The Student Room Group

Which extra curricular activities at University stand out to employers!?

Hello everyone,

Basically just wondering what are the best extra curriculars to do at university which look attractive to employers when applying for jobs.

Cheers
Reply 1
assassins society.
A job.

If you get part time work while studying,then you're going to have the experience. So many people are declined from jobs because they lack experience.

Additionally, volunteering might be something that your uni/SU can offer. At my university they offer an award for employability. :yy:
Check your university careers service/SU to see if they run a student consultancy programme. Usually these will involve a small group working on a project for a term/semester for a local business or charity.

It's the sort of experience that is extremely good to talk about at interview/in applications and should help you get good placements over your holidays (again see if your uni run a paid placement scheme over the Easter and Summer holidays).

Course rep is also very useful (but it's what you make of it - if you just sit in silence at staff:student liaison meetings then you'll have nothing to show for it).
Original post by Roving Fish
A job.

If you get part time work while studying,then you're going to have the experience. So many people are declined from jobs because they lack experience.

Additionally, volunteering might be something that your uni/SU can offer. At my university they offer an award for employability. :yy:

A job or volunteering would be great, preferably relevant to your subject.

Immerse yourself in a range of things, but don't overdo it (from experience!)
If you want to go into a certain field then something related like Free Law advice, Formula student or a Royal Society. In general go for sports, or something like UOTC.
Reply 6
I would put any kind of part-time paid work at the top of the list. Nothing much will beat a professional reference from a former employer, stating that you are honest, you turn up on time, you're reliable and you do what you're asked to do with minimum supervision. Even bar or shop work will give you that. Plus it will pay, which is crucial to many students.

ECs are fine, but they're basically just hobbies unless they can be directly related to your job. Captain of a sports team or chairman/secretary/treasurer of a society will give you leadership skills and evidence of taking responsibility. I know a few folks involved with the Student Unon who have gone into politics. Target what you do if that's why you're doing them. But generally, I'd choose ECs that you enjoy.
I agree that most employers do want to see some paid work experience on your cv these days and as klixx says, a reference from a former employer is very valuable.

One thing I did that is pretty valuable in the sciences was a research studentship. Basically I got a small grant to run a pilot project under a supervisor. A lot of organisations offer this so maybe see what is available in your field. However for most of these opportunities you need to be at least a second year student.

I would say with your true hobbies its better to keep them as downtime/ a chance to destress which can be really good for your mental health during a degree.
Reply 8
I'm going to differ from the above.

Not that they're wrong, just that they're forgetting something:

Do something you enjoy.

It'll give you something to talk about with passion when it comes to interviews and that's invaluable. Clubs and societies are all good as long as you put some effort in. If you arranged your ski club's annual trip you've shown an enormous amount of managerial skills there, no employer worth your time will dismiss that because "you weren't getting paid for it".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending