The Student Room Group

Post Your Favourite Inspirational Quotes :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Matrix123
That's true. However, I do feel that sometimes some people need to feel excellent because they may be in a very difficult situation that causes them to believe that they simply cannot succeed. This could potentially be very serious. It's important to support these people and make sure they realise that they are equal to everyone else because they are better than they thought. (I have disregarded my own opinion of everyone being excellent in some way or other as that is a different matter).

Overestimating your own abilities will lead to just as much upset as when underestimated. Self-fulfilling prophecies are inapplicable with goals beyond our capabilities; not everyone is excellent or equal to each other, hence why different individuals will achieve comparatively more or less. This variance is not derived from our mindset, but from our aptitude in whatever our goal requires of us, which is determined by experience.

I like the idea of being able to meet yourself because with new situations faced and new experiences, people change and this idea of meeting with yourself can mean that you are trying to understand the changes made and how this may prove beneficial in the future. I personally think that this quote is very clever. :smile:

It's pretty much common sense that humans are constantly changing; whether any significant change occurs on a daily basis, however, is arguable—and leads me to think that this quote is hyperbolic, which unfortunately detracts from the meaning. There are far better quotes that convey the same message.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
Overestimating your own abilities will lead to just as much upset as when underestimated. Self-fulfilling prophecies are inapplicable with goals beyond our capabilities; not everyone is excellent or equal to each other, hence why different individuals will achieve comparatively more or less. This variance is not derived from our mindset, but from our aptitude in whatever our goal requires of us, which is determined by experience.

It's pretty much common sense that humans are constantly changing; whether any significant change occurs on a daily basis, however, is arguable—and leads me to think that this quote is hyperbolic, which unfortunately detracts from the meaning. There are far better quotes that convey the same message.

The guy who originally gave the quote didn't have English as a first language and the quote itself I believe has been translated from his original mother tongue - probably why the hyperbole crept in. It certainly loses something in translation.
Original post by Kiytt

I just believe that the ability to acknowledge the possible capabilities leads to hope which in turn can be necessary for success. A lot of what you said I agree with and a few I don't. Maybe we could agree to disagree? :smile:
Original post by nucdev
The guy who originally gave the quote didn't have English as a first language and the quote itself I believe has been translated from his original mother tongue - probably why the hyperbole crept in. It certainly loses something in translation.

That's also very true. It's a real shame that that happens but I guess we just can't get completely accurate translations in life. :frown:
At least most of the key message was apparent through the translation. :biggrin:
Reply 345
I just believe that the ability to acknowledge the possible capabilities leads to hope which in turn can be necessary for success. A lot of what you said I agree with and a few I don't. Maybe we could agree to disagree? :smile:

Not sure what there is that I've said that could be disagreed with.
Reply 346
Original post by nucdev

Well, that somewhat justifies it. Thanks for letting me know.
"Being realistic is the most commonly travelled path to mediocrity"

- Will Smith

Since I heard that quote, it just fuels me
I stand by what I say.
Because that's my ninja way!
My personal favourites are-

"If plan A doesn't work remember that they're 25 other letters in the alphabet- don't give up."

"Shoot for the moon and even if you fall you'll land amongst the stars"

:smile:
You learn from failure not success.
Life is kinda like a dance, you gotta take one step back for each two steps forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When your mind says "give up", hope whispers "one more try".
bb2f0a30a6bf567176dd5c0bf1430285.jpg
Hi, there are some fantastic quotes from @LordwinOfficial, @IAmYourdog, @VioletPhillippo, @booksandcats, @Andy98 and @the terminator. Thanks. :wink:
"Just do it" - Shia Labeouf

Spoiler

Original post by pizzad0gs
"Just do it" - Shia Labeouf

Spoiler

This quote has been done already but it's great to see how popular some of these quotes are and how many people show they are inspired by the same quotes. Thanks for posting it. :wink:
Hi, there are some fantastic quotes from @LordwinOfficial, @IAmYourdog, @VioletPhillippo, @booksandcats, @Andy98 and @the terminator. Thanks. :wink:

Glad you appreciate it - I can't remember if half of mine are actual quotes or not:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Glad you appreciate it - I can't remember if half of mine are actual quotes or not:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM - Haha, don't worry. They were all really inspirational. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest