The Student Room Group

Dazzlas Velocity Diet (One that will actually be finished)

Hello Bodybuilding community,

Welcome to my Velocity DietLog My guide to dropping body fat and getting LEAN!
I have read a lot about the V-diet(Velocity diet) by T-Nation and I am fully aware of the controversial views upon a 'shake only' diet. I know full well that:

a) I will get all the nutrients/minerals I need to function in a daily basis.
b) I will get enough protein to keep mass
c) it is a brutal way of losing body fat
d) the whole 'when you get off the diet' arguments. Tome it is total BS, that is my own opinion, so shoot me down as you will.

Goals for the Velocity Diet:
1) Drop Body-Fat to below 12%
2) Offset bad eating habits/cravings
3) I have found that not many Velocity Diet Logs have been completed so this one will be.

Training: (5 day split 10 Minutes HIIT at the start and Abs at the end)

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms
Saturday -off
Sunday - off

Current Strength; (hoping to not lose any strength during the 28 days)
Bench (DBs) - 50kg each arm.
Weighted Pull Ups - 16kg- 8,6,5 reps
Squats - 120kg
Military Press - 65kg
Weighted Dips - 35 kg - 3x8
Now that is a short description of what I am doing training wise, and why I have decided to do the Velocity Diet.

Nutrition; T-nations Biotest supplements cost a staggering $423, and I have got the equivalents of their products. It cost me £120 (pounds) to get similar products. (20% OFF)

The following is what I have bought: (photo attached)

-Flax Seed Powder (soluble and insoluble fiber - essential fatty acids)
-L Leucine (Essential amino acid - 500g
-Omega 3 Liquid -Thermopure(caffeine supplement)
-Inulin (fibre supplement)
-Peanut Butter
-Micellar Casein (Slow release protein)
-Superfood XS (greens, antioxidants, veggies etc)
The new version of Velocity Diet allows me to have one 'Healthy Solid Meal'- 1 cup of Quinoa, 1 Chicken breast and 1 cup of green vegetables.

I will consume 5 shakes a day. 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, HSM - 8PM, 11pm (along with one spoonful of peanut butter).

My daily macros will be:

Protein: 190g
Carbs: 144g
Calories: 1551
Fat: 29g

I will be posting my results, measurements, and photos, during and at the end.

Hope to get some support during the diet,alongside motivating others to follow in my footsteps.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just received these bad boys. All ready for the start tomorrow.

Not bad for £120.33, if you ask me.

That is;

Micellar Casien - 4kg
Peanut Butter (100% nuts) - 1kg
Xs Superfood - 300g
L-Leucine - 500g
Flaxseed Powder - 500g
Thermopure - 90 capsules
Omega 3 Liquid - 500ml
Inulin - 500g
Moved to blogs
In to see you fail (or prove me wrong)
Reply 4
Original post by AreebWithaHat
In to see you fail (or prove me wrong)

Ahaa, liking it...

I can assure you, there will be no failing here.

I have already tested the shakes - and they are absolutely disgusting. I did add the Omega 3 oil to it, so I shall be consuming that separately.

I have tried the Healthy Solid Meal (HSM) - I have uploaded a picture showing exactly how delicious it is.
Reply 5
Day 2:

No training today - shakes have been good.

I am adding Raw CACAO to some of my shakes as the taste is somewhat stall, all my products from 'myprotein' are unflavoured - would not recommend this to someone trying it.

"Cacao is the raw, unprocessed chocolate superfood on everyone's lips. Unlike your regular chocolate bar (or easter egg), raw cacao is supercharged with magnesium and flavonoids, which makes it good for you inside and out"

I have felt rather lethargic today as my body is adjusting.

I would not recommend the Omega 3 Liquid either - I should have used the capsules which I already have. It does not taste nice at all - but the strawberry hint does help the liquid.
Super strong dumbell bench, what's your Barbell Bench?
Reply 7
Original post by Enginerd.
Super strong dumbell bench, what's your Barbell Bench?

Thanks fella - Barbell Bench is 110 for 4 sets of 4,4,3,3 - I don't normally have a spotter so I wouldn't dare to go heavy alone.
Reply 8
So, you are getting simple carbohydrates, and let them digest so quickly. The simple carbohydrates don't even carry any other nutrients. They are good as a quick energy source. You have Monosaccharides carbs/simple sugars with your banana and the sugar cube. I will get my complex bad boys. See what would work better.

You take your whey protein and let your body digest it quicker than you drink it. I will let my casein protein break down slowly for added benefits.

I am getting MINIMAL salt in my diet - no added salt in anything. How much salt is in your Mcdonals meals? You know salt creates water retention, thus, bloating occurs. It can also give you higher blood pressure. So long term - your Mcdonalds approach can give you heart attacks etc.

I am getting EFA (essential fatty acids) - You would be getting your Saturated and Trans fats. Which, would increase the amount of cholesterol in your body. You are eating the two avoidable fats.

Ultimately - you would be eating the worst types of carbs, the fastest digesting protein, and the two worst types of fats.

And, I, will be eating the better carbs, slower digesting protein and the best two fats.

So it is the same calories - but who wins really?
Reply 9
Day 3: (Yesterday)

Again - another solid, strict day. HSM was changed to Lamb, Sweet potato and cabbage as I ate at the in laws. No training as my five day split starts tomorrow, good ol Chest. Lets see how it goes.
Haven't heard the term velocity diet in a while

I don't doubt its efficiecy

Just I'd miss food
Original post by Dazzzzzla
So, you are getting simple carbohydrates, and let them digest so quickly. The simple carbohydrates don't even carry any other nutrients. They are good as a quick energy source. You have Monosaccharides carbs/simple sugars with your banana and the sugar cube. I will get my complex bad boys. See what would work better.

You take your whey protein and let your body digest it quicker than you drink it. I will let my casein protein break down slowly for added benefits.

I am getting MINIMAL salt in my diet - no added salt in anything. How much salt is in your Mcdonals meals? You know salt creates water retention, thus, bloating occurs. It can also give you higher blood pressure. So long term - your Mcdonalds approach can give you heart attacks etc.

I am getting EFA (essential fatty acids) - You would be getting your Saturated and Trans fats. Which, would increase the amount of cholesterol in your body. You are eating the two avoidable fats.

Ultimately - you would be eating the worst types of carbs, the fastest digesting protein, and the two worst types of fats.

And, I, will be eating the better carbs, slower digesting protein and the best two fats.

So it is the same calories - but who wins really?

The GI (read: simple vs complex) of foods has no impact on anything apart from, maybe, satiety (which is way too complex to pin down to solely GI) unless you're diabetic and struggling with your sugar control. I have no idea what you mean by "they don't even carry any other nutrients" when talking about a banana, oats and bread, he's allocated 30 kcal for sugar cubes to have in coffee.

What are these added benefits from your protein breaking down slower?

You understand we need salt, right? There's also strong evidence emerging breaking down the link between salt and hypertension - genetics, weight and body composition is now more strongly implicated. Restriction of salt intake has a role to play in those who are already hypertensive but not in normotensive individuals.

There's no link between dietary saturated fat intake and serum cholesterol. There are no added trans fats in mcdonalds in the UK, ergo the levels are negligible and not associated with any harm.

I don't really see the point in this diet unless you're extremely time restricted or have no willpower when it comes to food. To each their own I guess. Assuming you stick to it, I imagine your results will be fairly predictable but no different to if you did the same thing with real food. My biggest concern would be the effect on mental health and potentially your bowels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RollerBall
The GI (read: simple vs complex) of foods has no impact on anything apart from, maybe, satiety (which is way too complex to pin down to solely GI) unless you're diabetic and struggling with your sugar control. I have no idea what you mean by "they don't even carry any other nutrients" when talking about a banana, oats and bread, he's allocated 30 kcal for sugar cubes to have in coffee.

What are these added benefits from your protein breaking down slower?

You understand we need salt, right? There's also strong evidence emerging breaking down the link between salt and hypertension - genetics, weight and body composition is now more strongly implicated. Restriction of salt intake has a role to play in those who are already hypertensive but not in normotensive individuals.

There's no link between dietary saturated fat intake and serum cholesterol. There are no added trans fats in mcdonalds in the UK, ergo the levels are negligible and not associated with any harm.

I don't really see the point in this diet unless you're extremely time restricted or have no willpower when it comes to food. To each their own I guess. Assuming you stick to it, I imagine your results will be fairly predictable but no different to if you did the same thing with real food. My biggest concern would be the effect on mental health and potentially your bowels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you seriously telling me right now that simple carbohydrates have the same benefits as complex carbohydrates?

Have a read on his; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager.html

I did not suggest that I do not need salt. I said that salt is minimal, this means I am getting salt. If you actually read what my reply was to (and if you did, then you definitely need to brush up on your reading ability) - How is having Mcnuggets, A burger and McDonalds fries at any way, shape or form near my nutrition intake with my specific shakes?

Why do you not research the benefits of Casein? I will tell you that this diet requires 5 shakes (if you even read that) and if I am taking Whey protein, then how would that benefit me with this diet? A fast absorbing protein will not help me - I need to feed every 3 hours and a whey shake will not suffice. Although it will enhance protein synthesis, that is not exactly benefiting someone on a shake diet. Research.

Saturated fats have no link to cholesterol? I presume you have a terrible diet.

Why don't you come back in 25 days and see what the benefit the diet had on my body? Why mental health concerns?

I am assuming you do not lift and you don't care what you eat? If you think the guys Mcdonald's diet is the same nutritional value to mine - then you really need to read up on your actual nutrition.
Reply 13
Original post by monsterzero
Haven't heard the term velocity diet in a while

I don't doubt its efficiecy

Just I'd miss food

I do get one meal in the evening - very delicious infact. It is quite nice to wait for it! :wink:
I do get one meal in the evening - very delicious infact. It is quite nice to wait for it! :wink:

Are you even following the velocity diet?

It's once a week solid meal
Reply 15
Are you even following the velocity diet?

It's once a week solid meal

https://biotest.t-nation.com/packages/velocity-diet - scrool down to 'Daily Menu Plan'

In short - Yes I am following the velocity Diet.
https://biotest.t-nation.com/packages/velocity-diet - scrool down to 'Daily Menu Plan'

In short - Yes I am following the velocity Diet.

Ok CS changed it then

This is the new velocity diet

Old one was 1 a week solid meal

TBF 1 a day solid isn't as dramatic

When I used to do train twice a day and cardio twice I was effectively doing a velocity diet

My body digests food slowly so I train most effectively on empty stomach

As for health effects , biology is too varied to give a clear cut answer
Reply 17
Ok CS changed it then

This is the new velocity diet

Old one was 1 a week solid meal

TBF 1 a day solid isn't as dramatic

When I used to do train twice a day and cardio twice I was effectively doing a velocity diet

My body digests food slowly so I train most effectively on empty stomach

As for health effects , biology is too varied to give a clear cut answer

Yeah I know - that would take some serious discipline. One meal a day is pretty good actually. I'm never hungry on this diet, which is surprising.
Reply 18
Day 4:

Another solid day. Have not lost any strength and have gained a few reps on the Chest.

Solid shakes and healthy solid meal.

Going rather quick, I must say.
Are you seriously telling me right now that simple carbohydrates have the same benefits as complex carbohydrates?

Have a read on his; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager.html

I did not suggest that I do not need salt. I said that salt is minimal, this means I am getting salt. If you actually read what my reply was to (and if you did, then you definitely need to brush up on your reading ability) - How is having Mcnuggets, A burger and McDonalds fries at any way, shape or form near my nutrition intake with my specific shakes?

Why do you not research the benefits of Casein? I will tell you that this diet requires 5 shakes (if you even read that) and if I am taking Whey protein, then how would that benefit me with this diet? A fast absorbing protein will not help me - I need to feed every 3 hours and a whey shake will not suffice. Although it will enhance protein synthesis, that is not exactly benefiting someone on a shake diet. Research.

Saturated fats have no link to cholesterol? I presume you have a terrible diet.

Why don't you come back in 25 days and see what the benefit the diet had on my body? Why mental health concerns?

I am assuming you do not lift and you don't care what you eat? If you think the guys Mcdonald's diet is the same nutritional value to mine - then you really need to read up on your actual nutrition.

Alright, I'm going to mostly ignore all the bull**** about "doing my research" and that my diet is terrible. Just one question though, do you honestly believe cosmo and BB.com are adequate sources for nutritional information? I've also never said that the guy's diet had the same or better nutrition as yours, simply that your post was full of inaccuracies - perhaps you should better revise your comprehension before you call out others.

Here are a bunch of studies that back up everything I've stated.

Regarding GI of foods:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12081854?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg
Cliffs if you don't have access: GI is complex and altered by lots of different factors + there is no evidence that spikes or fluctuations in serum insulin levels are bad for you, unless you already have type II diabetes (which is associated with weight and body composition/total kcal intake and NOT if you eat high GI foods.

Regarding salt, I never said you weren't eating any salt. However, there isn't any in your shakes. If you aren't adding any to your one solid meal (around 1 tsp) then you won't be getting enough, my main message was about when you said salt was associated with blood pressure though. Here's a study examining salt intake and hypertension: http://ajh.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/09/03/ajh.hpu164
Cliffs: Elevated BMI and age and alcohol intake was associated with hypertension, salt and physical activity was not (however, high dietary salt levels were associated with higher BMIs in men)

I'm asking you for clarification regarding what benefits there are over casein vs whey. Since you haven't answered, instead giving me a bunch of bull**** here's a good & well sourced article, explaining that the frequency of meal timings is irrelevant. You could have all your shakes inside of three hours and it wouldn't matter one iota. http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high. Whilst I don't usually like linking articles, examine.com does an extremely good job at referencing. I've looked at a handful but it's easier to just link you the article since you seem like you might enjoy digging through the sources. Here's another meta-analysis showing that there isn't even a benefit to eating peri-workout http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5. If I've missed the mark and the benefits are nothing to do with meal timing or frequency then you can ignore most of this if you're aware of it, however you've hardly been clear and I'm honestly not aware of why casein would be of particular benefit in this scenario.

Finally, here's another very good article (http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html) examining lots of papers showing the lack of a link between serum cholesterol and dietary saturated fat. Here's also two big studies showing that there is no link between dietary sat fat and heart disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648?dopt=AbstractPlus) and actually may be associated with a lower risk of stroke (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685950?dopt=AbstractPlus). I mean, if you actually think about it for a moment it doesn't really make sense - we don't just absorb things straight from the gut into our blood stream.

If you want to have a reasonable discussion about nutrition and the underlying evidence, leave your prejudices and aggression at the door. If you're not going to tackle points and instead reply with calling me out that I don't lift, I don't know the research (then link bb.com for Christ sake) or that my diet is terrible I'm not going to bother having a conversation with you.

I am actually interested in how you fair on this diet - I don't understand why you've reacted so negatively to my initial post... I also would have thought it would be quite clear why it could potentially have an impact on your mental health eating pretty much the same thing every day, the phrase "variety is the spice of life" springs to mind but I digress...

PS. Good luck with the myprotein supergreens - I've had them as a free sample before and couldn't manage one shake!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest