The Student Room Group

University costs + Courses

Heyo! I'm a year 12 pupil and currently i'm studying A-level Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History in the hopes of studying Neuroscience at Uni. I'm planning to do a bachelors, then masters and then possibly a PhD. I was wondering,(First Question) will I have to pay for each course I do? So once I've completed my bachelors, will I have to pay additional money for the masters and then even more money for the PhD? Second question, how long will each course take? and finally, to those who have done Neuroscience, do you know the best unis I should look into for doing Neuroscience??
Original post by MicheMiche
Heyo! I'm a year 12 pupil and currently i'm studying A-level Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and History in the hopes of studying Neuroscience at Uni. I'm planning to do a bachelors, then masters and then possibly a PhD. I was wondering,(First Question) will I have to pay for each course I do? So once I've completed my bachelors, will I have to pay additional money for the masters and then even more money for the PhD? Second question, how long will each course take? and finally, to those who have done Neuroscience, do you know the best unis I should look into for doing Neuroscience??

Okay firstly, there's no need to do bachelors then masters, you can go straight for the masters, just an extra year on top of the usual bachelors. Then you do the PHD.

So the first question, You will pay the 9K a year tuition for the masters, plus Student finance, so another 7K potentially. PHD fees range from 3K to 9K a year depending on course and uni, as far as I'm aware you arent entitled to student finance for PHD's, so you would either need a sponsor/scholarship or pay for this yourself...

Second question, it'll be 4 years for the masters, and another 5+ as far as I'm aware, again depending on course and uni for PG.

Can't answer that accurately as don't do it, however the NeuroScience at Southampton is supposed to be world class.

So to summarize:

- Potentially £64K student finance for Masters & 4 years studying.
- Potentially another £50k PHD either paid for by sponsor or yourself & 5+ years studying

Hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by Ryanx623
Okay firstly, there's no need to do bachelors then masters, you can go straight for the masters, just an extra year on top of the usual bachelors. Then you do the PHD.

So the first question, You will pay the 9K a year tuition for the masters, plus Student finance, so another 7K potentially. PHD fees range from 3K to 9K a year depending on course and uni, as far as I'm aware you arent entitled to student finance for PHD's, so you would either need a sponsor/scholarship or pay for this yourself...

Second question, it'll be 4 years for the masters, and another 5+ as far as I'm aware, again depending on course and uni for PG.

Can't answer that accurately as don't do it, however the NeuroScience at Southampton is supposed to be world class.

So to summarize:

- Potentially £64K student finance for Masters & 4 years studying.
- Potentially another £50k PHD either paid for by sponsor or yourself & 5+ years studying

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot ! I really appreciate your help! One thing though, wouldn't not doing a bachelors put me at a disadvantage?? because I was under the impression that what you learn at a masters level is just building upon what you learned at bachelors. Im not really that familiar with the learning structure at unis :/.
Thanks a lot ! I really appreciate your help! One thing though, wouldn't not doing a bachelors put me at a disadvantage?? because I was under the impression that what you learn at a masters level is just building upon what you learned at bachelors. I'm not really that familiar with the learning structure at unis :/.

Sorry should have explained better. You would do a 4 year course, the first three years would follow the bachelors syllabus, the last year would then be the Masters. Masters courses follow the bachelors syllabus pretty much exactly for the first three years. Your impression is correct, however it would be pointless doing them separate as you would know 99.9% of the first three years content from the bachelors...

Hopefully that is easier to understand..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Ahhhh, that makes sense now! Again, thanks sooo much for your help!!!
Ahhhh, that makes sense now! Again, thanks sooo much for your help!!!

No worries, Message me if you need anything else... :biggrin:
Reply 6
Sure thing! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending