The Student Room Group

how many hours do you study a week?

Firstly I study hardly any hours a week... This is not something I am proud of... I am just lacking motivation.

How many hours a week do you study?
Do you have a timetable?

I am in my first year (ICT)
Reply 1
Original post by urbanlocations
Firstly I study hardly any hours a week... This is not something I am proud of... I am just lacking motivation.

How many hours a week do you study?
Do you have a timetable?

I am in my first year (ICT)

I measure my study on content covered not time
Original post by Ribenas

Good point... hmm.
Reply 3
Original post by urbanlocations
Good point... hmm.

For biology I want to cover the whole subject in a week so 4 hours per topic per day. Just divide work by time you have!
Original post by Ribenas

Here :smile:
Have a rep for that.

However, I would study dependant on my grades. If am below my desired grade, I would not stop. Then, if I were to be working on the grade I wanted and it is not the highest grade, I would work a lot. If it is the highest grade attainable, I would work but just enough so that I secure it then work on something else if need be.

Unfortunately, I will get distracted, things come up and you get tired. Nonetheless, I study for the majority of the day, which will be 60-70% of the time I would have. At times, I will be unmotivated and so I will study less but it does not stop me from studying, though.

Do not think you should not have fun. Just ensure it is not excessive and try to do something that won't take up too much space in your memory. For example, if you wish to watch something, watch a movie rather than a show, as can get you addicted. Thus, I would advise that you switch up the activities you do to relax.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Less than I did at A-Level, but somehow I am covering a lot more content much more quickly (studying computer science). I probsbly study about 20 hours a week now, when I used to study for about 35-40.
I m on placement half of the time but theory weeks generally i m in uni 9-4 for 3 days a week and then i would generally aim for i guess 5 hours studying time. Although I have exams coming up after easter so I will probably be doing at least 10 hours if i can once i m done with placement.
Reply 7
i do 30-35 hours a week (my degree is with the OU). i dont want to be behind and im doing well (~90% in my assignments) so that keeps me motivated :smile:
I aim to do between 6 to 8 hours a day. So aiming for around 40 hours a week but may do more or less if studying on the weekend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ribenas
For biology I want to cover the whole subject in a week so 4 hours per topic per day. Just divide work by time you have!

I'm with Ribenas, the quality of the hours and not the quantity is what matters to myself. I often only study when I feel in the right mind to study and not force it out of me unless time is a concern.

However, I must add that to some degree, I am always studying. I am forever writing sections of assignments in my head, revising answers to questions whilst commuting; I read whilst on the toilet; you get the idea.

Do not measure in hours, what you can do in 1 hour, could take myself three hours. But within those three hours, I could not be anywhere near my desk.

It can't be measured in such a way and really the only questions you can ask are;

How much effort have I put in this week? Can I put in more?
Original post by FailedTeacher
x
Thank you @FailedTeacher and a very well written post by yourself!
All your comments are amazing and I have noticed I need to kick myself in the bum!!
At least 6 hours per day outside of set work so 42 per week. Probably going to aim for 9 per day at least so 63, but it depends how content heavy the module is.
0-2 hours / week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending