The Student Room Group

Should we penalise those who drive electric cars?

Scroll to see replies

To be on the safe side, I think we should just ban electricity.
Reply 21
Original post by NekoAngel13
We should be investing in the technology of hydrogen powered cars that have 0% emissions.
Electric cars use electricity which is made by fossil fuels so it doesn't really solve anything. They also tend to have a crap battery life meaning that you have to charge it often. My mate had to charge his roughly every 60 miles and commuting to and from work with stand still time too. Still cheaper than petrol though the price is coming down.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/hybrid-technology/hydrogen-cars.htm

Remind me, how do they get this Hydrogen? Is it electrolysis? Pumping electricity into salt water? 0% emissions from that yeah right.

Also hydrogen cars pollute the most because they produce something worse than co2, water vapour, the worst green house gas of all (compared to co2 which is the 5th worst).
Electric Cars will soon produce 0 CO2 emissions from getting their energy from Coal. You know why? Because we can turn all the CO2 emissions into Algae which in turn produces Lipid Oil, Fertilizer, Animal Feed and Soap.

Lipid Oil then can be used as Bio-Diesel and carbon capture technology in the next generation of generators can reduce CO2 emissions entirely.

So your argument is about 20 years old I am afraid.
Reply 23
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Electric Cars will soon produce 0 CO2 emissions from getting their energy from Coal. You know why? Because we can turn all the CO2 emissions into Algae which in turn produces Lipid Oil, Fertilizer, Animal Feed and Soap.

Lipid Oil then can be used as Bio-Diesel and carbon capture technology in the next generation of generators can reduce CO2 emissions entirely.

So your argument is about 20 years old I am afraid.

If you watched the video it was clear that whilst they produced less co2, co2 isnt the issue with green cars. Coal factories produce much more harmful gasses than co2.
Original post by balanced
If you watched the video it was clear that whilst they produced less co2, co2 isnt the issue with green cars. Coal factories produce much more harmful gasses than co2.

So the real issue is the production of energy not green cars.

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes OFC i know that but coal from CO2 powerplants can be turned into algae for lipid oil production so electric car fuel = zero emissions.
Reply 26
Original post by paul514
So the real issue is the production of energy not green cars.

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are not Green. And yes, that is the issue which will solve the issue of electric cars.
They are not Green. And yes, that is the issue which will solve the issue of electric cars.

That's the thing though it is as green as a car will get.

Power production is the issue your looking at the symptom not cause therefore pointless thread now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by paul514
That's the thing though it is as green as a car will get.

Power production is the issue your looking at the symptom not cause therefore pointless thread now

Posted from TSR Mobile

No because we should penalise those who are causing more damage to us humans by polluting more.
No because we should penalise those who are causing more damage to us humans by polluting more.

Ok go tax n power more then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
The use of rare earth minerals for batteries is a serious issue. But fossil fuels are also running out.

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

fossil fuels aren't running out not as fast as we a being told as it is just a price fix to keep prices as high as possible how can crude price drop 3-fold and not cause any massive issue as there plenty of fuel
Remind me, how do they get this Hydrogen? Is it electrolysis? Pumping electricity into salt water? 0% emissions from that yeah right.

Also hydrogen cars pollute the most because they produce something worse than co2, water vapour, the worst green house gas of all (compared to co2 which is the 5th worst).

Electrolysis is far cheaper and less harmful than refining and using petrol. There aren't any studies yet comparing the hydrogen fuel cell production to the charging of an electric car. They don't need charging so if their energy consumption to be produced < the charging of an electric car for the miles of use before needing to be replaced then they are more efficient.

Water vapour... which forms clouds and returns to the earth as rain. It's called the water cycle. Water vapour alongside an increase in CO2 can cause an increase in temperature yes. For every degree that CO2 causes a total increase of 3 degrees can be caused. Any change is dependant on the CO2 levels.

However this is very specific to the humidity of the climate in question. An arid area with less humidity will likely see less of an increase if at all compared to a more humid area. Less water vapour = less change

Once the water vapour has condensed the temperature change reverses. It is a non-permanent change and is entirely dependant on weather conditions. Rain, snow, sleet etc, even clouds all bring down the level of water vapour.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/water-vapor-greenhouse-gas.htm
For being bad for the environment.

and mining and refining oil isnt?

In most cases you could drive an electric car to its destination for the same raw energy it would take just to refine the fuel for the petrol/diesel car. That energy, for refining oil into petrol, also comes from coal fired powerstations.

So you're refining the dirtiest form of fuel, using the dirtiest form of fuel.

Just an FYI, refining oil is a hurrendously energy intensive process. All three UK refineries have a dedicated feed from their local power station.

We're talking ~6,000 GWh of electricity per year, that's a huge amount. For the same energy, ou could charge 20,000,000 electric cars to drive 20 trillion miles.

It's genrerally taken that 1 UK gallon of petrol takes 4.5 KWh of electricity to refine.

I should add you have to transport oil using tankers and then transport the refined product using tankers, which polute as well.

All the above needs to be done before the fossil car has even moved! So already it's at ahuge pollutant disadvantage. The fossil car still has to combust and release the energy in the fuel, causing more pollution.

I should add that just because minerals are called 'rare earth' doesn't mean they are rare.
Reply 33
Original post by Pegasus2
and mining and refining oil isnt? No, but it's not as bad for us.

In most cases you could drive an electric car to its destination for the same raw energy it would take just to refine the fuel for the petrol/diesel car. That energy, for refining oil into petrol, also comes from coal fired powerstations. And yet you fail to mention how much co2 is used the the production of an electric car (1/3 of co2 emmissions) Electric and regular cars emit very similar amounts of co2, it's the other gases where electric cars emit more.

So you're refining the dirtiest form of fuel, using the dirtiest form of fuel.

Just an FYI, refining oil is a hurrendously energy intensive process. All three UK refineries have a dedicated feed from their local power station. Yep, but not as bad as making and using electric cars.

We're talking ~6,000 GWh of electricity per year, that's a huge amount. For the same energy, ou could charge 20,000,000 electric cars to drive 20 trillion miles.
Which means nothing
It's genrerally taken that 1 UK gallon of petrol takes 4.5 KWh of electricity to refine.
Yet again, electric cars pollute more.
I should add you have to transport oil using tankers and then transport the refined product using tankers, which polute as well.
Remind me how electric cars are made eh? They pollute more as a result.
All the above needs to be done before the fossil car has even moved! So already it's at ahuge pollutant disadvantage. The fossil car still has to combust and release the energy in the fuel, causing more pollution.
Which still doesn't add up to as much from an electric car.
Also The production of electric car pollutes waaaaaaay more than the production of a regular car and oil
I should add that just because minerals are called 'rare earth' doesn't mean they are rare.You're right, the point was that lithium mining ruins the enviroment.

Responses in bold :d
Responses in bold :d

I'm going to run with troll, which i'm pretty sure is the case. There is no way anyone could possibly be arrogant and dense as you've just been without intention.

Half your replies reveal your lack of knowlege, because they don't even make sense. It would be pointless to debate with you because you don't know anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student403
For what? Being too badass?

(Tesla :love: )

Exactly.

Clearly OP is being paid by the Koch Bros. to promote petroleum driven transport.
No.
Original post by Free Kurdistan
Exactly.

Clearly OP is being paid by the Koch Bros. to promote petroleum driven transport.

:no: smh Tesla ftw
Original post by Student403
:no: smh Tesla ftw

That video is so stupid :rofl:

'Obama thinks so...'

Half expected that goon to continue with, "and he's a Black Muslim and will take ur guns"

Even if the technology isn't as good as that for petrol engines at this current point in time, better batteries and cleaner ways of obtaining electricity will be developed which in the long term will make electric cars cleaner. When the first automobiles were created, they were awful, probably worse than horses, but that wasn't a reason to stop developing and improving. Heck battery technology development which had stalled has probably been boosted by electric car developers, look at how much better computer processors are compared with 10 years ago, but your shitty phone battery still only lasts as long.
Solar and wave power, currently, are not worth using. As of now, only nuclear is, however our government is always hindered by green protesters who do not support the idea of going green.

Because of your party, which removed the subsidies for them just as they have been getting almost as cheap as fossil fuels. At least the greenest government ever had the decency to change the colour of that tree first.

Now, I don't doubt that electric cars when the electricity is produced using fossil fuels are more polluting than using the fossil fuels in the engine directly. Even without knowing a thing about it, it's intuitive: the conversion into electricity is plainly going to be beset by inefficiency.

However, electric cars should be encouraged because electricity can be produced in many ways, including green ways. Combustion engine cars can only be run on fossil fuels. Therefore, if electric cars and the associated infrastructure gain ground, the subsequent transition to green motoring will be seamless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending