The Student Room Group

BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science Level 3

Scroll to see replies

i think i've done that unit inbox me if you need help!
Btecs are for stupid poeple
Until they steal your place at Uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi
im struggling so bad on unit 2 working in the science industry, has anyone done this unit in the past, if so PLEASE can you help me out im stuck :frown:
Original post by judogainz
Btecs are for stupid poeple

Where is your evidence?

It has been proven that BTEC students fair better in employment at entry, skilled / professional and graduate level roles compared to people who do A levels.

I'm a second year Computer Science student at a top 20 uni and I did a BTEC Level 3 in IT, am I 'stupid'?

The content in my degree, especially in first year, was very similar to what I did on my BTEC and i got good results, was it a 'stupid' decision to take a course that not only prepared me well for university but for the world of work too?

Grow up and wait until you get into the real world before making idiotic counter-factual comments like this with absolutely no evidence nor truth behind your claim.
Original post by yt7777
Where is your evidence?

It has been proven that BTEC students fair better in employment at entry, skilled / professional and graduate level roles compared to people who do A levels.

I'm a second year Computer Science student at a top 20 uni and I did a BTEC Level 3 in IT, am I 'stupid'?

The content in my degree, especially in first year, was very similar to what I did on my BTEC and i got good results, was it a 'stupid' decision to take a course that not only prepared me well for university but for the world of work too?

Grow up and wait until you get into the real world before making idiotic counter-factual comments like this with absolutely no evidence nor truth behind your claim.

a-level master race
a-level master race

Come back to me when you've left school

A levels mean **** all in the real world
Original post by yt7777
Come back to me when you've left school

A levels mean **** all in the real world

And a BTEC does??!! lmfao

Yes

No degree but in professional or managerial or professional role:

BTEC: 49%
A Level: 41%

Graduate Employment +:
BTEC: 80%
A Level: 74%

Studied Engineering, Maths and Computing and Business and Finance (High earning sectors):
BTEC: 56.1%
A Level: 26.8%

Likeliness of achieving a First Class degree:

BTEC: 12.2%
A Level: 11.4%

'Across all regions, BTEC graduates in skilled trade occupations earn more.'

A Levels do nothing more than get you to university, BTECs prepare you for work, as well as get you into 95% of UK universities (and this has been growing each year over the last 10)

People like you need to stop being so ignorant and grow up, like I said, wait until you get into the real world and you may have to work with a fellow graduate or apprentice (what ever route you take) who took a BTEC at Sixth Form, and its probably more likely that they have a higher skill-set and more experience than you, also people leaving sixth form now with a BTEC will have had to do a relevant work placement automatically giving them more experience (and relevant experience) than most A level leavers.

You can try and argue with me all you want but those are actual statistics and to quote my college teacher (who was the course leader for computing and only taught on the A level Computing course) - "I would rather employ someone with a BTEC in IT over someone with A levels in Computing/IT, Maths and Physics as a software engineer as the A level course does not provide them with the right skills, whereas the BTEC does", now you can call me a liar if you want but I am honestly not lying, and this guy has a Masters Degree and has worked in the IT industry for many years, personally I am going to go with his opinion rather than some jumped up little teenager who thinks that because he's doing A levels he has succeeded in life.

All you seem to have is your own ignorant, immature opinions, are you trying to prove something or just look like an idiot who has absolutely no depth to their argument? Write back quick, i look forward to your response.
(edited 8 years ago)

Original post by yt7777
Yes

No degree but in professional or managerial or professional role:

BTEC: 49%
A Level: 41%

Graduate Employment +:
BTEC: 80%
A Level: 74%

Studied Engineering, Maths and Computing and Business and Finance (High earning sectors):
BTEC: 56.1%
A Level: 26.8%

Likeliness of achieving a First Class degree:

BTEC: 12.2%
A Level: 11.4%

'Across all regions, BTEC graduates in skilled trade occupations earn more.'

A Levels do nothing more than get you to university, BTECs prepare you for work, as well as get you into 95% of UK universities (and this has been growing each year over the last 10)

People like you need to stop being so ignorant and grow up, like I said, wait until you get into the real world and you may have to work with a fellow graduate or apprentice (what ever route you take) who took a BTEC at Sixth Form, and its probably more likely that they have a higher skill-set and more experience than you, also people leaving sixth form now with a BTEC will have had to do a relevant work placement automatically giving them more experience (and relevant experience) than most A level leavers.

You can try and argue with me all you want but those are actual statistics and to quote my college teacher (who was the course leader for computing and only taught on the A level Computing course) - "I would rather employ someone with a BTEC in IT over someone with A levels in Computing/IT, Maths and Physics as a software engineer as the A level course does not provide them with the right skills, whereas the BTEC does", now you can call me a liar if you want but I am honestly not lying, and this guy has a Masters Degree and has worked in the IT industry for many years, personally I am going to go with his opinion rather than some jumped up little teenager who thinks that because he's doing A levels he has succeeded in life.

All you seem to have is your own ignorant, immature opinions, are you trying to prove something or just look like an idiot who has absolutely no depth to their argument? Write back quick, i look forward to your response.

Owned him!

and I completely agree with you, I really like the structure of the BTEC and wished I did it

I personally did A levels in Computing, Electronics, Maths and Statistics and the BTEC IT at my college seemed to do a lot better topics related to Computing such as Software Engineering,and some of the guys on the course actually did their placements in Software Development companies, they also got to do OOP in Java, where we just did 2 pretty useless languages

judogainz, i have to disagree with you, BTEC is a good choice especially if you want to do Computing or Engineering, the Applied Science is also meant to be good but I haven't experienced it but i've heard it covers a lot of Bio and Chem from A level.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did BTEC national diploma in applied science level 3 and it was very easy but i was very lazy and ended up with just PPP i know i couldve got merits and distinctions but that was my fault :frown:
Ok so how come there are no BTECs in oxbridge? @yt7777 @CompSci1101 LOL
Ok so how come there are no BTECs in oxbridge? @yt7777 @CompSci1101 LOL

So you are not going to respond to anything else i said, why? Because it proves you wrong?

You're still at Sixth Form right? You have a lot to learn, wait until you get to uni or into a job and see how irrellivent your A levels are then, im not saying BTECs are better nor am i saying that they are worse but look at my previous reply with the employability stats and take from that what you will.

And the reason the Oxbridge dont usually accept BTECs is due to the highly academic nature to their degrees, BTECs are vocational and provide learners with tangable work related skills, practical application ot the same level of content you would learn at A level, which is why they are accepted for certain courses with a vocational style of learning like some one probably wouldnt get into do History because it is not a practical subject, and not vocational, Oxford accept BTECs for Fine Art, Computer Science and i read recently on the guardian's website a girl who got into do Experimental Psychology with her BTEC in Health Science, also I have heard of someone getting into Cambridge for Engineering - all practical or vocational subject areas

Like I said previously, you seem to be a jumped up little teenager who clearly has no idea, why comment on things that you dont have any experience of and not only that ignore all the points i made and respond with one line silly little digs with no evidence nor depth, again, as i said previously I am in my second year at university studying Computer Science at a top 20 university and have experience in the IT industry, trust me when I say BTEC + a degree is a very good option, well it is for Computing at least, im not entirely sure about the others but i cant imagine much difference especially for Engineering or Applied Science.

Come back to me when you actually have responces to what i am saying and actually have evidence for your original claim that BTECs are for idiots, which, im sure you dont have because i think ive said enough already to disprove whatever you come back with.
If anyone can help me with Unit 26 Industrial Chemical Reactions, It will be very helpful, its urgent, PLEASE.
Also if anyone needs help with units from the 1 year, I can try my best to help you.
Original post by NaumanZoSo
Yeah Im hopefully to get D*D*D I have applied to Lancaster, Nottingham, Hertfordshire, Sussex, Plymouth. Im applying for Bsc Honours in Biology and Psychology

I got 3 Offers which are Nottingham, Hertfordshire, Sussex and 1 Rejection. Also got a interview on the 16th for lancaster.

If you need any help darling private message with your coursework:smile:

Hi I need help on Unit 11 Physiology of Human Body Systems on the merit and distinction.
Original post by smairah
i think i've done that unit inbox me if you need help!

Struggling with unit 11 Physiology of Human Body Systems on the merit and distinction can you help please.
Original post by Eat_revision
Struggling with unit 11 Physiology of Human Body Systems on the merit and distinction can you help please.

oh that unit is a b*st*rd.. which assignment are you on?
Original post by BMWM5
Just to let you know there is a book which you can purchase costs around £20. The whole course is structured around that book. Any thing of any unit you study will be in there. It's like the answer book for btec. It shows you want units you are doing. If you want let me know I'll send you a link for that specific edexel book.

can you tell me what book this is
Original post by nikkinikki123
The first year I got D*. I am hoping at the end of this course to achieve D*D*D*. However I really want to be a brain surgeon or a Forensic Pathologist, what degree should I study first in order to then go to medical school because I am already aware I cannot go straight into Medicine with this diploma (I am pretty sure). Thank-you.

it depends on which part of the country you are in. there are foundation course's and partner programs to go onto Medicine, that will accept btec.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Melilqlq
If anyone can help me with Unit 26 Industrial Chemical Reactions, It will be very helpful, its urgent, PLEASE.
Also if anyone needs help with units from the 1 year, I can try my best to help you.

Need help Unit 11: Asignment 1 tissues and organs Task 2 and 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending