The Student Room Group

Quality not quantity! (GCSE revision)

On the first day of the week-off last week, I actually did my first bit of revision. It felt weird.

The only time I'd ever done some school-related work was if it was homework, but after looking at the calendar and realising that about 12 weeks isn't long to revise for almost as many subjects, I felt motivated enough to start working. I revised all of the first chemistry unit and got a high A* when I tried a past paper, so that has motivated me even more!

Although I'm now feeling a little pressured, I don't want revision to take over my time at home. I aim to do about an hour per school night so that I still have time for my hobbies.

I am currently studying:
English Lang.
English Lit.
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
RE
Computing
Psychology
Drama

The main subjects which I'm going to revise for are physics, chemistry, biology, maths, psychology, computing and RE.

In my mocks, I got Bs in drama, RE and biology and As in the rest. My targets are all A*s except a B for drama, but I haven't got personal targets, although it would be great to get at least 5 A*s - I just want to feel like I've revised and prepared a good amount so that I can go into the exams feeling confident, but not do so much work that I have no time for other things.
Hello!
Great start to your blog already :h:

Revision can be really tricky to get started- have you thought about maybe setting up a plan to help you manage your time?
12 weeks is still three months... We still have time!
Do you enjoy psychology? My school only offers it as an a-level but I'd have loved to do it for GCSE. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Tank Girl
Hello!
Great start to your blog already :h:

Revision can be really tricky to get started- have you thought about maybe setting up a plan to help you manage your time?

I have a very vague and general plan - I've decided what subject I want to focus on each week as I find it easier to focus and carry on from where I left off this way than if I keep switching between subjects every day, and as for topics, I'm working my way through the specification in order for each subject. It's going good this way so far! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ara8311a
12 weeks is still three months... We still have time!
Do you enjoy psychology? My school only offers it as an a-level but I'd have loved to do it for GCSE. :smile:

Yeah, it's very interesting! I preferred it at the beginning of the course when we did the non-verbal communication and memory topics, but I still enjoy it now. I would've chosen it for A level next year but I decided to not take 4 subjects in the end.
Original post by Sint
Yeah, it's very interesting! I preferred it at the beginning of the course when we did the non-verbal communication and memory topics, but I still enjoy it now. I would've chosen it for A level next year but I decided to not take 4 subjects in the end.

I was thinking about taking it next year as well but I don't have enough subject places either! :smile:
Reply 6
28-02-16

This week I've been through unit 1 of physics, and the revision has paid off as I got an A* in a past paper! I will be focusing on unit 1 of biology next week.
Original post by Sint
28-02-16

This week I've been through unit 1 of physics, and the revision has paid off as I got an A* in a past paper! I will be focusing on unit 1 of biology next week.

Yay! Congrats!!!! :smile:
Reply 8
09-03-16

This week and last week I did/am going to be doing biology, which is taking longer as this is my weakest science.
Original post by Sint
09-03-16

This week and last week I did/am going to be doing biology, which is taking longer as this is my weakest science.

Good luck with biology. If you want any help, feel free to message me! I'm happy to help and it's good for my revision too because it forces me to think about topics I haven't studied in ages. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending