The Student Room Group

Muslims - would you date a non-Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr
Yes, but why is it the opposite for males in Islam?

Because usually the children follow the religion of the father in the house.
So if a Muslim woman marries a Jewish man, the children would end up becoming Jewish, whereas if a Muslim guy marries a Jewish woman, his children will be Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Because usually the children follow the religion of the father in the house.
So if a Muslim woman marries a Jewish man, the children would end up becoming Jewish, whereas if a Muslim guy marries a Jewish woman, his children will be Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't this sexist?

Surly if a Muslim man marries a Jewish or Christian woman, he would expect her to convert otherwise, the marriage would most likely fail because of differing religious beliefs. For example, the man is a Muslim and the woman is a Christian.the kids will most likely be Muslim, leaving their mother alone.

so, things will be difficult, how will the woman and man relate?

I am not a Muslim but I just think its bad advice to tell someone to marry outside of their religion.
Reply 102
Original post by Zamestaneh
Wouldn't 'date' irregardless of being a Muslim or non-Muslim because haraam (forbidden).

Wouldn't marry a non-Muslim because mukhrooh (disliked) and compatability issues as well issues with children.

Why you giving your own legal rulings for? Marrying a non muslim is Haram and Nikah will not even be valid as they are not people of the book. Those people of the book (which they are none left today) Nikah will be valid but it is Haram and a sin to do so.

Allah and his Beloved Messenger Salallahu Alayhi Wasalam know best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Isn't this sexist?

Surly if a Muslim man marries a Jewish or Christian woman, he would expect her to convert otherwise, the marriage would most likely fail because of differing religious beliefs. For example, the man is a Muslim and the woman is a Christian.the kids will most likely be Muslim, leaving their mother alone.

I am not a Muslim but I just think its bad advice to tell someone to marry outside of their religion.

That's why the ruling says it's permissible, but not encouraged.

If they knew these problems would occur, then they shouldn't have married in the first place.
It depends how they feel with each others belief.

Just because the kids turn Muslim, it doesn't mean they will leave their mother. They just won't follow her beliefs, but the mother should have expected this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by Jebedee
Anyone who answers no should not be allowed to live in a western country.

well that's a nice thing to say. Thank goodness you don't have any say on actual legislation.
Original post by F000S
Why you giving your own legal rulings for? Marrying a non muslim is Haram and Nikah will not even be valid as they are not people of the book. Those people of the book (which they are none left today) Nikah will be valid but it is Haram and a sin to do so.

Allah and his Beloved Messenger Salallahu Alayhu Wasalam know best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have misunderstood me. Non-Muslim = Ahlul Kitaab with regards to my post.
i normally get with non muslims just for a quick link they are also aware of this and we just tend to be fwbs which they are cool with but when im serious about marriage ill find a muslim gal
Original post by HAnwar
That's why the ruling says it's permissible, but not encouraged.

If they knew these problems would occur, then they shouldn't have married in the first place.
It depends how they feel with each others belief.

Just because the kids turn Muslim, it doesn't mean they will leave their mother. They just won't follow her beliefs, but the mother should have expected this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, fair enough.
Original post by Jebedee
Anyone who answers no should not be allowed to live in a western country.

No. I think I have the right to choose who I want to date.
Original post by Pride
well that's a nice thing to say. Thank goodness you don't have any say on actual legislation.

The purpose of legislation is not to be "nice".

Original post by HassanD
No. I think I have the right to choose who I want to date.

Yes you do, and countries should have a right who they think would be a suitable person to allow citizenship.
If we aren't good enough for you then neither is our country.
Original post by Jebedee
The purpose of legislation is not to be "nice".

Yes you do, and countries should have a right who they think would be a suitable person to allow citizenship.
If we aren't good enough for you then neither is our country.

So in order for a country to be good enough for you, you have to want to date it's native people?
Original post by halal kebab5
i normally get with non muslims just for a quick link they are also aware of this and we just tend to be fwbs which they are cool with but when im serious about marriage ill find a muslim gal

Do you intend to tell her about your antics?
Do you intend to tell her about your antics?

they already know
Isn't this sexist?

Welcome to Islam
Isn't this sexist?

Based upon various quotes in the Quran and Hadith, I am sure that Muslim men are meant to marry Muslim women and give them precedence over Christian and Jewish girls; if the former are in short supply, I would guess the latter become marriageable, although, as said, it is mukhrooh (disliked).

A Christian or Jewish girl actually has to be practicing (not just namesake Christians or namesake Jews) and must be chaste for them to be permissible for marriage, and the Muslim man still has to go about things in an Islamic way I.e talk to her Wali (guardian - typically her father) and then have a marriage contract as per requirement stating the obligations of the husband and wife and how much Mahr (dowry/marriage payment) the man has to pay the girl.
These kinds of marriage would be infrequent anyway - how many chaste practicing Christians or Jews would marry a Muslim man, and how many would manage to convince their parents to agree?

The differences in religion are why this kind of marriage is forbidden (under normal circumstances) and disliked (under abnormal circumstances).
they already know

The Muslim girls do? Do you expect to marry a religious one?

What does your link entail? Does it get physical?
I wonder if any Muslims on here eat pork?
Based upon various quotes in the Quran and Hadith, I am sure that Muslim men are meant to marry Muslim women and give them precedence over Christian and Jewish girls; if the former are in short supply, I would guess the latter become marriageable, although, as said, it is mukhrooh (disliked).

A Christian or Jewish girl actually has to be practicing (not just namesake Christians or namesake Jews) and must be chaste for them to be permissible for marriage, and the Muslim man still has to go about things in an Islamic way I.e talk to her Wali (guardian - typically her father) and then have a marriage contract as per requirement stating the obligations of the husband and wife and how much Mahr (dowry/marriage payment) the man has to pay the girl.
These kinds of marriage would be infrequent anyway - how many chaste practicing Christians or Jews would marry a Muslim man, and how many would manage to convince their parents to agree?

The differences in religion are why this kind of marriage is forbidden (under normal circumstances) and disliked (under abnormal circumstances).

Truly and really Jews and Christians should not marry outside their race because its forbidden.
The Muslim girls do? Do you expect to marry a religious one?

i've never had a muslim girl as a gf or a link only non muslims

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending