The Student Room Group

Don't waste your hard-earned money on supplements

Hey guys, you wanted to save some of you out there some money by telling you that supplement don't really make a difference and the guys that sponsored by nutrition companies or any big sports brand come to think of it are usually on steroids or other performance enhancing drugs.

Just don't waste your money on protein supplements, your going to put more strain on your kidneys if you have excessive protein and then your going to make for some really expensive piss.

Disagree? Feel free to comment below for a discussion (I really enjoy learning about nutrition). Thanks.
Unless you're eating a ridiculous amount of protein, you're not going to affect your kidneys

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is true that many of the athletes sponsored are on P.E.Ds but drinking a few protein shakes wont harm your kidneys.
Original post by knoxode
Hey guys, you wanted to save some of you out there some money by telling you that supplement don't really make a difference and the guys that sponsored by nutrition companies or any big sports brand come to think of it are usually on steroids or other performance enhancing drugs.

Just don't waste your money on protein supplements, your going to put more strain on your kidneys if you have excessive protein and then your going to make for some really expensive piss.

Disagree? Feel free to comment below for a discussion (I really enjoy learning about nutrition). Thanks.

For me I notice gains just from eating peanut butter sandwiches post workout and eating eggs a few hrs later and of course dont forget the chicken.

It may just be my genetics because I am making more gains than my friend who takes protein shakes and creatine and hes the same age as me 15 so there is no excuse. Mabye when im older ill try a shake to see if they give greater gains..
Reply 5
Original post by Daemon
I agree with you. Not much point in taking supplements unless you're on a plant-based diet and need B12.

Well, I am on a plant based piety and I can say that I don't need a B12 supplement because I get it from soy milk.
Never taken them and still look really good.

I can maintain muscle at single figure bodyfat and have good cardiovascular fitness.
Rubbish. Excessive amounts of protein may harm your kidneys, but the usual ballpark figure of 1g of protein to 1lb of bodyweight isn't excessive. Nothing wrong with whey protein, in fact it's a dairy source and due to its make-up and amino acid profile is considered a first class source of protein up there with eggs and meat. I switched to getting the majority of my protein from whey about a year ago (because I used to love meat but was getting bored of pounding back over 1lbs of it each day) and I've made great progress this past year. As long as you're getting your protein from a quality source (which whey is as already clarified) then that's all that matters.
Reply 8
Original post by NathanDYEL
It is true that many of the athletes sponsored are on P.E.Ds but drinking a few protein shakes wont harm your kidneys.

But it's never 'a few', it always turns into 1 daily, then some people go for 2 daily. Before you know it you are consuming 2 scoops of random processed protein rubbish every day.

I agree with the thread starter, however, on the plus side, all the people plowing sacks of protein into their body can only harm themselves so it doesn't really matter.
Original post by Marcos!
But it's never 'a few', it always turns into 1 daily, then some people go for 2 daily. Before you know it you are consuming 2 scoops of random processed protein rubbish every day.

I agree with the thread starter, however, on the plus side, all the people plowing sacks of protein into their body can only harm themselves so it doesn't really matter.

So you're saying consuming a 25g protein shake twice a day will cause liver/kidney problems??? right okay.

I just had a 75g protein, 110g carbs, and 39g fat shake...... Not dead yet.
I need me dat zinc doe.
Reply 11
Original post by NathanDYEL
So you're saying consuming a 25g protein shake twice a day will cause liver/kidney problems??? right okay.

I just had a 75g protein, 110g carbs, and 39g fat shake...... Not dead yet.

Said a healthy young person once.
Original post by Marcos!
Said a healthy young person once.

Get big or die trying. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest