The Student Room Group

The working life is so depressing...

21, finish uni, start grad job.

If you're male, work 9-5, 5 days a week, if not longer for the rest of your life.

If you're female, work 9-5, 5 days a week until you're 27-32, have children. Then depending on your situation ---> stay at home mum or go back to work for rest of your life.

Are there any alternatives? So tempted to start a business one day, I can't hack this forever..
Few jobs that aren't 9-5, working from home, self employment, moving to live in some jungle as a hermit, going to prison, professional bank heists....

A few of those options ain't that great so get a job that's exciting, eh?
Reply 2
There are alternatives if you are willing to look, but to be honest if you enjoy your job and have decent hobbies and relationships outside that there is no reason for it to be depressing.
Reply 3
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Few jobs that aren't 9-5, working from home, self employment, moving to live in some jungle as a hermit, going to prison, professional bank heists....

A few of those options ain't that great so get a job that's exciting, eh?

But 90% of jobs aren't exciting.

I've just started a job in accounting and whilst I think I can hack it/pass exams, it's not fun and I feel it's such a shame for humanity to have to embrace capitalism just so all humans can function.

We have such a wonderful world full of different people and cultures but it seems you're either a slave to capitalism or you're in conflict somewhere in the world over things like religion.

Just seems depressing to me that so many won't get a chance to experience life beyond their nations' borders etc.

Maybe I'll learn about a business I can set up when analysing figures through accounting but it's still depressing
My ideal job would be a drone operator... i would be ace at that

Quick Reply

Latest