The Student Room Group

Am I fat shaming this person?

Scroll to see replies

:ditto:
Original post by Blue_Mason
I do not need to have a medical understanding as common sense tells me that being overweight is a blatant sign of being unhealthy.
So therefore I have the leverage as a healthy person to inform her about her physic.

Overweight could be a sign of poor health. It could be a sign of previous poor health that is improving through good lifestyle choices and has already been changed drastically and then some randomer comes and tells fatty to stop shoveling food down their gob.
You can also be skinny and in terrible health - eating all of the wrong things and not exercising but it not catching up with you, disordered eating etc. so lets not pretend this is about health.
Original post by *Stefan*
Overweight people aren't all obese though :wink:

So....
Reply 63
Original post by HappyLifting
So....

Erm... Seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm... Seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your point.
Reply 65
What's your point.

You said obese people are overweight, but not all overweight people are obese.

Thus, not all overweight people "strain" the NHS.
You said obese people are overweight, but not all overweight people are obese.

Thus, not all overweight people "strain" the NHS.

Did i say that all overweight people put a strain on the NHS??
Reply 67
Did i say that all overweight people put a strain on the NHS??

And I have also done it. If you do it right you can be down to a good weight within a year, depending on how fat you were to start with. There is no denying that with limited calories and 1-2 hours of exercise a day you can't lose good amounts of weight if you're already overweight.The vast majoritory will have weak joints because they're overweight, there are many different types of exercise such as swimming which are joint friendly.Im not bothered about the money im more bothered about them stretching NHS resources so much that doctors find it difficult to allocate resources and therefore others suffer.

The extremely generic nature of this quote implies so.
The extremely generic nature of this quote implies so.

No, no it doesn't. And regardless I didn't mean that anyway, obviously not all 'overweight' people put a strain on the NHS.
Reply 69
No, no it doesn't. And regardless I didn't mean that anyway, obviously not all 'overweight' people put a strain on the NHS.

Fair enough...
I had two family members that were obese. One had to get surgery for clogged arteries, and lost some weight, and the other had a heart attack. Fortunately he recovered and lost pounds. Fat people are more likely to have health risks than the average person. So please stop with this "fat acceptance" nonsense. I understand people want to sympathetic but you're pushing them to their graves. I get the difference between chubby and obese but if someone is obese do not encourage them to accept it. Only when they're diagnosed with diabetes, get a heart attack, or just something bad happens to them because of their weight then you want to encourage them to be healthy.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Overweight could be a sign of poor health. It could be a sign of previous poor health that is improving through good lifestyle choices and has already been changed drastically and then some randomer comes and tells fatty to stop shoveling food down their gob.
You can also be skinny and in terrible health - eating all of the wrong things and not exercising but it not catching up with you, disordered eating etc. so lets not pretend this is about health.

unless you are borderline anorexic, being skinny is almost always more healther than being overweight

and where are all these 'health conditions' materialising from all of a sudden that leads to more people becoming obese?

my Nan said you would almost never see an overweight person right up to the late 1960's and this was in central London, so very populated, so please dont use the excuse of 'obesity has always been around at a high rate' because this is a modern phenomenon, and i simply dont see an epidemic of unavoidable health problems being the causation of these high obesity rates

most of the time, being fat is due to laziness and not unavoidable health problems
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you tell not a good looking person to get facial surgery? No. Same way you should keep your opinion to yourself, I'm sure the woman already knew she was overweight, she doesn't need a dickhead to tell her that too.
Original post by Straighthate
unless you are borderline anorexic, being skinny is almost always more healther than being overweight

and where are all these 'health conditions' materialising from all of a sudden that leads to more people becoming obese?

my Nan said you would almost never see an overweight person right up to the late 1960's and this was in central London, so very populated, so please dont use the excuse of 'obesity has always been around at a high rate' because this is a modern phenomenon, and i simply dont see an epidemic of unavoidable health problems being the causation of these high obesity rates

most of the time, being fat is due to laziness and not unavoidable health problems

Did I say it could be due to a health problem causing them to be obese? I said you don't know if they are unhealthy just from looking at their body.

That obese person could have already lost a stone and be well on their way to doing more, be making all of the right choices and exercising and promoting a healthy lifestyle for their children, maybe they got a wake up call when the doctor told them their sugars were too high but they're not anymore because of all of their hard work - but you go ahead and shame them based on looking at them for a couple of seconds.

The skinny person could do no exercise, have terrible eating habits, be passing those to their children, but they get a free ride because they're aesthetically pleasing.

Also, I'm sure your nan is the most reliable source of information.
imho **** fat people they just make it awkward when you have to sit next to them o'th' bus

I've agreed with your points thus far regarding obesity and such, which for the majority is down to poor life choices and lack of drive from their behalf.

Although when you speak of those who have illnesses and such that cannot be avoided and that you simply do not care that they would not be able to afford said private healthcare to survive, you're a ****.

Maybe if you/someone you knew were actually affected by a life changing illness then you'd learn to appreciate the efforts the NHS make to help those in genuine need, and understand how many rely on it - through no fault of their own. :h:
Original post by maxguywell69
imho **** fat people they just make it awkward when you have to sit next to them o'th' bus

God forbid fat people have normal lives and places to go.

I regularly get the bus to the gym. Or to the market to get fresh fruit and veg instead of eating ready meals from the corner shop.
Original post by fr0sr_
I've agreed with your points thus far regarding obesity and such, which for the majority is down to poor life choices and lack of drive from their behalf.

Although when you speak of those who have illnesses and such that cannot be avoided and that you simply do not care that they would not be able to afford said private healthcare to survive, you're a ****.

Maybe if you/someone you knew were actually affected by a life changing illness then you'd learn to appreciate the efforts the NHS make to help those in genuine need, and understand how many rely on it - through no fault of their own. :h:

Glad you agree with me on that part.

If someone I cared about was ill then they would be treated. My family is fairly wealthy and so could afford it.
Original post by ForgetMe
Do you tell not a good looking person to get facial surgery? No. Same way you should keep your opinion to yourself, I'm sure the woman already knew she was overweight, she doesn't need a dickhead to tell her that too.

No need to insult me
Original post by Blue_Mason
No need to insult me

Oh, so now you don't like it when it's the other way round. Don't call other people fat and no one will call you a dickhead :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest