The Student Room Group

Is playing video games a turn off?

My friend plays WoW occasionally and he says girls find it a turn off. Same for my female friend who is always on Halo online.

I play FIFA myself but not all the time. Is it a turn off?

Scroll to see replies

Not unless you're doing it in bed
Only if they are obsessed with it and play it a lot. Otherwise it isn't really a problem.
Reply 3
Original post by J.P_Gruntfuttock
Not unless you're doing it in bed

ayyyy lmao
Reply 4
Some people will find it a turn off, some won't and will really like it and some people will not care at all. The end.
Reply 5
I think that it's only ever a turn off if they're doing it in place of things like socializing. Or if someone stays up all night gaming instead of choosing to go to bed so they're not exhausted for school/uni/work the next day... That would be a massive turn off for me. Pretty much every guy I've dated has been considered a 'gamer', but not in the sense that it's everything he does or that it completely defines his personality.
Hope that helps!

Oh, just a side note: I tend to play PC games too, and guys mostly just think it's cool that we have games in common etc.
Reply 6
Original post by JME10
Some people will find it a turn off, some won't and will really like it and some people will not care at all. The end.

missed the point :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Not for me, as talking about video games with guys is one way of getting to know them.

I guess it just depends on the type of person you're going after really, if they're not interested in gaming at all it might be a turn off but then why would you pursue them in the first place? Gaming is life :tongue:
I find it a turn off if video games seem to be a big part of someone's life when video games/computer science is not their industry. I think, "why not go out and do stuff!?"

But then again I only play games every now and again. I'm sure someone who also plays video games a lot would love to find it in another person.

I also find girls can be not so enthusiastic if I mention that I play video games or I think a lot of some of the best ones. It's just the whole stigma of video games = lazy / stupid / socially inept.
Reply 9
Original post by SammyHam
I think that it's only ever a turn off if they're doing it in place of things like socializing. Or if someone stays up all night gaming instead of choosing to go to bed so they're not exhausted for school/uni/work the next day... That would be a massive turn off for me. Pretty much every guy I've dated has been considered a 'gamer', but not in the sense that it's everything he does or that it completely defines his personality.
Hope that helps!

Oh, just a side note: I tend to play PC games too, and guys mostly just think it's cool that we have games in common etc.

do you mostly date "geeky" guys? I don't know many guys who would be considered gamers :s-smilie:

cool :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
I find it a turn off if video games seem to be a big part of someone's life when video games/computer science is not their industry. I think, "why not go out and do stuff!?"

But then again I only play games every now and again. I'm sure someone who also plays video games a lot would love to find it in another person.

I also find girls can be not so enthusiastic if I mention that I play video games or I think a lot of some of the best ones. It's just the whole stigma of video games = lazy / stupid / socially inept.

yeah, it does carry a stigma even if you're a girl.

most people don't do CS tbf (when I did maths at uni there was a module on maths in video game design though)
I used to game a lot, sometimes 14 hours a day. On hindsight I realise what a waste of time it was. I could have been doing something more productive.

So for me, a girl that is addicted to gaming would be a massive turn off. But if they were just a casual gamer, it wouldn't be a bad thing, nor a good thing.
Original post by Bengali
do you mostly date "geeky" guys? I don't know many guys who would be considered gamers :s-smilie:

cool :smile:

I guess I go for guys that might be considered geeky, but I don't really know! Just seem like normal guys to me. :P
Reply 13
I guess I go for guys that might be considered geeky, but I don't really know! Just seem like normal guys to me. :P

i like geeks. Dont know many though :tongue:
No I wouldn't see it as a turn off. If they played Skyrim then that would be even better :biggrin: if they don't ever leave their room due to being obsessed with video games then that is different as it would be hard to maintain a relationship like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bengali
i like geeks. Dont know many though :tongue:

It's probably because they all hide away from people :tongue:
Reply 16
It's probably because they all hide away from people :tongue:

i did maths but a lot of my maths friends aren't even geeky :lol: :getmecoat:
Original post by Bengali
i did maths but a lot of my maths friends aren't even geeky :lol: :getmecoat:

What!? That's crazy, I would expect Maths people to all be geeky. I'm a little bit ashamed in humanity now, haha.
My last boyfriend studied CS, so I guess you could say he's a typical geek. He also used to tell me that literally all of his CS friends were massive geeks too. So perhaps that's the course to do to find all of them! :ninjagirl:
Reply 18
Depends on what games and how much time they play.
Reply 19
What!? That's crazy, I would expect Maths people to all be geeky. I'm a little bit ashamed in humanity now, haha.
My last boyfriend studied CS, so I guess you could say he's a typical geek. He also used to tell me that literally all of his CS friends were massive geeks too. So perhaps that's the course to do to find all of them! :ninjagirl:

I know me too :frown:. I knew a few people from the CS society who were geeks yep, I think its the most "geeky" course haha :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending