The Student Room Group

Can't afford life

So all my friends shop in topshop, river island, etc. I can just about shop in new look let alone river island. They have so much nice clothes and i just have cheap quality stuff from primark. What is a girl to do struggling to keep up with the latest trends ? seriously do not tell me get a job I already have one working very hard however i have to contribute to my household as well as pay for my bills.
I've been wearing the same dress for 15 years, you don't need to follow any trends trust me.
Charity shops sometimes yield gems to be fair...
Reply 3
Original post by lledrith

Indeed,especially the ones in rich areas of course.

But finding the right size can be a pain if you're a woman.:frown:
Move to the USA?
Original post by moggis
Indeed,especially the ones in rich areas of course.

But finding the right size can be a pain if you're a woman.:frown:

True! Very hit and miss. It's pretty fun to mooch around though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by BobbyFlay
I've been wearing the same dress for 15 years, you don't need to follow any trends trust me.

How does it make you feel wearing the same dress for 15 years and people see you day in day out with the same one dress? Is it by choice by the way ?
Original post by jujujal
How does it make you feel wearing the same dress for 15 years and people see you day in day out with the same one dress? Is it by choice by the way ?

It feels good man.
You shouldn't care about what people think. At the end of the day its just gonna be you at your apartment. So wear whatever you like!
Reply 8
Original post by Chant No.1
Move to the USA?

Does it sound like I can afford a ticket to the Usa when i can barely buy socks
Original post by jujujal
Does it sound like I can afford a ticket to the Usa when i can barely buy socks

I was just kidding.
Reply 10
Original post by lledrith

I just don't feel comfortable wearing something someone else has worn. For all I know they could have been doing all sorts... I rather not
Original post by jujujal
I just don't feel comfortable wearing something someone else has worn. For all I know they could have been doing all sorts... I rather not

I know its not quite the same but any of the clothes from other shops could have at least been worn by someone in the changing room.
Unless its packaged you don't know someone else has never worn it really.
Original post by jujujal

If you must buy new clothes, just do it once every 6 months or something and look at sales... It's honestly not that big a deal to be 'on trend' unless you work in the industry.

Besides, often the stuff in charity shops are items that were worn once and never again, much like the stuff in shops that has been tired on by everyone and their cat in fitting rooms.
Original post by claireestelle
I know its not quite the same but any of the clothes from other shops could have at least been worn by someone in the changing room.
Unless its packaged you don't know someone else has never worn it really.

Ha, beat me to it. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Just buy a few items a month so it will add up in the long run. You don't necessarily have to buy your clothes from Topshop. Give H&M and Boohoo a try. There is nothing wrong with Primark clothes. It's all about how you carry yourself :smile:
Reply 15
So you CAN afford life just not the lifestyle you believe you're entitled to live?
I can't afford new clothes either, can't afford to have my hair done, nails done or any of that malarky. I still look alright and if anyone wants to judge me because my eyebrows aren't threaded/plucked/waxed and then drawn back on or because I don't own a pair of Jimmy Choos (or whatever) then they're not particularly the kind of people I would want to associate myself with anyway, so really no loss to me. I would rather someone judge me for the person I am than the clothes on my back.
Reply 16
Original post by HzlC
So you CAN afford life just not the lifestyle you believe you're entitled to live?
I can't afford new clothes either, can't afford to have my hair done, nails done or any of that malarky. I still look alright and if anyone wants to judge me because my eyebrows aren't threaded/plucked/waxed and then drawn back on or because I don't own a pair of Jimmy Choos (or whatever) then they're not particularly the kind of people I would want to associate myself with anyway, so really no loss to me. I would rather someone judge me for the person I am than the clothes on my back.

Well unlike you hunty, I do not look alright but however good for you though :wink:
most of us are to poor to wear nice clothes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending