The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spiritless98
Maybe there's a reason why you can't do medicine/dentistry/vet Med
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics degrees with a BTEC..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth, Keele, Bradford and UEA accept BTEC Applied Medical Science for Medicine or Medicine with foundation...

You can do Bio (or Biomed) at a lot of unis including UCL, Durham, York, Nottingham and lots more

You can do Chem at some unis (limited unless you take a significant amount of chemistry modules on the BTEC or A level chem)

You can do Vet Med with a foundation at a lot of unis and also sometimes dentistry

Also UCL accept BTEC with DDD grades for their BSc Medical Physics programme
(edited 8 years ago)
I personally think it's BS that people look down on BTEC students. Is it simply because we don't have to memorize things for exams? If that's the case then it's completely stupid. We get coursework after coursework so we're constantly working too.
It's also harsh to say that BTEC students have low ability when that isn't completely true. I got the grades for the a-levels I wanted to do, however because of the career I want to go into I decided to do BTEC health and social care as I found it more helpful than the a level one. Sure we may not get into top universities but that doesn't mean we can't do well and achieve. I mean a lot of the girls in my health and social care class wants to go into mental nursing, children's nursing, midwifery, teaching, therapist, public health and even paramedic. They're all fantastic careers so it's not like we're dumb and we don't try.
Another thing that bugs me is when people assume that those who does apprentiships are thick. No. My friend got A*s, As and Bs but she did an apprentiships because she wanted to. She does well and enjoys it so that's all it matters.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I personally think it's BS that people look down on BTEC students. Is it simply because we don't have to memorize things for exams? If that's the case then it's completely stupid. We get coursework after coursework so we're constantly working too.
It's also harsh to say that BTEC students have low ability when that isn't completely true. I got the grades for the a-levels I wanted to do, however because of the career I want to go into I decided to do BTEC health and social care as I found it more helpful than the a level one. Sure we may not get into top universities but that doesn't mean we can't do well and achieve. I mean a lot of the girls in my health and social care class wants to go into mental nursing, children's nursing, midwifery, teaching, therapist, public health and even paramedic. They're all fantastic careers so it's not like we're dumb and we don't try.
Another thing that bugs me is when people assume that those who does apprentiships are thick. No. My friend got A*s, As and Bs but she did an apprentiships because she wanted to. She does well and enjoys it so that's all it matters.

How so? I did a BTEC Extended in IT and im at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science

Especially for Nursing you can really get into a top uni as the Health and Social Care BTEC as you said is better than the A level

Surrey (2nd for Nursing) - DDM
Liverpool (3rd for Nursing) - DDD
Birmingham (4th for Nursing) - DDM
UEA (5th for Nursing) - DDM
Kings College London - DDM
Southampton - D*DD
York - DDM
Nottingham - DDM
Cardiff - DDM
Manchester - DDM
Sheffield - DDM
Leeds - DDD

^ All for Nursing ^
Original post by 1secondsofvamps

Nothing personal, it's just that BTECS are not on the same calibre as A levels. It's true that not everyone is suited for exams, so they should take the route that would is most suitable for them. I think it's ridiculous that BTECS can be equivalent to A levels. Like someone mentioned, there's a reason why BTECS are not valid for certain unis/courses. With BTECS, you do your coursework, you get feedback, make improvements and your grade is perfected, whereas with A levels, we have one chance. No feedback, no improvements, no suggestions, nothing.

I don't see how someone could fail a BTEC, buts its very much possible to fail an A level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
How so? I did a BTEC Extended in IT and im at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science

Especially for Nursing you can really get into a top uni as the Health and Social Care BTEC as you said is better than the A level

Surrey (2nd for Nursing) - DDM
Liverpool (3rd for Nursing) - DDD
Birmingham (4th for Nursing) - DDM
UEA (5th for Nursing) - DDM
Kings College London - DDM
Southampton - D*DD
York - DDM
Nottingham - DDM
Cardiff - DDM
Manchester - DDM
Sheffield - DDM
Leeds - DDD

^ All for Nursing ^

Nobody is saying that BTECS are useless. It's just that unis prefer A levels...

My sister did a BTEC and got the equivalent to 3 As and she got declined from Surrey. They preferred A levels and midwifery is an oversubscribed course as it is, so the A level students got priority. (despite advertising that they accept BTECS)

It's not that big of a deal for a course like nursing or midwifery though. Everyone leaves uni with the same qualification whether they're at southbank or Surrey
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ryanx623
I get that with certain courses, Health + Social care for example are complete knobs, However courses like Engineering are filled with A-level capable students...

wth dude you cant just call them knobs because of that when you don't even know their intentions. doing engineering doesn't make you superior either
Original post by hellodave5
Why not?

Academically, are clearly not as difficult as A levels, sure. But ultimately I don't think that matters all that much, as the purpose really is to prepare for university, which I feel BTEC does adequately.

I have a preference for BTEC in that they are specific and also practical, which I feel makes learning more enjoyable, which was the draw for me as someone not particularly academic.

As they are more practical and specific (targeted) they are probably more auspicious to the world of work than if you took A levels, which are purely academic. The assessment style requires consistent unfaltered sustained effort, and so fosters reliability and consistency. Something which at university is really valuable.

Sure, BTECs are generally for those that aren't from academic backgrounds. But this doesn't mean that they aren't difficult or valuable to a similar degree to A levels.

Sure a DDD (triple distinction) isn't in real academic terms worth AAA (arbitrarily maybe ABB?), but that's not to say that their value as a course is intrinsically lesser. I think that alternative modes of education should be something which is highly supported. Those that ran my BTEC course did an amazing job, and I feel eternally grateful for the experience.

That's my point. They aren't going to be as academically hard as a levels, so in my eyes btecs are just of lesser value

Original post by yt7777
You have no idea...

Im a second year degree student and I had so much more work when I was doing my BTEC and a lot more stressed out, and im now doing Computer Science at a top 20 uni

- If you miss a single pass assignment which is like 1/12th of a single module you fail the entire course (or at least 1/3rd of it),

- I used to have at least a deadline every week and wrote around 10,000 words per module (18 modules)

- My BTEC work was also up to the standard of undergraduate level (in a sense) as for similar written assignments at uni I have literally just used the exact work from my BTEC coursework (where applicable) 2 years prior and never got less than a first class for a written assignment on my degree

Yes you fail the entire course because if you can't be bothered to do an assignment and you don't actually have to learn and understand anything if you copy it well into an assignment, they're not gonna give you a pass. They know it's quite easy and if you can't even be bothered to do that, then well they're not gonna give out qualifications completely free with no input :wink:

Original post by Princepieman
Inb4 yt777 posts bs stats about BTEC + degree students being 10% more employable. Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
perfectly legitimate statistics, I included 3 different sources on one of my other postsA levels dont give you practical skills at the end of the day, i'm not saying that thats a bad thing eitherAnd I rarely compare subjects I know nothing about, I have experience with both IT and Computing A levels and the BTEC equivalent, the BTEC is far better in terms of employment related skills and equal on academic content, I have also been told by professionals working within the Software Engineering industry that the BTEC in IT or specifically the Software Development pathway is much better preparation, with computing A level, yes, you learn how to program but you dont actually go into good industrial practices, design methodologies, agile development etc.You're doing Computer Science at uni right? I'm in my second year of my CS degree and I have seen quite a few people on my course with Maths/FM and Science A levels actually struggle with the computing side to the course, I actually think it is really beneficial to study Computing prior, but again, the BTEC is superior in my opinion, but anyway im going a bit off topic now...I never mentioned 10%, I use the following statisticBTEC + Degree: 80%A levels + Degree: 73%Sources:- http://uk.pearson.com/home/news/2013/may/graduates-are-more-likely-to-be-employed--and-as-likely-to-succe.html- https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/degrees-of-success-for-btec-and-a-level-students/2003776.article-http://www.teachingtimes.com/articles/graduates-vocational-course.htm
For what jobs hahaha? Let me go do health and social btec and become a doctor :wink:

There's a reason you can't go into Oxbridge science with applied science btec guys :wink:
Original post by RonnieRJ
That's my point. They aren't going to be as academically hard as a levels, so in my eyes btecs are just of lesser value

Yes you fail the entire course because if you can't be bothered to do an assignment and you don't actually have to learn and understand anything if you copy it well into an assignment, they're not gonna give you a pass. They know it's quite easy and if you can't even be bothered to do that, then well they're not gonna give out qualifications completely free with no input :wink:

For what jobs hahaha? Let me go do health and social btec and become a doctor :wink:

There's a reason you can't go into Oxbridge science with applied science btec guys :wink:

I agree that BTECS aren't as rigorous as A levels but your last statements are a bit stupid. Everyone knows you can't do BTEC health and apply for medicine, that's common sense.

Those who do health and social BTEC often apply for nursing/early years/childhood studies or something along those lines. It's relevant to what they studied at college and if that's where their interest lies, why does it matter to you?
Original post by cherryred90s
I agree that BTECS aren't as rigorous as A levels but your last statements are a bit stupid. Everyone knows you can't do BTEC health and apply for medicine, that's common sense.

Those who do health and social BTEC often apply for nursing/early years/childhood studies or something along those lines. It's relevant to what they studied at college and if that's where their interest lies, why does it matter to you?

No I don't care what their interests are that's not relevant I'm say applicants for eg medicine do a levels because they're demanding and show your true ability in the subject field
Just my two cents on this.

I'm an A level student, at our local grammar school, studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm predicted straight A*s and I've applied to study Physics at uni. My boyfriend is taking a B Tec level 3 extended diploma in Engineering at our local college. I have two other friends on the same course, one of whom is in his final year and predicted D*D*D*, and applying to the same universities as me.

My boyfriend is definitely at least as bright as me - I'd go with possibly more so, but he won't allow that :tongue: But anyway, we're of comparable intelligence, taking comparable subjects, so it's fair to compare how difficult we find them. There really isn't much in it - the difficulty is so similar. Throughout the year, obviously I get less coursework (although, I do get coursework! for example, for physics I've just had to write a 2000 word research resport and presentation, and I also did the EPQ last year which was ongoing coursework throughout the year) so I tend to have an easier time, but nearer exams, that switches and I'm under more pressure. Difficulty of subject content - pretty much identical.

I reckon it's just an elitest thing; people will do anything to feel better about themselves. I know it's easy for me to say, but just ignore it - people are dicks. You know that level 3 B Tecs are the exact equivalent of 3 A Levels - D*D*D* directly translates into A*A*A* - and universities know that too. You also know you're probably better qualified to go straight into a job or apprenticeship. Unfortunately, people are always going to be dicks. :frown:

I think we all need to get on with each other. A level students are definitely the biggest culprits here, but at the same time, the minority of you who are - please don't go round saying things like "A level students have no concept of the real world" or whatever too. We both do work experience, we both have part time jobs, we both do extra circular stuff. The only difference is how our work is assessed. Surely we shouldn't let that come between us?
(edited 8 years ago)
No I don't care what their interests are that's not relevant I'm say applicants for eg medicine do a levels because they're demanding and show your true ability in the subject field

Very ignorant. It clearly is relevant and that's why most unis list it as one of their accepted BTECS...

Not everyone wants to be a doctor, so like I said before, the people who do BTECS are aware that they cannot apply for medicine and that is perfectly fine if you don't want to do medicine, don't you get that?

BTECS are not completely useless and whether you like it or not, they are enough to get onto to certain uni courses.

Its like saying that people who do A level health&social, sociology and history are no good because they cannot apply for medicine. Don't you think they were aware of that when they chose their A level subjects?

Everyone knows you must do A levels in specific subjects to be able to study medicine at uni. What is your point? I've said that I agree that BTECS are not as rigorous as A levels, but they do have a purpose too..
(edited 8 years ago)

No, but B Tecs aren't meant to be for theoretical subjects. You can get into, for example, both Cambridge and Oxford Engineering with a level 3 Engineering B Tec.

Also, I take A levels (and before you say I must take A levels which aren't rigorous, I take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, and am predicted straight A*s) and I have friends taking level 3 B Tecs, ans the content is almost directly comparable. B tecs are not "of lesser value"; even Oxbridge accept them as equals to A levels, and they're worth identical UCAS points, which is probably proof enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
BTECs are not rigorous qualifications (unless it's for IT, Engineering or Applied Science), whereas A-levels are and they really determine how good someone is in a subject.

Well, that's just like saying "A levels are not rigorous qualifications (unless it's for science, maths, or english lit)". There are more respected and less respected subjects in both. I'm not trying to start a hard / soft subject war, but - P.E., home economics, applied science, art, photography and business studies are all A Levels.
Because most people on TSR are elitist douchebags.
Original post by loveire&song
No, but B Tecs aren't meant to be for theoretical subjects. You can get into, for example, both Cambridge and Oxford Engineering with a level 3 Engineering B Tec.

Also, I take A levels (and before you say I must take A levels which aren't rigorous, I take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, and am predicted straight A*s) and I have friends taking level 3 B Tecs, ans the content is almost directly comparable. B tecs are not "of lesser value"; even Oxbridge accept them as equals to A levels and they're worth identical UCAS points, which is probably proof enough.

image.png
Lmaoo where do you see Oxbridge accepting BTECs? Haha

And please stop, "btec content is comparable to my a levels" um please find me a btec student who can do FP3 and then we'll talk lmao

Also it's spelt BTEC :wink:
Original post by millie99101
Like think about it, in the real world if you're in a job they don't just say 'oh yeah here's a desk and a pen, and a room filled with silence where you can use only the power of your mind to come up with the next latest invention or business plan or teaching plan' or whatever... not only this they throw in a unrealistic time limit...
Yeah because this totally happens in the real world...NOT.

To be successful in a job, depending on what you do, you need other people for advice, you need resources and the ability to learn through other sources or people.
You need surveys and knowledge...
You're not gonna get that from simply doing what is stated above.

Realistically I feel that BTEC students are more prepared for the 'working world' than an A level student in some cases because we are taught how to work around these things and achieve using independent research etc...

Sorry this is really just aimed at exams in general,
Had this on my mind for ages!

Honestly, I find this so true. It's not like employers are going to give you an exam in an interview..

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.png

And please stop, "btec content is comparable to my a levels" um please find me a btec student who can do FP3 and then we'll talk lmao

At least a BTEC GETS you into uni, even if it's not in a 'top uni' but still at least a BTEC student can go into uni if they wish to..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
At least a BTEC GETS you into uni, even if it's not in a 'top uni' but still at least a BTEC student can go into uni if they wish to..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm not saying they can't go uni but it ain't gonna be one of the best is it? Because top unis don't really accept BTECs

Lesser academic value for an equivalent grade. Not necessarily overall less valuable. More specificity in course making you more employable.
I view it as simply a method of teaching which works for everyone, instead of A levels which suits, usually, those from academic backgrounds.
image.png

This is a bit of a poor reference because Oxbridge aren't normal universities.
Many universities, including Red Brick, accept BTEC (even if in lieu with an additional A level).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending