The Student Room Group

Should I go to a place I will feel uncomfortable going?

I am currently working in a summer camp, but I am very socially awkward and can't really talk to people. So I think people feel very awkward around me. Some of my co-workers are thinking of going to get a few drinks tonight and I don't know if I should go because it is my day off (we all live on the camp) so they all know that. I want to get closer to people but feel so insecure about myself and just don't know how to converse with people. I get drained quickly too, so I'm not sure if i should go.
Someone help me!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
I think this is a hard question to answer, because it's one of those things that are completely dependent on the person. From your title, you suggest that you don't want to go - in which case I would say leave it, because there's not really a point. In your post, you say that you do want to get closer to people but worry due to insecurity - I'm sorry you feel this way. Sometimes, it might be worth just trying to go - if the others are friendly, they'll hopefully try to accommodate you, and you'll probably feel better afterwards. If you feel like it goes badly during the time there, you can always just excuse yourself - it doesn't sound like it's a properly formal dinner or anything, so you wouldn't have to worry about seeming rude (though I know that's easier said than done). In the end, I think if you feel like they're nice and you'd like to get to know them more, it's worth having a go - but no one will think the worst of you for not. Maybe weigh up the pros and cons for yourself, and see what you think after that?

Sorry for the ambiguous message, it really is hard to say in my opinion. I hope this helps at least slightly. Best of luck with whatever you do, I hope all goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending