The Student Room Group

PhD CV

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of writing out my PhD application and the CV has stumped me a little. I've included my degree, classification, independent research experience and individual awards as well as the usual contact details.

Do I include the usual stuff such as non academic work, School/college qualifications? And do I include details of presentations I've given during undergraduate study?

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThompsonLiam
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of writing out my PhD application and the CV has stumped me a little. I've included my degree, classification, independent research experience and individual awards as well as the usual contact details.

Do I include the usual stuff such as non academic work, School/college qualifications? And do I include details of presentations I've given during undergraduate study?

Cheers

Include anything that you want them to know about you, anything that supports your application, that doesn't fit elsewhere in the application process.

Non-academic work might or might not be relevant, but probably won't do any harm.
School/college qualifications can probably be kept to a minimum (e.g. 10 GCSEs, 3 A Levels (AAA))
Presentations are probably worth including but will carry more weight if they are at more high profile or external events.

Think of the whole thing as 'selling yourself in a CV format'
Reply 2
Put in the stuff that is specifically relevant to the PhD. For instance:

Engineering PhD:

- I did some coding for Google blah blah - USEFUL to put into CV
- I did some some teaching in primary school - Potentially USEFUL
- I draw in my spare time - NOT USEFUL for this PhD
I put in membership of research bodies/academic societies
Qualifications from GCSE to most recent, relevant experience and any others from which you've gained relevant transferable skills (but limit this to maybe the last 2 years), conference abstracts, awards, professional body membership

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending