The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by childofthesun
I'm not interested in converting you.
Free PDF of the book
http://m.friendfeed-media.com/8e745d95541b74f4202150025ce9f4503dd35abd

just give me a quote fam i aint got time for no pdf **** im a busy bee
Original post by louissmith501
One should be quite careful when saying "everyone thinks" because not everyone does.
True it is established by most scientists that the universe had a beginning in time 14 odd billion years ago.

The causation argument States simply that everyone that exists has a cause for such existence, there was a time before that made that happen. Eg I was born because of my parents they were born because of theirs etc etc

Now the problem of that comes from the fact that nothing can logically go back forever right? This is the infinite regress. "What made the universe?" "God did" "What made God then?" By logic it would be the God of God
Theists don't like this at all, so they say God is a special exception and is a "uncaused cause" mostly justified by the idea that God is "outside" of time or the beginning of time itself from whence there was no time before God.

Here's the crutch, most scientists say that there was no time before the Big Bang, anything that came before was outside of time. The Big Bang is the moment time and the universe as we know it began. Therefore it can be concluded that the first cause for the universe is itself, there was no time for a creator or anything before the bang, the line ends there.

It's a philosophical argument and not a scientific one, there are instances of "uncaused" instances occurring such as nuclear decay.
Hope that helped.

You type fast and nice reply.
Yeah I was going to wrote most atheists instead of all but I find it annoying using g this site on mobile. Then again I have yet to meet one who doesn't believe in the big bang.
So time only existed after a big bang. But surely time is just a measure used by humans. Doesn't really make sense to me how it's treated like a physical object and saying how it came to be.
So the first cause of the big bang was itself... Doesn't that mean the big bang was eternal (hence going against the idea of the universe having a finite existence)? Or the other explanation is that the big bang came out of nothing, which again doesn't make sense. As you know science never seems to accept the ideology of anything appearing from nothing (e.g. energy). It's like saying 0+0 gives rise to 0 <...
Reply 42
Original post by champ_mc99
Yeah I was going to wrote most atheists instead of all but I find it annoying using g this site on mobile. Then again I have yet to meet one who doesn't believe in the big bang.
So time only existed after a big bang. But surely time is just a measure used by humans. Doesn't really make sense to me how it's treated like a physical object and saying how it came to be.
So the first cause of the big bang was itself... Doesn't that mean the big bang was eternal (hence going against the idea of the universe having a finite existence)? Or the other explanation is that the big bang came out of nothing, which again doesn't make sense. As you know science never seems to accept the ideology of anything appearing from nothing (e.g. energy). It's like saying 0+0 gives rise to 0 <...

time only existing prior to the big bang isn't a stonewall theory yet. the multiverse theory could contradict it
Original post by mangala
just give me a quote fam i aint got time for no pdf **** im a busy bee

And I haven't got time to copy and paste large chunks of the book. No one's going to convert you or change your beliefs with a paragraph-you're always going to need to do more reading and research by yourself. Maybe when you're less of a busy bee you can read it,or just read a chapter or two from it now.
Original post by mangala
time only existing prior to the big bang isn't a stonewall theory yet. the multiverse theory could contradict it

Could you tell me about the multiverse. I heard Dawkins mention it once but never really understood.
Reply 45
Original post by mangala
but how do you know the qu'ran is true? don't you need proof for that too

The Quran holds a unique literary form unlike any other book, the grammar, flow etc.
Also the fact it's the only holy book unchanged, as millions of Muslims worldwide recite the same verses (although pronunciation may differ) with almost the exact same translation.

This website may be worth a read

http://lostislamichistory.com/how-do-we-know-the-quran-is-unchanged/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Gwilym101
Out of curiousity what does (SAW) mean? I've seen pbuh plenty of times which I know means "Peace Be Upon Him", I've never seen SAW before.

It's an abbreviation of the Arabic 'Salallahu Alaihi Wa Salam.'

It's translated to 'Peace be upon him.'
Same thing as PBUH but SAW is an Arabic phrase :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangala
the self-awareness of existence, which i refer you're referring to, comes with intelligence. and although consciousnesses is very difficult to explain at the moment, there's no reason why we wouldn't be able to explain it in the future

I'm not referring to the awareness of our existence, I think many animals have consciousness without self-awareness of existence. I'm just referring to consciousness, comprising the feeling of living in the moment, being able to think in your own head, etc. Consciousness is an emergent property of our brain which does not fit into physical dimensions, and I don't think it will ever be explained. We might isolate the particular group of cells which is necessary for it, but that's not saying what allows us to experience and be. The very nature of consciousness is reason enough for me to both believe that we'll never find a physical explanation for it, and that it's not a ridiculous idea that there is something beyond our physical, empirical world.
Could you tell me about the multiverse. I heard Dawkins mention it once but never really understood.

The multiverse is simply the notion that this universe isn't the only one, in fact there are many universes alongside our own universe that exist that arise and live their life, our universe is one of these seemingly infinite ones.

Now theoretically its provable, a scientist can write out all the formulas and prove it to you, however it lacks a practical and experimental piece of hard evidence to solidify the theory, although other pieces have been suggested that haven't yet convinced most or overwhelmingly proved it.

Time is a real thing independent of humans, just like its twin space, (hence space-time) the confusion arises because Time is independent of us yet is relative to us due to distortion in space.

If you were to say walk around a black hole in ten minutes, if you return to Earth you'll find that ten years have passed and not ten minutes! This is because of ones perspective of time and it's a very weird thing, Einstein put it best:
"Kissing a pretty girl on a sunny bench for a minute feels like a second, putting your hand on a hot stove for one second feels like minute"

The Big Bang was an expression of that beginning of time. There was no before the Big Bang because it is like saying that there is a north norther than the North Pole, there is none! You have reached the end point, and to most physicists time literally began with the Big Bang, not after but with it.
Original post by mangala
scientific, logical evidence which points towards the existence of god

convert me from atheism

think why the things are so logical . Don't you smell something suspicious ? I don't say god but something complicated is happening in the background. ??? but I don't know what is it???
Original post by louissmith501
The multiverse is simply the notion that this universe isn't the only one, in fact there are many universes alongside our own universe that exist that arise and live their life, our universe is one of these seemingly infinite ones.

Now theoretically its provable, a scientist can write out all the formulas and prove it to you, however it lacks a practical and experimental piece of hard evidence to solidify the theory, although other pieces have been suggested that haven't yet convinced most or overwhelmingly proved it.

So you are talking about before bigbang ? everything imaginary is actual real of future.
Reply 52
Original post by physicst
think why the things are so logical . Don't you smell something suspicious ? I don't say god but something complicated is happening in the background. ??? but I don't know what is it???

Exactly, that's God.
Original post by mangala
i did. they're implying that natural selection is a "random process" by saying that things an eye for example comes across by chance. they're being misleading about what evolution is in order to prove their point. an eye wouldn't come across in a single mutation, it happens gradually through natural selection

Thinking through a philosophical way based on this, for example an eye, it's so complex with each an every part of it having a purpose, surely it has to have a designer behind it?
Think about man made objects with complex features. It needs a superior intelligence behind it.
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Thinking through a philosophical way based on this, for example an eye, it's so complex with each an every part of it having a purpose, surely it has to have a designer behind it?
Think about man made objects with complex features. It needs a superior intelligence behind it.

It needs no such thing, complexity is explained by evolution. This is just a version of the watchmaker argument which has been thoroughly debunked.
The trademark argument??
Original post by HAnwar
Well science will never be able to provide proof of God's existence, however we (Muslims) have our own proof- the Qur'an which was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (SAW).

It isn't a 'proof'. It's a centuries-old shared delusion, which was originally deliberately created and planned by some very manipulative people who wanted to control an empire in early medieval times.
Reply 57
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It isn't a 'proof'. It's a centuries-old shared delusion, which was originally deliberately created and planned by some very manipulative people who wanted to control an empire in early medieval times.

Like I said, to us it is :smile:
Original post by mangala

convert me from atheism

What specific evidence would you accept?
Reply 59
Original post by mangala

convert me from atheism

I think it is like a never ending triangle.

Atheists are at one point, Christians at another and other world faiths at the third.

Atheists are on a mission to de-convert those they think are on the wrong path, ie not God as everything is explainable through science.

Christians are sharing their belief in God but realise an Atheist will not recognise the person of God through them, unless their hearts are softened, because the bible says for you to seek and find, not others to seek on your behalf. Christians believe science and God go together.

Other world faiths have their own beliefs, some want to convert you because of their own after life fears, others will just live their faith and enjoy you exploring them ie Buddhists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending