The Student Room Group

Gay cake row and freedom of speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
You're not answering though? If someone believed that black people were inferior and wouldn't serve to them, it would be fine for you? This is an identical proposition on different issues. If your answer is, however, different, it would be quite hypocritical, might I say.

You're making them seem like the victims. Lol. So, you think religious people generally imposing their beliefs on others is fine? Cause I'm sure as hell not.

But on topic, they didn't sue for that reason. They sued for sexual discrimination (ie that they were treated differently than a heterosexual couple would). Of course the fact that the owners are Christians here is relevant, but it's not due to the religion per se. It would apply even if it were a Muslim, a Buddhist or something unrelated to a religion altogether.

They are not obliged to agree with everything, but they may not discriminate unless the appeal is successful. Don't see any issue here...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll answer when you read what I said to Lady Comstock.

How is it an imposition of beliefs? If anything suing! is imposing! :rolleyes:
Original post by Rich Rollington
Did you read anything I said?

I am aware of all this, I want an environment where homophobes are run into the dirt, even if they're not being actively homophobic.

Honestly, I would be happy if Churches would double up as gay strip clubs.

No one was being homophobic. They weren't turned away for being gay. Their message was refused because it's stupid and inappropriate. Now you're being obtuse. As long as you keep quoting me to repeat yourself I will do the same:
if skinheads came in and asked for white power on their cake in a Muslim bakery or a black bakery or just any bakery, they can easily and rightfully go against putting it.

I'm SO SICK of anything that doesn't bootlick gays and their antics (this is a huge antic), it's suddenly homophobic.
Reply 42
Original post by mango peeler
I'll answer when you read what I said to Lady Comstock.

How is it an imposition of beliefs? If anything suing! is imposing! :rolleyes:

You may as well direct me there because I'm already taking time away from my study...

I have already explained the first part.

Wot mate? Suing is imposing? We live in a democratic society governed by the rule of law. You can sue for whatever the heck you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do people understand what "turning away for being gay" IS. So many fake claims of being turned away for being gay have been made and swallowed that everyone has seem to forget what that actually IS.

Turned away FOR BEING gay

is as soon as you walk in just being gay and peck your partner on the lips or whatever

you are asked to leave.

THAT is homophobia and discrimination.

NOT refusing to COMPROMISE your RELIGIOUS values for a damn cake.
You may as well direct me there because I'm already taking time away from my study...

I have already explained the first part.

Wot mate? Suing is imposing? We live in a democratic society governed by the rule of law. You can sue for whatever the heck you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excuse me but suing to try to show that "we are here" for being turned away for a cake is imposing gays on society. Now you can't even refuse to do the smallest thing without being persecuted. :hmmm:

Once again I ask you: would you like to be sued for your beliefs?

If I reported you for the post I am responding to right now, and it got taken down, would you want to **** me up?
Yes you would.

And I won't redirect you anywhere, you're the one begging to argue apples and oranges with racism. If you want to see what I think go find my response to Lady Com because it's only two pages long thread mate :lolwut: No excuses.

No one was being homophobic. They weren't turned away for being gay. Their message was refused because it's stupid and inappropriate. Now you're being obtuse. As long as you keep quoting me to repeat yourself I will do the same:
if skinheads came in and asked for white power on their cake in a Muslim bakery or a black bakery or just any bakery, they can easily and rightfully go against putting it.

I'm SO SICK of anything that doesn't bootlick gays and their antics (this is a huge antic), it's suddenly homophobic.

You really don't get it, I know the bakery didn't refuse them for being gay, they refused only to write a message.

This case is like taking a naughty little religious bigot and rubbing his nose in a big pile of piss to teach him a lesson, it's a good thing.
You really don't get it, I know the bakery didn't refuse them for being gay, they refused only to write a message.

This case is like taking a naughty little religious bigot and rubbing his nose in a big pile of piss to teach him a lesson, it's a good thing.

lmao at me not getting it. No I get it, I don't agree. Don't tell me I don't get anything little man. And oh ok an Atheist. Surprising.

Now step aside from your thoughts and if I reported you for this post, and you got penalized for it, you'd be pissed off.

Right?

Right!

:wink: yea

so understand the rage behind being sued for your beliefs.
It's dinner time. :ciao:
@rich rollington @*Stefan*if you respond, that is, I'll get back soon, not quitting or nothing like that:curious:, just letting you know if there's a long pause in me responding. But a man's gotta eat in peace with his lady.
Reply 49
Excuse me but suing to try to show that "we are here" for being turned away for a cake is imposing gays on society. Now you can't even refuse to do the smallest thing without being persecuted. :hmmm:

Once again I ask you: would you like to be sued for your beliefs?

If I reported you for the post I am responding to right now, and it got taken down, would you want to **** me up?
Yes you would.

And I won't redirect you anywhere, you're the one begging to argue apples and oranges with racism. If you want to see what I think go find my response to Lady Com because it's only two pages long thread mate :lolwut: No excuses.

Wot?

No, which is why I would not discriminate others on the basis of my beliefs when I own a place which I know may have to deal with such clients.

I wouldn't actually. Mostly because I know it won't be taken down - I didn't break any rules. If I were being an idiot and insulted you then it's something I'd expect.

I won't. If you want me to read it, simply quote it. I still asked you two questions which you evaded, so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
lmao at me not getting it. No I get it, I don't agree. Don't tell me I don't get anything little man. And oh ok an Atheist. Surprising.

Now step aside from your thoughts and if I reported you for this post, and you got penalized for it, you'd be pissed off.

Right?

Right!

:wink: yea

so understand the rage behind being sued for your beliefs.

I wouldn't actually care if I got reported tbh :dontknow:

People's beliefs don't actually deserve to be respected or protected if their beliefs are a load of damaging BS.

People's beliefs don't actually deserve to be respected or protected if their beliefs are a load of damaging BS.

people have rights, ideas do not

:h:
Original post by walking in sand
people have rights, ideas do not

:h:

Even human rights are a fairly nonsense social construct.

I think protecting gay people/women/ethnic minorities in generally a good thing, I am aware of the hypocrisy of a liberal nation persecuting these homophobes for refusing to have a political message on their product, but I still think the outcome is good.
Even human rights are a fairly nonsense social construct.

I think protecting gay people/women/ethnic minorities in generally a good thing, I am aware of the hypocrisy of a liberal nation persecuting these homophobes for refusing to have a political message on their product, but I still think the outcome is good.

okay lets try again

No idea is above scrutiny, no people are beneath dignity
Original post by walking in sand
okay lets try again

No idea is above scrutiny, no people are beneath dignity

They were fined, it's not like we took them to a gulag
They were fined, it's not like we took them to a gulag

shame
i read a really good article in the times today about a gay rights activist who initially supported action brought agaisnt the cake makers. however, he now says that he would testify in court in support of them, because it opens up potential scenarious which would not be deemed morally correct if they were to occur in actuality. for example, if you make it illegal for devout christians to choose not to support gay rights, then what is stopping a muslim being made to print disparaging images of mohamed or a jewish printworks owner from printing stuff denying the holocaust.
I'd say the cake makers have every right to refuse to make the cake. But the media has the right to shame them for it and people have the right to boycott the shop. I sure would.

Though given that this is Ireland I fear it may have the opposite effect in this case.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Wot?

No, which is why I would not discriminate others on the basis of my beliefs when I own a place which I know may have to deal with such clients.

I wouldn't actually. Mostly because I know it won't be taken down - I didn't break any rules. If I were being an idiot and insulted you then it's something I'd expect.

I won't. If you want me to read it, simply quote it. I still asked you two questions which you evaded, so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not talking about this particular post. I'm talking any post you felt was fine that got reported. Don't tell me you don't get agitated when someone vindictively reports you.

I don't want you to read anything. You asked me what I felt about black rights and I told you to go find it yourself, since you're dying to know what I already said, and you keep bringing it up when I keep telling you it's irrelevant. It's irrelevant because discussing analogies is not only digressive, it's also a sign that you don't know what you're talking about "so let's take a detour." Which I won't do. Figure a way out to articulate yourself without bringing in outside subjects.

Lol who discriminated against who? So we're back to square one.
Reply 59
I'm not talking about this particular post. I'm talking any post you felt was fine that got reported. Don't tell me you don't get agitated when someone vindictively reports you.

I don't want you to read anything. You asked me what I felt about black rights and I told you to go find it yourself, since you're dying to know what I already said, and you keep bringing it up when I keep telling you it's irrelevant. It's irrelevant because discussing analogies is not only digressive, it's also a sign that you don't know what you're talking about "so let's take a detour." Which I won't do. Figure a way out to articulate yourself without bringing in outside subjects.

Lol who discriminated against who? So we're back to square one.

No, I'm not. I've actually never checked whether anyone has reported me. They are free to report me, as I am free to report them - it's the end result that matters.

These are simply excuses to be honest. Analogies literally refer to the same thing in different situations, so that shouldn't be a problem. I get the vibe that you would treat black people or whatever else differently, which to me signals hypocrisy.

And seriously, how difficult is it to quote your own text?? :P

Getting someone to court isn't discrimination, if that's what you mean. Lol...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending