The Student Room Group

Can I apply for Masters with a 3rd class degree and work experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RMAWESOME92
So I just got a 3rd Class Degree in Business with Management from Northumbria University, but am not worried about finding work as I have a job lined up. I am going to be working for at least 2 years with Qatar Airways, before I apply for a Masters. Is it going to be possible for me to apply for Masters in a top university with my work experience? Can I apply for Masters in a good university in the US (NYU etc.)? Which is more important my Degree class or work experience?
Note: I am from Qatar so am an international student

Thanks for the responses guys, and I know i messed up but I have a really good CV and hopefully with a really good work experience I will get accepted in a decent university in the US.

What masters are you talking about that you think 2 years of work experience will compensate for your results, out of interest? For any top uni, your grade will matter more, many won't even look at your work experience (unless you're looking at an MBA but even then you will need more than 2 years and it will need to be really good). Also, while UK unis focus on grades alone, the top U.S. unis are far more discriminating in terms of which uni you attended as well. Unfortunately I don't think Northumbria is really seen as a desirable alma mater. I'm sorry to be blunt about this, but I don't think any amount of work experience is going to get you into a top U.S. uni with a third from Northumbria.
Thanks for your honesty guys, and I know saying I want to go to a top university is a bit of exaggeration. I have spoken to the office in Northumbria, they said I might have a better chance in Northumbria than other unis in the UK cause I graduated from there. Or I might just go to a mid or mid-low ranking university in the US. But isn't there any possibility I could repeat the final year even though I passed?
Thanks for your honesty guys, and I know saying I want to go to a top university is a bit of exaggeration. I have spoken to the office in Northumbria, they said I might have a better chance in Northumbria than other unis in the UK cause I graduated from there. Or I might just go to a mid or mid-low ranking university in the US. But isn't there any possibility I could repeat the final year even though I passed?

I would rather attend a good university in Europe, where they are more forgiving, as a third is much more common in some countries and students not suited for a Master don't get a Bachelor anyway. But be aware that the standard might be way higher than you are used to from your undergrad, as long as you did not go to a top UK university. So while it might seem easy getting in, you have to put in the work, to finish your Master.
Original post by Nathanielle
I would rather attend a good university in Europe, where they are more forgiving, as a third is much more common in some countries and students not suited for a Master don't get a Bachelor anyway. But be aware that the standard might be way higher than you are used to from your undergrad, as long as you did not go to a top UK university. So while it might seem easy getting in, you have to put in the work, to finish your Master.

Thanks, I will try my best, and I will see what's going to happen in 2-3 years time.

Since you have already graduated then there is no way you can repeat the final year. UK universities generally only give one attempt at exams, and once you pass that's it, the grade you're awarded is the one you're stuck with. If you had failed, any resits would likely have been capped at 40% anyway, still leaving you with a crappy final result.
The bottom line here is that you should have actually worked harder at your degree when you had the chance, instead of apparently expecting 'special treatment' now merely because you couldn't be bothered to get it right the first time.
Reply 26
So I just got a 3rd Class Degree in Business with Management from Northumbria University, but am not worried about finding work as I have a job lined up. I am going to be working for at least 2 years with Qatar Airways, before I apply for a Masters. Is it going to be possible for me to apply for Masters in a top university with my work experience? Can I apply for Masters in a good university in the US (NYU etc.)? Which is more important my Degree class or work experience?
Note: I am from Qatar so am an international student

Speaking as an American with some experience applying to graduate programs in the US (although I ultimately ended up going to the UK), you have a chance. Try to get amazing and applicable work experience. Also, if you score really well on the GMAT (for business school) and/or the GRE (for normal graduate programs), it might help to overcome your low undergraduate grades. Actually, if you go on gradcafe, there's a whole subforum dedicated to people who were admitted to graduate school with GPAs below a 3.0. I can't say if it'll help get you into a "top" school or not, and maybe that shouldn't be your biggest concern at this point, but getting in is do-able and you should definitely try.
Why do you want to a Masters? It's a waste of time. It doesn't really make a difference. What is important is work experience to be able to progress in life. As one of the other guys said, just concentrate on your career

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending