that someone who swears is automatically more intelligent than someone who doesn't.

I asked the question to open the discussion about intelligence so to challenge whether swearing is or isn't showing intelligence. I have come to think it could depending on the conversation, but it definitely doesn't show someone who is educated, who may or may not be intelligent.
Original post by elliemayxo
Near Bristol, South West.

Nooooooo, screw Bristol.

That's where all those scapegoating chavs attack muslims and people who look like muslims.

I'm christian but I'll get swarmed by things that I thought I killed in Gears of War last night.
Nothing.

Profanity isn't lower-class behaviour, it's not uncultured or symptomatic of a poor education, it's simply a part of language.
Swearing amongst friends is stress relieving. I don't judge people on how much they swear ;3
It bothers me, but I have Tourettes and am terrified that every time someone swears, my Tourettes is suddenly going to start making me swear all the time. I had this one phase where I said yellow pineapple to everyone. That was an odd time in my life, But yeah, I don't swear at all unless I get hurt, its childish and vulgar and unnecessary!
Original post by Stephanie_12
It bothers me, but I have Tourettes and am terrified that every time someone swears, my Tourettes is suddenly going to start making me swear all the time. I had this one phase where I said yellow pineapple to everyone. That was an odd time in my life, But yeah, I don't swear at all unless I get hurt, its childish and vulgar and unnecessary!

Prepare to get internet bashed.
Original post by Longshot700
Prepare to get internet bashed.

Yep. I'm not talking about normal swearing though (I mean, I realise that everybody does it to an extent) but when people constantly swear every few words, that's when it really gets on my nerves and I think they are just making themselves look dumb.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest