The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by burnt0range
My family would be completely fine with me marrying an Indian or Bengali muslim. My cousin is gonna be engaged to a South Indian muslim guy and fam is very happy.

Are you Indian or Bengali?

My family have realised that it's too difficult for someone to find their 'fit' by staying only in their culture

I.e if I become really academic and want to marry a Indian/Pakistani guy who's very similar, they'll just agree, as long as he's somewhat Muslim lol
I definitely wouldn't mind, neither would my parents though they'd want them to be the same religion.
Original post by TSRian123454321
I wouldn't mind, but my parents would probably hunt me and never let me see the light of day again if I did marry anyone of a different background.

Spoiler

This.
Btw OP you forgot Sri Lankans.
Reply 64
Original post by BrokenLife
How do I flirt with him? I go mute when I see his face.:colonhash: Anyhow, tbh what can I say to get the message across?:redface:

Haha aww thanks. Same for you, I'm here. :smile:

The key is to not overthink it. Say something like 'Did you know that a lot of Pakistani girls prefer Indian guys to anyone else. Well I'm one of those girls.' Then blush and look down. Hopefully when you look up at him he'll look at you with a look of love or thirst. :sexface:. He'll say 'How long were you planning to make me wait for this moment.' :love:
(I daydream a lot.) :colondollar:
Original post by arfah
The key is to not overthink it. Say something like 'Did you know that a lot of Pakistani girls prefer Indian guys to anyone else. Well I'm one of those girls.' Then blush and look down. Hopefully when you look up at him he'll look at you with a look of love or thirst. :sexface:. He'll say 'How long were you planning to make me wait for this moment.' :love:
(I daydream a lot.) :colondollar:

OMG hahahahahahaha OMG this genuinely cracked me soooo badly!!! :biggrin:

Arfah, you're the best! You know alot!:tongue:
Original post by rajneetk
If you have kids one of you will have to and doing the Nikkah.
A Muslim girl has to marry a Muslim.
A Muslim man however can marry a Christian and Jewish woman.

Two women in my extended family married Hindu men (they've also had kids) and they didn't have to convert to Islam (then again, my mum's mum's family is very liberal)
Original post by enaayrah

My family have realised that it's too difficult for someone to find their 'fit' by staying only in their culture

I.e if I become really academic and want to marry a Indian/Pakistani guy who's very similar, they'll just agree, as long as he's somewhat Muslim lol

I'm pakistani. I totally agree, I think a lot of brown parents chill out a lot as they grow up in the West and see the real world. Not completely chill but big difference! Like, I always assumed they'd want to do the typical arranged marriage for me and pakistani only, but now that my cousins and I are all marriage age, they allow us to date to find someone. They'd prefer desi but I could bring home a non-desi muslim guy and they'll work with it. So weird, I did NOT expect that a decade ago lol.
Nah my dad would disown me tho..
Original post by enaayrah

"really academic" :five:

Nice to hear that people are quite keen on academia as opposed to just getting a degree and doing random stuff for the rest of your life :lol:
Reply 70
Original post by BrokenLife
OMG hahahahahahaha OMG this genuinely cracked me soooo badly!!! :biggrin:

Arfah, you're the best! You know alot!:tongue:

Aww I'm glad I made you laugh :biggrin:
I'm from a Bangladeshi Muslim background (though I don't really identify as Muslim and am more an apathetic atheist/agnostic with regards to religion) and I plan to marry a Punjabi Sikh girl. :h: My parents and her parents don't mind either. To be honest, I prefer non-Bangladeshi South Asians, though I like the Bengalis from India.
I wouldn't mind marrying a Bangladeshi or Pakistani, depends on the person.

I don't think my parents would mind me marrying a Pakistani either, as long as she is from some Jat tribe lol.
Original post by TSRian123454321
I wouldn't mind, but my parents would probably hunt me and never let me see the light of day again if I did marry anyone of a different background.

Spoiler

i think its safe to say indian families are not ready for such a cross over. as someone said the family would be looked down upon if they married into islam (especially as they would require the guy /girl to convert to islam anyway)
overall the cultures are very similar but it is the islamic thing were the differences really kick in, because those are arabic traditions not asian.
indian ppl can actually be quite open minded, ive seen indians marry white christians, jews, sikhs and buddhists all while maintaining their own culture and sharing the ir partners. but what you suggest might be a step too far. and id imagine many white families may have the same issue, mainly becuase of the political issues int he world you hear about islam etc and also waht some converts end up getting into
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chakede
i think its safe to say indian families are not ready for such a cross over. as someone said the family would be looked down upon if they married into islam (especially as they would require the guy /girl to convert to islam anyway)
overall the cultures are very similar but it is the islamic thing were the differences really kick in.
indian ppl can actually be quite open minded, ive seen indians marry white christians, jews, sikhs and buddhists all while maintaining their own culture and sharing the ir partners. but what you suggest might be a step too far. and id imagine many white families may have the same issue, mainly becuase of the political issues int he world you hear about islam etc and also waht some converts end up getting into

As someone from a Bangladeshi Muslim background, I agree 100%. I don't really identify as Muslim, however, and plan to marry a Punjabi Sikh girl soon. Her parents were thankfully liberal regarding our marriage, but even then, they were initially slightly reluctant due to my Muslim background. However, they immediately warmed up to me when I pointed out to them that I wasn't really Muslim. I think it also helped that they assumed I was a Punjabi (I don't look typically/stereotypically Bengali and get mistaken for a North-West Indian/Pakistani all the time, but I digress lol.)
Honestly, I can't blame them for feeling that way. I'm not very fond of Islam as a religion myself and couldn't imagine marrying a conservative, religious Muslim (though I could accept a non-observant one). The prospect of it is as alien to me as it is to people from non-Muslim backgrounds.
indian/pakistani girls are hot but why do your families have to be so racist and crazy smh (not all obvs, but this thread hardly paints a positive picture of tolerance)
Original post by Anonymous
As someone from a Bangladeshi Muslim background, I agree 100%. I don't really identify as Muslim, however, and plan to marry a Punjabi Sikh girl soon. Her parents were thankfully liberal regarding our marriage, but even then, they were initially slightly reluctant due to my Muslim background. However, they immediately warmed up to me when I pointed out to them that I wasn't really Muslim. I think it also helped that they assumed I was a Punjabi (I don't look typically/stereotypically Bengali and get mistaken for a North-West Indian/Pakistani all the time, but I digress lol.)
Honestly, I can't blame them for feeling that way. I'm not very fond of Islam as a religion myself and couldn't imagine marrying a conservative, religious Muslim (though I could accept a non-observant one). The prospect of it is as alien to me as it is to people from non-Muslim backgrounds.

yeh i suppose for you thats the best option actually, because if you married into a strict islamic family, they may get pissed when they find out your own feelings on living in an islamic fashion
Original post by 4 pringles days
indian/pakistani girls are hot but why do your families have to be so racist and crazy smh (not all obvs, but this thread hardly paints a positive picture of tolerance)

its not really a racial thing because we are all of similar if not same race. its due to the differecne in religion. islam isnt an asian faith so its significnatly differnt from indian faiths. a lot of indian older generation especially have an issue with their kids marrying a practicing muslim ( especially as it mean he/she would be forced to convert at some point) Indians can be a bit snobbish about this sort of thing
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chakede
its not really a racial thing because we are all of similar if not same race. its due to the differecne in religion. islam isnt an asian faith so its significnatly differnt from indian faiths. a lot of indian older generation especially have an issue with their kids marrying a practicing muslim ( especially as it mean he/she would be forced to convert) Indians can be a bit snobbish about this sort of thing

would you agree that the two most taboo groups for indian parents are muslims and black people?

i have found a liberal one tho so I'm lucky, but the majority of 'desi' parents be crazy :eek:
I'm a Bengali Muslim and I honestly don't care if I get married to anyone of any race. It's just that my parents are going to have a problem about it, especially them being 1st generation British Muslim.

Latest

Trending

Trending