The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rdenz
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked earlier in the forum, but ... I intend to apply for the MPhil in Public Policy. Is there any advantage in applying prior to the 25 February deadline?

It seems, based on this forum, that Cambridge assesses applications and makes offers on a rolling basis.

Thanks.

You've missed all the funding deadlines!

So... the advantage would have been to apply before that, in addition to the reasons other users on this forum have given.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by tsukurutazaki

This is really good to know, thanks! The thing is there is more than one person in the department who would be suitable for supervising my research, so I'm not sure who to contact.

Oh! As I have one possible supervisor, I have been in touch with her for around 3 months so in that sense it was easier to just give her the information directly. Maybe give the administrators a ring tomorrow and ask for their advice - they are there to support your application process and am sure will give you the best answer.

Waiting on referees to do it may take too long. Just get your updated transcript stamped by your university and that's legitimate enough if they want it scanned in. My supervisor didn't even want it stamped purely because it is a stupid thing to lie about and they will find out when you give them the final breakdown of all your results post offer. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, everyone. My first thread here. Anyone is applying/has applied to PhD in Education?
Reply 1023
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Because they are busy people and I'm not sure it's fair to keep bothering them.

This is really good to know, thanks! The thing is there is more than one person in the department who would be suitable for supervising my research, so I'm not sure who to contact.

I wouldn't contact the potential supervisor unless you were already in contact with him/her and even then only as an addition. Send the update to both BoGS and the graduate admission secretary of your department.
Reply 1024
Original post by omgwhat
I hope that it is - and no, it was the MPhil in World History. :smile:

Omg I'm still under consideration by committee and the meeting has passed. Does this mean I didn't make it as you got an interview from the same meeting?

Edit: for either course.
Original post by Broyo
Omg I'm still under consideration by committee and the meeting has passed. Does this mean I didn't make it as you got an interview from the same meeting?

Edit: for either course.

Hey Broyo, don't worry! My supervisor contacted me on the 11th to arrange an interview, which was a day before the History Degree Committee Meeting. I don't think they were related - maybe they're getting around to your one and will arrange something this coming week. :smile:
Reply 1026
Original post by omgwhat
Hey Broyo, don't worry! My supervisor contacted me on the 11th to arrange an interview, which was a day before the History Degree Committee Meeting. I don't think they were related - maybe they're getting around to your one and will arrange something this coming week. :smile:

Oh, that makes me feel a little better. My potential supervisor was ok with my application (I get the impression they're not the sort to display enthusiasm) but I've heard nothing. I've applied to both MPhil Mod. Europe and World after speaking to the admissions and have been under consideration by the degree committee for simply AGES,
Original post by Broyo
Oh, that makes me feel a little better. My potential supervisor was ok with my application (I get the impression they're not the sort to display enthusiasm) but I've heard nothing. I've applied to both MPhil Mod. Europe and World after speaking to the admissions and have been under consideration by the degree committee for simply AGES,

Good! :biggrin: I applied to the Modern European History course in November and was declined in 7 weeks, I applied to World History on the 23rd of December and was offered an interview on the 11th of January.. so the fact that you haven't been rejected from either is a good thing! Just have to be patient. I'm really nervous because I've already been rejected once so it's difficult to get another no after all this time and effort.
Any international applicants for PhD in Genetics around? Or anyone else who has heard anything from the Department with regards to interviews?

I submitted all my applications by the end of November 2015, and everything still seems to be Under Departmental Consideration. Haven't heard anything from Cambridge yet :frown:
Original post by omgwhat
What subject was this for?

Genetics
Original post by flypusher
Genetics

Was this for PhD in Genetics?
Original post by pallavipanda
Any international applicants for PhD in Genetics around? Or anyone else who has heard anything from the Department with regards to interviews?

I submitted all my applications by the end of November 2015, and everything still seems to be Under Departmental Consideration. Haven't heard anything from Cambridge yet :frown:

I applied on November 20th, had my references in around a week and the status changed from "awaiting consideration by department" to "under consideration by department" in another week. I had my interview last week and my status is still the same. My supervisor said he would send in my paperwork for processing today so it might change soon.

Hope this helps :smile:
Was this for PhD in Genetics?

Yes
Original post by flypusher
I applied on November 20th, had my references in around a week and the status changed from "awaiting consideration by department" to "under consideration by department" in another week. I had my interview last week and my status is still the same. My supervisor said he would send in my paperwork for processing today so it might change soon.

Hope this helps :smile:

Congratulations and thanks a lot for the information! I submitted mine just a couple of days after you.

Were you in contact with your potential supervisor before submitting an application? My potential supervisor had requested that all 3 of my referees send him their reference letters.
Congratulations and thanks a lot for the information! I submitted mine just a couple of days after you.

Were you in contact with your potential supervisor before submitting an application? My potential supervisor had requested that all 3 of my referees send him their reference letters.

Yes, I was in contact with him. I initially sent him my CV, then discussed potential research projects and he also reviewed my research proposal required for a scholarship. He also wrote me a letter of support for the same scholarship. He just asked for my MS thesis before the interview. I thought the letters of references were there along with the rest of the application for the faculty to review...
Regarding CVs, did you guys use a normal professional CV or an academic one?
Reply 1036
Original post by Aceadria
Regarding CVs, did you guys use a normal professional CV or an academic one?

Unless you have sustantial publishing credentials, how do you do an academic CV really? I just changed mine to emphasise my education more than work.
Original post by Broyo
Unless you have sustantial publishing credentials, how do you do an academic CV really? I just changed mine to emphasise my education more than work.

That's what I thought but my referee was telling me to use an academic format for my CV. I have no intention of becoming an academic and have no publications (didn't even do a dissertation during my undergraduate degree).

Thank you!
Original post by ggggg123
I have a few CVs depending on what I'm using them for.

My 'jobs' CV brielfy mentions where I went to uni/what I graduated with, but has a comprehensive employment history. My referees are jobs-based, and my descriptive blurb refers to my career goals. I have skills that are related to jobs (like word and excel, lol), and I don't say anything about co-curriculars.

My 'academic' CV has a more substantial education section, which includes what classes I took, the focus of my honours dissertation, and where I went on exchange. It also only has my three most recent jobs, rather than a full history, and lists academics as referees. My blurb is about my research interests, my skills are academic-y, and I have a co-curricular section (NGOs and random tidbits I did throughout uni).

Cater to your audience, I guess - they don't care about whether or not you can greet customers, they care about whether you've taken relevant classes etc!!

That's my impression anyway - hope it's helpful. :smile:

Very! Thank you ever so much :smile:
Original post by Indeterminate
Wow, I don't know what I'd do if I had to wait that long! :eek: Time is going slowly as it is! :lol:

Hopefully you'll hear from them quite soon :biggrin:

Thank you for the support! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending