The Student Room Group

Alldaydreaming's Road to 4 A's at AS

My AS subjects: Biology(AQA) , Chemistry(AQA), Maths(AQA), English Literature(OCR)
Jan Mock results:
Biology - D
Chemistry - D
Maths (Core 1) - E
Maths (Decision 1) - A
English Literature - D

As it says in the title, I want to get 4 A's by the end of this year. It'll be hard work but worth it, Wish me luck!

(P.S. feel free to join in, this is my first time doing grow your grades. Also, any advice from anyone on how to achieve my goals would be great :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck! I don't mind joining you :biggrin:
January Mock Grades for AS:
Maths (Edexcel) C1 - A
Chemistry (AQA) - C
Physics (AQA) - D
Engineering - Don't have exams for, but I know that I got a distinction in the unit I just completed!

I'M DREADING THE M1 MOCK I'M GONNA DO SOON!
@alldaydreaming I guess no one wants to join us :/
Original post by ravioliyears
Good luck! I don't mind joining you :biggrin:
January Mock Grades for AS:
Maths (Edexcel) C1 - A
Chemistry (AQA) - C
Physics (AQA) - D
Engineering - Don't have exams for, but I know that I got a distinction in the unit I just completed!

I'M DREADING THE M1 MOCK I'M GONNA DO SOON!

Wow! Well done on your mock grades!! They're amazing! Especially Core 1 - how did you get an A?! Good luck for your M1 mock. What are your goals for the end of this year? And I'm guessing from your subject choices you're looking to do something engineering-based? :biggrin:
Original post by alldaydreaming
Wow! Well done on your mock grades!! They're amazing! Especially Core 1 - how did you get an A?! Good luck for your M1 mock. What are your goals for the end of this year? And I'm guessing from your subject choices you're looking to do something engineering-based? :biggrin:

I'm kinda a maths nerd lool, and thank you! I'm also hoping for all As and Distinctions in the 5-6 units I should be completing by the end of this year. Yepp, correcto mundo! Torn between aerospace, materials, mechanical or chemical! :/ I really enjoy chem so I'm moving towards the chemical engineering side.
What about you?
Reply 5
Four A's would be awesome! I kind of feel intimidated by the A levels both of you are doing but we probably have different career paths in mind!
I'm doing Textiles (AQA) Pyschology (AQA) French (EDEXCEL) and English Literature (AQA). I would love to become a fashion buyer/director because I love fashion but I am in love with the business side of it instead of the designing side x Anyway I would love to get 3 A's in AS ( Lit is A level) and if I don't I would fall back on a B in Pyschology, MAYBE French but I'm striving for A's! My problem is I feel like I'm less motivated comparing to my GCSE's days, I find it hard to snap into the fact that I'm now doing A levels y'know.. If I have motivation, I know that I can push myself to get those A's, to be honest anyone can do anything as long as they are willing to work hard for it and have the motivation! I think grow your grades competition would be an awesome way to share your A level journey with others because we're all going through this together :h: GOOD LUCK I'M SURE YOU'LL GET THOSE A'S!!!
Reply 6
I guess Ill join! Mock results;
A - Biology
A - Chemistry
A in both C1 and M1 - Mathematics
A - T&D

All CCEA btw.
I'm currently sitting on AAAB and its a long while until exams but I want to make sure I don't go downhill. Also aiming for >93% in Bio/Chem/Maths. T&D is my downfall because I just don't put any effort into my work if i even do it. I'm starting past papers for C1 and M1, Chem Unit 1 and Bio Unit 1 now.
Reply 7
hmm for hope, I remember that my mock results weren't good - i had a b/c in English lit, c in History, c/b in sociology and u in philosophy. In the end I got 3 A's in English lit, history and sociology and it proved to me that mock results only encourage you to work harder. Those with grades like my mock results will work harder and have more determination.
Original post by ravioliyears
I'm kinda a maths nerd lool, and thank you! I'm also hoping for all As and Distinctions in the 5-6 units I should be completing by the end of this year. Yepp, correcto mundo! Torn between aerospace, materials, mechanical or chemical! :/ I really enjoy chem so I'm moving towards the chemical engineering side.
What about you?

That sounds exciting! I'm deciding between biological sciences, biomedical sciences, biochemistry and kind of chemical engineering (I'm surprised by how much I've liked chemistry this year).
How are your A levels going in general? Have you started revision for the summer exams yet?
Original post by Taefella
Four A's would be awesome! I kind of feel intimidated by the A levels both of you are doing but we probably have different career paths in mind!
I'm doing Textiles (AQA) Pyschology (AQA) French (EDEXCEL) and English Literature (AQA). I would love to become a fashion buyer/director because I love fashion but I am in love with the business side of it instead of the designing side x Anyway I would love to get 3 A's in AS ( Lit is A level) and if I don't I would fall back on a B in Pyschology, MAYBE French but I'm striving for A's! My problem is I feel like I'm less motivated comparing to my GCSE's days, I find it hard to snap into the fact that I'm now doing A levels y'know.. If I have motivation, I know that I can push myself to get those A's, to be honest anyone can do anything as long as they are willing to work hard for it and have the motivation! I think grow your grades competition would be an awesome way to share your A level journey with others because we're all going through this together :h: GOOD LUCK I'M SURE YOU'LL GET THOSE A'S!!!

Woo! Yay for motivating pep talk! Being a fashion buyer would be so awesome! I know how you feel - for the whole of the first term of school I was so unmotivated and the workload was way too much for me to handle (from English lit and maths in particular) but I think eventually I kind of got back into working habits. Maybe try creating a revision timetable with weekly rewards - I've got a timetable that I don't really use but it's there and when I was revising for GCSEs my rewards would be 1 hour of Netflix for example.
Something that I find really helpful (that I made at the beginning of year 11 was an inspiration wall in my room with motivational quotes as well as a poster with 50 ways to take a break (Google if your interested).
Also, the best thing I ever did (might work for you, but definitely worth a try) was create a subject revision plan for each subject in GCSEs - currently making my A Level one a the moment. I basically had a document on word with each subject I did and loads of ways to revise for each one that I knew would work. To up level it a bit, you could put the time it would take you to do each one or do a task for each specification point.

Hopefully that helps with motivation and things you can do to maintain your motivation and revision.
By the way, what texts are you studying for English Literature? (Just curious :biggrin:)
Original post by ozmo19
I guess Ill join! Mock results;
A - Biology
A - Chemistry
A in both C1 and M1 - Mathematics
A - T&D

All CCEA btw.
I'm currently sitting on AAAB and its a long while until exams but I want to make sure I don't go downhill. Also aiming for >93% in Bio/Chem/Maths. T&D is my downfall because I just don't put any effort into my work if i even do it. I'm starting past papers for C1 and M1, Chem Unit 1 and Bio Unit 1 now.

Woohoo! Another Joiner! Your results are amazing! How did you revise? Well done! Above 93% would be a dream come true! How are you finding the subjects overall? And do you know what you want to do after A levels?
Original post by MJlover
hmm for hope, I remember that my mock results weren't good - i had a b/c in English lit, c in History, c/b in sociology and u in philosophy. In the end I got 3 A's in English lit, history and sociology and it proved to me that mock results only encourage you to work harder. Those with grades like my mock results will work harder and have more determination.

Hi! Mock results have definitely motivated me to work harder! Can I ask how you revised for English Literature? Quote banks? Cue cards? I literally had a mind blank on the day of my English mock! And I was super worried about chemistry which was the next day. Oh, and do you have a specific exam technique i.e. way of planning, essay structure etc.
Hi! Mock results have definitely motivated me to work harder! Can I ask how you revised for English Literature? Quote banks? Cue cards? I literally had a mind blank on the day of my English mock! And I was super worried about chemistry which was the next day. Oh, and do you have a specific exam technique i.e. way of planning, essay structure etc.

As for English lit, sorry my memory isn't good but what I remember is that I used York Notes and my own knowledge and interpretation of themes. I was quite naturally talented at writing and passionate about books so that helped too. For history I wrote loadss of essays and that did crossover to my analytical skills in english lit. What books and topics are you covering for english lit, maybe I can you give some essays and revision notes docs :smile:
Reply 13
Good luck to everybody. :woo:
Reply 14
Woohoo! Another Joiner! Your results are amazing! How did you revise? Well done! Above 93% would be a dream come true! How are you finding the subjects overall? And do you know what you want to do after A levels?

Thank you:colondollar:I have quite an unconventional method for revising - while others write notes and do flash cards I literally just read something and memorise it word for word. Its what works best for me and allows me to cover a lot in a shorter period of time. I am really enjoying Maths and Chemistry, Biology is ok, and I hate T&D:redface: Im not sure but I'm considering Medicine/Biomedical Sciences - hopefully ill pick a career soon
Original post by MJlover
As for English lit, sorry my memory isn't good but what I remember is that I used York Notes and my own knowledge and interpretation of themes. I was quite naturally talented at writing and passionate about books so that helped too. For history I wrote loadss of essays and that did crossover to my analytical skills in english lit. What books and topics are you covering for english lit, maybe I can you give some essays and revision notes docs :smile:

Hi, that's really nice of you. I'm studying Hamlet, Rossetti, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby. And Grapes of Wrath next year for A level.
We do a lot of essays for homework and for that I average at a B+ and A grade but it's the whole exam room pressure that puts me off - any tips for writing a cracking essay in 40 minutes?
Original post by ozmo19
Thank you:colondollar:I have quite an unconventional method for revising - while others write notes and do flash cards I literally just read something and memorise it word for word. Its what works best for me and allows me to cover a lot in a shorter period of time. I am really enjoying Maths and Chemistry, Biology is ok, and I hate T&D:redface: Im not sure but I'm considering Medicine/Biomedical Sciences - hopefully ill pick a career soon

Woah, that is unconventional! Haha, I've known a few people who did that for GCSEs and I was like how do you even..? But if it works for you (which it obviously seems to be) then great! I've always been a bit reluctant to try that method, I might give it a go - especially for Biology with all the terminology.
Medicine/Biomedical Sciences is awesome! It took me ages to realise I wanted to do something science related - I only figured that bit out after I'd started A levels in science. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon. Medicine requires a lot of memorisation (I've heard) so I think your revision technique would fit right in! :smile:
Hi, that's really nice of you. I'm studying Hamlet, Rossetti, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Great Gatsby. And Grapes of Wrath next year for A level.
We do a lot of essays for homework and for that I average at a B+ and A grade but it's the whole exam room pressure that puts me off - any tips for writing a cracking essay in 40 minutes?

I did Gatsby and Rossetti but unfortunately I don't have that many notes on them, as I did my AS levels almost a decade ago lol.
Just don't pressure yourself and take it easy, take a drink with you to the exam and write knowing that its also an important exam but at the end of the day exerting pressure on yourself would only be at your own detriment.
Best of Luck! :smile:
Reply 18
A Streetcar Named Desire

Did this in my GCSE, it was: :shot:
Original post by MJlover
I did Gatsby and Rossetti but unfortunately I don't have that many notes on them, as I did my AS levels almost a decade ago lol.
Just don't pressure yourself and take it easy, take a drink with you to the exam and write knowing that its also an important exam but at the end of the day exerting pressure on yourself would only be at your own detriment.
Best of Luck! :smile:

Thank you! Just reading that has made me feel a lot more assured:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending