The Student Room Group

Going out tonight with people, and i'm socially awkward, help!

I'm going out tonight with my friend and some of his friends (they're all girls). I'm worried because i'm socially awkward and often come across as boring and not talkative. What can I do? We are going to a bar then a club
Reply 1
By the way i'm a guy
Reply 2
pretend your confident , no one knows your not (not in an ******** way)
Reply 3
fake it till ya make it really does work confidence-wise
Reply 4
Be yourself.

Not

Ahahahahaaha

Original post by shawtyb
pretend your confident , no one knows your not (not in an ******** way)

Your left eye is very enticing in this photo, I have to look at the right one otherwise it gets me like one of those spiral images.
Reply 5
Original post by whorace
Be yourself.

Not

Ahahahahaaha

Your left eye is very enticing in this photo, I have to look at the right one otherwise it gets me like one of those spiral images.

i think this is a compliment? here, have the big version

Attachment not found
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going out tonight with my friend and some of his friends (they're all girls). I'm worried because i'm socially awkward and often come across as boring and not talkative. What can I do? We are going to a bar then a club

I have social anxiety and I would hate to be in your situation right now. LOL! :ahee:. However, I have certain methods of dealing with frightening situations like these. I sometimes fake my confidence. After a while I eventually become confident without even trying. I also like to act, so I challenge myself act as the most confident person ever and just try to be cool as possible. It will be quite tiring at first, but after some practice you should become more confident naturally.

If you ever get nervous of what to say next, just listen to what other people are saying and make an appropriate contribution to the topic of the conversation. If you absolutely have nothing to say or don't know what other people are talking about, just change the subject of the conversation to a topic that you are comfortable with or you know about. This will allow you to be more talkative around the ladies :colone:. Good luck man, I hope everything goes well! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I have social anxiety and I would hate to be in your situation right now. LOL! :ahee:. However, I have certain methods of dealing with frightening situations like these. I sometimes fake my confidence. After a while I eventually become confident without even trying. I also like to act, so I challenge myself act as the most confident person ever and just try to be cool as possible. It will be quite tiring at first, but after some practice you should become more confident naturally.

If you ever get nervous of what to say next, just listen to what other people are saying and make an appropriate contribution to the topic of the conversation. If you absolutely have nothing to say or don't know what other people are talking about, just change the subject of the conversation to a topic that you are comfortable with or you know about. This will allow you to be more talkative around the ladies :colone:. Good luck man, I hope everything goes well! :smile:

Thanks :smile: Sometimes my mind just goes blank and I have no idea what to say, which can make things awkward. I'm just really worried it might happen. Like, if you're standing in a queue for 15 minutes it's kind of difficult to keep talking
Alcohol
Drink... seriously I used to be the same.... just drink a bit until you feel more comfortable.

Everyone can be a bit social awkward around people they don't really know.... I always got taken by one of my mates to her friends for pre-drinks which meant once a month drinking with people I didn't really know. Just contribute and try to get involved in the conversation.
Relax and go with the flow. Don't overthink it. More than likely your friends will keep the conversation going and all you need to do is contribute and laugh with them :smile:
Reply 11
"Just drink"... wow great advice. No wonder the streets are filled with so many drunkards making a fool of themselves after a night out. Be ashamed of yourselves.
Please, OP, whatever you do with them, DON'T listen to these idiots who are telling you to drink away your social problems.
Nobody is advising OP to get drunk my dear. Its up to him whey he decides to do. A little rum in his coke is hardly going to do him any harm.

OP alcohol helps, obviously you need to work on finding a long term solution to your problem.. But for now have a drink, relax and enjoy your evening.

Original post by gwagon
"Just drink"... wow great advice. No wonder the streets are filled with so many drunkards making a fool of themselves after a night out. Be ashamed of yourselves.
Please, OP, whatever you do with them, DON'T listen to these idiots who are telling you to drink away your social problems.
[QUOTE=phunky_fresh;62885231]Nobody is advising OP to get drunk my dear. Its up to him whey he decides to do. A little rum in his coke is hardly going to do him any harm.

OP alcohol helps, obviously you need to work on finding a long term solution to your problem.. But for now have a drink, relax and enjoy your evening.

This.

You've been given good advice above.

Absolutely fake it.
Think of an appropriate conversation starter (if needed) so do they go to uni? Or how do they know your friend etc...
Have a few drinks (accept that it will be a touch awkward, chat to your friend at the start a bit although if you can chat to the others more then great) and then once the drinks flow they will probably be asking you questions. Just relax, answer them and be enthusiastic, try and ask questions back and/or join into the conversations.
Alcohol will save the situation so don't fret...
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't do anything about it, I go out with my friends all the time and some times I'm in a bad mood and I'm not talkative, I just stand out by myself for a few minutes and then just rejoin everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending