The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for law course entry

Hi,

I'm currently a prospective A-levels student outside the UK. Which subjects out of the following should I choose if I want to apply for a competitive law course at a UK university? If it matters, the exams are being conducted by Cambridge International Examinations.

Psychology
Economics
Biology
Physics
Accounting
Business Studies
English Lit
Law

I am currently thinking about taking English Literature, Economics and Biology/Psychology, but I would like opinions from other people before I commit to anything.

I am aware that History is a good choice for a prospective law student, but the only college that offers it is quite a distance away ( and expensive ). Mathematics and some of the science subjects have been excluded as I would not be able to do competitively at A2 level in those subjects.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jihahahad
Hi,

I'm currently a prospective A-levels student outside the UK. Which subjects out of the following should I choose if I want to apply for a competitive law course at a UK university? If it matters, the exams are being conducted by Cambridge International Examinations.

Psychology
Economics
Biology
Physics
Accounting
Business Studies
English Lit

I am currently thinking about taking English Literature, Economics and Biology/Psychology, but I would like opinions from other people before I commit to anything.

I am aware that History is a good choice for a prospective law student, but the only college that offers it is quite a distance away ( and expensive ). Mathematics and some of the science subjects have been excluded as I would not be able to do competitively at A2 level in those subjects.

Thanks in advance!

My concern is that you are saying you would not do well in Maths then looking at Maths Based courses Physics, Economics and Accounting. Given your statement I would go for English Lit, Psychology and Biology although I suspect History would be better and Economics if you were good at Maths
Hi,

Psychology
Economics
Biology
Physics
Accounting
Business Studies
English Lit

Thanks in advance!

I'd stay away from Business and Accounting, then choose whichever ones you like most from the others. Unlike what was said above, you don't need to be amazing at maths to do A Level Economics, the tiny bit of maths that comes into it is mostly just calculating percentages etc. For Physics, you need to be decent at maths but I've known people get As without even taking A Level Maths, so it's possible. Maybe not advisory though.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
My concern is that you are saying you would not do well in Maths then looking at Maths Based courses Physics, Economics and Accounting. Given your statement I would go for English Lit, Psychology and Biology although I suspect History would be better and Economics if you were good at Maths

If I'm good at regular Mathematics (IGCSE equivalent), would that be enough for A levels Econs? I was ok (50-75%) at normal Maths, but I was absolutely terrible at Add Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1

I don't think there's any "real maths" in Economics until university. The OP should be fine with picking it at A level.
Reply 5
Original post by tinkerbella~
I'd stay away from Business and Accounting, then choose whichever ones you like most from the others. Unlike what was said above, you don't need to be amazing at maths to do A Level Economics, the tiny bit of maths that comes into it is mostly just calculating percentages etc. For Physics, you need to be decent at maths but I've known people get As without even taking A Level Maths, so it's possible. Maybe not advisory though.

Thanks! I recently took a look at some A-level Physics textbooks, then I decided I wasn't going to touch the subject.
Thanks! I recently took a look at some A-level Physics textbooks, then I decided I wasn't going to touch the subject.

Good choice, I hated Physics AS when I did it :lol:
Reply 7
OP there is very little maths involved in A Level Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by wiseLAD
OP there is very little maths involved in A Level Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Hi,

Psychology
Economics
Biology
Physics
Accounting
Business Studies
English Lit
Law

Thanks in advance!

From what you've said, English Lit, Economics (as others have said don't worry about the maths) and Biology will be a decent set of A-Levels. History would have been preferable bit I understand your reason. Very weird though! I thought every college did something as popular as History!

It's strange because it's kind of a well known fact that when applying for Law you shouldn't actually take A-Level Law and I always found it to be weird. I wanted to do a Law degree when I entered college and I didn't know I shouldn't take Law so I did anyway and I absolutely hated it. Had I not taken it I might have ended up doing a Law degree and having to drop out or would have been purely miserable! So I'm really glad I did. It's seen as a soft subject but it was the hardest subject I did (and I did Biology and Economics too). Anyway that's just my little rant :lol:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Airfairy
From what you've said, English Lit, Economics (as others have said don't worry about the maths) and Biology will be a decent set of A-Levels. History would have been preferable bit I understand your reason. Very weird though! I thought every college did something as popular as History!

It's strange because it's kind of a well known fact that when applying for Law you shouldn't actually take A-Level Law and I always found it to be weird. I wanted to do a Law degree when I entered college and I didn't know I shouldn't take Law so I did anyway and I absolutely hated it. Had I not taken it I might have ended up doing a Law degree and having to drop out or would have been purely miserable! So I'm really glad I did. It's seen as a soft subject but it was the hardest subject I did (and I did Biology and Economics too). Anyway that's just my little rant :lol:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! Most A-levels colleges here cater to those intending to go into hard sciences, and most non-science or mathy subjects are stuff like Accounting, Psych, etc. And congrats on things having worked out for you!
Thanks a lot! Most A-levels colleges here cater to those intending to go into hard sciences, and most non-science or mathy subjects are stuff like Accounting, Psych, etc. And congrats on things having worked out for you!

Ah that's a shame. No problem anyway. Hope things work out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are the most popular subjects successful Oxford Law applicants have. You're welcome.
Reply 13
Original post by callum_law

These are the most popular subjects successful Oxford Law applicants have. You're welcome.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending