The Student Room Group

Fired from Placement Year.. What to do next??

Hi all,

I have recently failed the probation period for my work placement.

I am still signed on as a student and receiving finance as usual.

I do have the following concerns:

Will this reflect badly on my degree certificate and can future employers find out?

Should I continue receiving finance?

Will this effect the extra year of funding I have?

Many thanks in advance.
1) Well if you get marked on your placement year you're kinda screwed, but I'd guess your uni will instead write it off and treat this year like a leave of absence. Future employers will definitely find out that something's up but not necessarily that you got sacked from your placement year, they're more likely to think you took a leave of absence or repeated a year, although it depends on if they look at your transcripts and what they say.

2) Probably not, but ask the SLC

3) Same as above
Original post by blccl
Hi all,

Will this reflect badly on my degree certificate and can future employers find out?

Many thanks in advance.

What happened exactly? As a current placement student I'm curious about what you did to get sacked...
Original post by blccl
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Hiya.

Have you spoken to your personal tutor? Was it a full year placement? I'm sure you will have to write a reflective piece about your experiences and what you have learnt which you'll be marked?

You need to find out if you can do a placement elsewhere and what your options are?
Original post by blccl
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

Heya,

This really all depends - is your placement year a marked part of the course? I know for some courses (pharmacy for example) if you fail your placement then this could mean that you fail your whole degree.

With some degrees there may be two courses usually two that run side by side - a four year course with placement and a three year course without. If you fail placement, then you might be able to switch your degree to the one without placement.

I am not sure what happens in this case with student finance - you'll need to speak to your personal tutor about what to do going forwards.
Original post by blccl
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

As others have said, this needs to be something you discuss with your personal tutor/placement supervisor at uni ASAP.

With regards to future employers, obviously you could leave this off your CV entirely. However, if you use anyone from your university as a reference, it might come up- and obviously that could be a red flag for future employers. Depending on why you failed the probation, it may be better to be upfront and explain how you've learned from this- you could put the placement on your CV and explain the reasons you left at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending