The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sj27
BoGS is administrative - all the academic decisions are taken by the department/degree committee. BoGS ensures you meet the university minimum, checks if you need a language test result, that your transcript isn't fake, etc. no "decision" as such.

Ah cool, thanks!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi everyone,

Has anyone else applied for an Mphil in Multi-Disciplianry Gender Studies?

I applied on 6th Jan and my references were all submitted this Monday just passed. Today my application has changed to "under consideration by department"

Has anyone else been accepted? I'm really worried as I don't come from a great uni, not a top one by any standard and my degree was in drama and classical music, with my dissertation and final projects all focused on gender and feminism. I got mostly firsts in my second year and all firsts in final year, with a first overall.

Just worried I have really taken a risk by applying!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1142
Dear Cambridge,

Why have you left all my applications at degree committee but made decisions for everyone else in History. Am I rejected, do you not love me anymore?
Reply 1143
Original post by RobsErica
Hi everyone,

I applied on 6th Jan and my references were all submitted this Monday just passed. Today my application has changed to "under consideration by department"

Has anyone else been accepted? I'm really worried as I don't come from a great uni, not a top one by any standard and my degree was in drama and classical music, with my dissertation and final projects all focused on gender and feminism. I got mostly firsts in my second year and all firsts in final year, with a first overall.

The reputation of your undergrad uni is nowhere near as important a factor as your grades, which sound very good, and it certainly sounds like your dissertation/project are relevant (I presume you discussed them appropriately in your application) so... No, doesn't at all seem like a risk in applying. Good luck!
Reply 1144
Original post by RobsErica
Hi everyone,

The reputation of your uni has little influence, your rank/grades are much more important. I graduated from a university ranked 3000th in the world and got an offer from Oxford, so...
Reply 1145
Hi everyone, wonder if you could help with some advice. I applied for PhD and my application is currently "Under Consideration by Degree Committee" - I am not in the UK and I just received an email yesterday with a time for a 15 minute Skype interview with the supervisor I applied for in a couple of days - apparently its just a get to know you thing. Any tips or suggestions - very nervous! Anyone have any experience? Thanks
Original post by Broyo
Dear Cambridge,

Why have you left all my applications at degree committee but made decisions for everyone else in History. Am I rejected, do you not love me anymore?

If you are remaining in degree committee, that means the door is still open. I know someone who got reply (rejected) just 3 days after completed the application (reference uploaded by Prof). Being a First Hon from Red Brick, we keep joking that Cambridge should give at least a week for respect.
Reply 1147
Original post by Dutchguy1
Hi guys, I'm new here! I applied for MASt in Mathematical Statistics (tripos part III) and was wondering if any one else did so and heard back? Cheers!

Hey, I've also applied for the Part iii. Sent my application off mid december and it went to "Under consideration by department' on the 4th of Jan. Still waiting now though.... Don't think I've seen anyone get an offer for the part iii yet but i might be wrong.
Reply 1148
Original post by MphilEF
If you are remaining in degree committee, that means the door is still open. I know someone who got reply (rejected) just 3 days after completed the application (reference uploaded by Prof). Being a First Hon from Red Brick, we keep joking that Cambridge should give at least a week for respect.

That's good. (You know what I mean). I'm hoping they're working down a list as my name might as well be Zachary Zuckerman
Reply 1149
I probably shouldn't study at Cambridge, seeing as I'm not even smart enough to upload a photo in the self-service thing. It's JPEG, it's a passport photo, it's about 200KB, it's got the exact size.. But it keeps telling me the photo needs to be JPEG - which it is. Did anyone else run into this?
Original post by royn
I probably shouldn't study at Cambridge, seeing as I'm not even smart enough to upload a photo in the self-service thing. It's JPEG, it's a passport photo, it's about 200KB, it's got the exact size.. But it keeps telling me the photo needs to be JPEG - which it is. Did anyone else run into this?

Contact IT. I had issues uploading the picture initially too; they said it was an issue on their end so I just waited a few days for them to fix it and tried again.
Original post by GregJR
Hey, I've also applied for the Part iii. Sent my application off mid december and it went to "Under consideration by department' on the 4th of Jan. Still waiting now though.... Don't think I've seen anyone get an offer for the part iii yet but i might be wrong.

Come join us in the Part III thread!

As far as I've been able to tell, there's only one person (third post on this page) who has heard back yet.
Have any PhD applicants received an (conditional) offer from Cambridge yet?

Mine says 'Application with degree committee' and I'm wondering how critical this step is or how long it usually takes?
At Oxford, they offer a service to upload supporting materials, e.g. English Language Test Waiver, after you have officially submitted the application. I've applied for MPhil Basic and Translational Neuroscience at Cambridge. I had an interview on Friday, I did not know an answer to 2 questions and I responded incorrectly regarding the statistical test I am going to use in order to analyse my data for my dissertation. Taking into account the fact that I am applying for neuroscience as a person who studies sport science with management may put me in an unfavourable situation.

Although, I scored 1st class overall during 1st and 2nd year, this semester I improved radically and achieved 1st class in an every element (exams, reports, vivas, presentations, etc.). Hence, that would constitute my potential point of attachment if they presumably are on the verge of rejecting me at the moment.

Maybe you guys know if there is a possibility to upload materials (grades) whilst the application is "under consideration by the department"?

Original post by pallavipanda
Have any PhD applicants received an (conditional) offer from Cambridge yet?

Mine says 'Application with degree committee' and I'm wondering how critical this step is or how long it usually takes?

Yes, some PhD students have received offers. When you receive an offer depends on how early you applied, the strength of your application, and your department.
I have a question about the college application process via GRADSAF. Do I understand correctly that my application will first be send to my 1st choice and then, if they don't offer me a place, to my 2nd choice? So if a college fills all their spots with 1st choice applications, there will be no more place for people who have put it as a 2nd choice?
Original post by abfahrt
I have a question about the college application process via GRADSAF. Do I understand correctly that my application will first be send to my 1st choice and then, if they don't offer me a place, to my 2nd choice? So if a college fills all their spots with 1st choice applications, there will be no more place for people who have put it as a 2nd choice?

College places are something of a mystery. A college won't necessarily accept everyone who lists it as their first choice, and may also take people who list it as their second choice. Colleges are also aware of the timescales of the various faculties and schools, and know that some departments are slower than others, etc., so there's always a degree of flexibility in college places. One of the key considerations for colleges where possible is ensuring a mixed, 'interesting' grad community: so a good mix of subjects, of Master's students vs PhDs, and a balance of genders where applicable. The Graduate Tutor(s) in each college review all applications, and make their decisions. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you are guaranteed a college place, and unless you have listed two insanely popular colleges as your choices, there's a reasonable chance one of your two choices will accept you.
(edited 8 years ago)
For History PhD, is it recommended to do the GRE, even for current M.Phil students?
Original post by Aceadria
For History PhD, is it recommended to do the GRE, even for current M.Phil students?

I applied for the PhD while doing a Cambridge MPhil (both in History), and don't ever recall the GRE being mentioned. This was a couple of years ago so it may have changed though...
Original post by gutenberg
I applied for the PhD while doing a Cambridge MPhil (both in History), and don't ever recall the GRE being mentioned. This was a couple of years ago so it may have changed though...

Thanks! I'm not sure if it's worth doing it if I'll already be at Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending