The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JordanL_
Ludicrous fearmongering. You people have been telling us about how the jihadis are all sneaking into Europe for months, and yet they still haven't attacked us. The most recent attack (Paris) was done by people born and raised in neighbouring countries.

It has been proven that at least two terrorists travelled with the swarm of refugees.
Original post by Josb
It has been proven that at least two terrorists travelled with the swarm of refugees.
That's two out of more than a million. You're not seriously suggesting that leaving the EU would somehow prevent a terrorist attack in the UK? They are just as capable of carrying out such an act regardless of whether we vote to stay or not. The difference is, if we stay then our security services are better interlinked so we can exchange intelligence easier and therefore have a higher chance of blocking any terror attempts. This has already been done on many occasions this year (2015-2016), which is a fact.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by JRKinder
That's two out of more than a million. You're not seriously suggesting that leaving the EU would somehow prevent a terrorist attack in the UK? They are just as capable of carrying out such an act regardless of whether we vote to stay or not. The difference is, if we stay then our security services are better interlinked so we can exchange intelligence easier and therefore have a higher chance of blocking any terror attempts. This has already been done on many occasions this year (2015-2016), which is a fact.

He said that "they still haven't attacked us". I proved him wrong.

The EU has no competence on security. Leaving the EU won't affect it.
Original post by Josb
He said that "they still haven't attacked us". I proved him wrong.

The EU has no competence on security. Leaving the EU won't affect it.
Not the EU itself, but each of the national security agencies. Being in the EU allows each nation to exchange intelligence easily, is what I meant. There was a BBC news article on it a few days ago and those in charge of national security have stated that leaving would compromise their ability to communicate with other European security agencies, and I'm sure they're much more informed on this matter than we are.
1. We're already not controlling our borders very well. Most immigrants in the UK are from outside the EU, and most of them are unskilled. If immigration is that much of a properly you should be campaigning to keep out some of the hundreds of thousands of non-EU immigrants, because that wouldn't require leaving the EU. If we're already letting in more people than we need, why do you think it would be any different if we left the EU?

That said, immigration is overall beneficial for us anyway. The number of skilled workers coming from the EU would inevitable decrease if we were to leave. It's not as simple as "letting them in" - they have to actually want to come in.

2. I don't get this. Do you think British research is somehow better than research from other countries? Because I'd far rather money goes to the best research projects, national borders shouldn't even come into it.

As for climate change, that's ridiculous. Money is simply better spent elsewhere to fight climate change. £1million to some countries can reduce their emissions far more than it would in the UK. We'd literally be getting less for our money. Climate change is a global problem, and to make our money less effective just so we're spending it in our country is horribly short-sighted and disgustingly arrogant.

3. Do you understand proportions? There are 1 million Brits (that's 1 million people from 1 country) across all other countries. Compared to 3 million people from 28 countries in the UK.

To put it into perspective, there are 780,000 British people living in Spain.

On average, there are 107,000 migrants from each EU country living in the UK.

4. How is it relevant that we trade more outside the EU? 45% of our exports go to the EU. That's 45% of our exports going to 14% of the countries in the world. That's a huge amount of our exports.

I don't know where this idea that the EU is "declining" is coming from. It's not. The EU's GDP grew all last year at a rate slightly lower than the US, and unemployment in the EU fell. The EU isn't declining, that's just a lie.

I also don't see how it's remotely relevant that there are more jobs linked to non-EU than EU countries. Staying in the EU isn't going to affect the jobs related to non-EU countries. Leaving the EU absolutely will affect the jobs related to the EU.

As for an FTA, it's entirely in their interest not to negotiate one. If people can just leave and get an FTA on demand the EU falls apart. It's in their interest to let our economy suffer, make an example of us, and then let us back in when we inevitably beg them to.

5. I've asked before and never received an answer, but people always refer to "red tape" as if it's the only thing stopped the UK being a world superpower. So, what red tape?

As for fishing laws, I really don't believe you're serious. Pro-French? British fishing industries have been suffering for years, and it's not because of the EU, it's because of overfishing. Fishing quotas exist to protect fish populations. If we catch too many fish, the fish go extinct, and then nobody catches any fish. It's nothing to do with being "Pro-French". The EU holds our government accountable and prevents us from "democratically" making catastrophic decisions. I'm happy for them to do that.

6. We do determine our fate, hence this ridiculous referendum.

You seriously show your hatred for Britain and lack of understanding.

1) No Wrong. Net migration from EU nations is much higher than from outside. Fact!

2) You don't get this? maybe you need a basic maths lesson as we spend more than we receive back which is ridiculous and yes British money goes for British Investment

3) More than twice as many Europeans live in the Uk than vice versa, don't you understand proportions? Means they benefit more than us again.

4) EU is in decline that's just a fact. The share is massively down year on year and the rest of the world is the future of our growth. Yes EU will want FTA as it will be very detrimental to them because once again they get more out of us than vice versa.

5) Red tape is clearly a problem, even the most pro EU supporters agree their needs to be change in EU and reduce the ridiculous amount of regulation limiting growth. And yes it is French biased, British fishing is unfairly treated. Go and do some research (and not from your clearly left wing anti British sources) rather than expecting me to teach you everything.

6) If you actually think we determine our fate you seriously need to get your head checked. Your lack of knowledge is laughable and come back once you learn something not spoon fed to you by mass immigration supporting communists.
Quite an easy choice.

1) Democracy = Leave EU.

2) Dictatorship = Stay in EU.
Reply 46
Original post by otester
Quite an easy choice.

1) Democracy = Leave EU.

2) Dictatorship = Stay in EU.

You're going to have to explain that one to me
Original post by mes99
You're going to have to explain that one to me

You have an EU flag as your avatar so I presume you to be knowledgeable on how it works and how legislation is created, passed and implemented?
Reply 48
found that EU migrants contributed 34% more in taxes than they took in benefits

Got this far before giving up.

Direct benefits such as tax credits and housing benefit are not the only form of benefit. Everything from school places to hospital beds also need to be funded and are often ignored in these studies which link income tax to benefit consumption.

I recall reading that anyone below an income of about £30,000 is a net drain on public finances. I wonder how many of these low skilled migrants are earning anything close to this threshold.

Regardless; for every immigrant who has taken a low skilled job and paying (tiny) income tax from it... there is someone else who now can't work that job and so has to receive far larger payments of benefits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by otester
You have an EU flag as youravatar so I presume you to be knowledgeable on how it works and how legislationis created, passed and implemented?

Of course. I'm concerned about your statement that leaving the EU will increase our ability to legislate for ourselves.

It is already deluded to think that the European Union is anything close to a dictatorship. In fact, the UK is one of the most influential members of the EU. It has the second highest weight - tied with France - in the decisions of the European Council, the institution which guides European Union policy. Members of the European Council are democratically elected heads of state.

The legislative body of the EU, the European Commission, is approved by the European Council and the equally democratically elected members of the European parliament.The relative independence of the European Commission is meant for the sake of an impartial and cohesive view of what is best for the Union. This is not equatable to what you're referencing to - an unelected mass of ill-willing bureaucratic oppressors looking to impose on you the tyrannical laws of some other nation.

The Union has been rightly criticised in the past for having a 'democratic deficiency' - this is a problem that can be found even at its inception - but in its present form, it can hardly be said that the EU is a dictatorship.

And, arguably, the case can be made that leaving the EU would drastically decrease the 'democracy' in the legislative process of the United Kingdom.

The UK is incredibly dependent on trade with the European Union as a driver of its economic growth; statistics that point to that fact have been well presented in previous posts. But more importantly, the UK's economy is dominated by the services sector - representing a whopping 78% of our GDP. Our country has specialized in sectors such as finance, law, accountancy, media, etc. You get the picture: the direct consequence of this is that a majority of our exports are services and we are, as a result, extremely dependent on access to the European common market.

If the UK leaves Europe, it will no longer be able to export its services en masse with the ease it had enjoyed in the past. Major European economies, however, will have no problem inundating the UK's market with their manufactured goods, as per WTO free trade agreements. The argument that the UK doesn't need EU membership to enjoy trade advantages is unfounded: the ability to sell its services in Europe is so essential to the British economy that a future outside of the common market would simply be unimaginable.

If the United Kingdom does leave the union, it will be forced to find a way to reintegrate the common market in order to survive - this through an agreement with the EU like Sweden or Norway's. Presently, Sweden and Norway - who are not EU members - must abide by all European legislation without actually having a say in things - this case does indeed sound more like a 'dictatorship' of sorts than a democracy.

The UK simply cannot remain economically competitive without access to the common market. What Brexit proposes, is giving up our right to decide how it's run. That's a loss for democracy.
Original post by mes99
Of course. I'm concerned about your statement that leaving the EU will increase our ability to legislate for ourselves.

It is already deluded to think that the European Union is anything close to a dictatorship. In fact, the UK is one of the most influential members of the EU. It has the second highest weight - tied with France - in the decisions of the European Council, the institution which guides European Union policy. Members of the European Council are democratically elected heads of state.

The legislative body of the EU, the European Commission, is approved by the European Council and the equally democratically elected members of the European parliament.The relative independence of the European Commission is meant for the sake of an impartial and cohesive view of what is best for the Union. This is not equatable to what you're referencing to - an unelected mass of ill-willing bureaucratic oppressors looking to impose on you the tyrannical laws of some other nation.

The Union has been rightly criticised in the past for having a 'democratic deficiency' - this is a problem that can be found even at its inception - but in its present form, it can hardly be said that the EU is a dictatorship.

And, arguably, the case can be made that leaving the EU would drastically decrease the 'democracy' in the legislative process of the United Kingdom.

The UK is incredibly dependent on trade with the European Union as a driver of its economic growth; statistics that point to that fact have been well presented in previous posts. But more importantly, the UK's economy is dominated by the services sector - representing a whopping 78% of our GDP. Our country has specialized in sectors such as finance, law, accountancy, media, etc. You get the picture: the direct consequence of this is that a majority of our exports are services and we are, as a result, extremely dependent on access to the European common market.

If the UK leaves Europe, it will no longer be able to export its services en masse with the ease it had enjoyed in the past. Major European economies, however, will have no problem inundating the UK's market with their manufactured goods, as per WTO free trade agreements. The argument that the UK doesn't need EU membership to enjoy trade advantages is unfounded: the ability to sell its services in Europe is so essential to the British economy that a future outside of the common market would simply be unimaginable.

If the United Kingdom does leave the union, it will be forced to find a way to reintegrate the common market in order to survive - this through an agreement with the EU like Sweden or Norway's. Presently, Sweden and Norway - who are not EU members - must abide by all European legislation without actually having a say in things - this case does indeed sound more like a 'dictatorship' of sorts than a democracy.

The UK simply cannot remain economically competitive without access to the common market. What Brexit proposes, is giving up our right to decide how it's run. That's a loss for democracy.

The wall of text doesn't hide the fact that an unelected body makes the laws and therefore fails to meet the definition of democracy.
Original post by otester
The wall of text doesn't hide the fact that an unelected body makes the laws and therefore fails to meet the definition of democracy.

"I won't bother to read all that text 'cause its probably wrong and EU is a bad dictatorship anyway"

No wonder Brexit is so popular if its supporters share this kind of attitude...
Original post by Blank_Planet
"I won't bother to read all that text 'cause its probably wrong and EU is a bad dictatorship anyway"

No wonder Brexit is so popular if its supporters share this kind of attitude...

How do you know I didn't read it?
Reply 53
I wouldn't worry about a few immigrants coming to the UK.

You might want to be more worried about the millions of UK ex-pats that will be chucked out of the EU should Brexit happen. Their homes will sell for peanuts and they will be unable to afford anything in the UK. I suppose that might push up the housing benefits bill a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heinz59
I wouldn't worry about a few immigrants coming to the UK.

You might want to be more worried about the millions of UK ex-pats that will be chucked out of the EU should Brexit happen. Their homes will sell for peanuts and they will be unable to afford anything in the UK. I suppose that might push up the housing benefits bill a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

And why and how will these people be chucked out?

Also over 600,000 migrants a year isn't a few

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just no.
Reply 56
Original post by paul514
And why and how will these people be chucked out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? Do you even know what Schengen is?
Original post by mes99
What do you mean? Do you even know what Schengen is?

Yes it is an area without border checks you said the British ex pats would be forced to leave and come back to the uk.

My question is why and once you have explained that explain how they will find and remove those people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by paul514
Yes it is an area without border checks you said the British ex pats would be forced to leave and come back to the uk.

My question is why and once you have explained that explain how they will find and remove those people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, excuse me.

Thanks to the European Union and to Schengen, British citizens are allowed to live and work in other European countries without a visa almost as if they were living in Britain.

Once the United Kingdom leaves the EU, these rights will be revocated. Some citizens may simply be expelled. Many others will be detained as they go through the lengthy process of reapplying for permanent residency. The consequences of the UK's withdrawal from the EU will also mean much stronger restrictions on family reunions - many British citizens will have to see the rest of their family return to the UK without them. Access to employment and benefits will also be far more restricted.

Many forget that there is about the same amount of British citizens living in the rest of the EU than other EU citizens living in Britain. When pondering Brexit, it is important to keep them in mind as well.
Original post by mes99
Of course, excuse me.

Thanks to the European Union and to Schengen, British citizens are allowed to live and work in other European countries without a visa almost as if they were living in Britain.

Once the United Kingdom leaves the EU, these rights will be revocated. Some citizens may simply be expelled. Many others will be detained as they go through the lengthy process of reapplying for permanent residency. The consequences of the UK's withdrawal from the EU will also mean much stronger restrictions on family reunions - many British citizens will have to see the rest of their family return to the UK without them. Access to employment and benefits will also be far more restricted.

Many forget that there is about the same amount of British citizens living in the rest of the EU than other EU citizens living in Britain. When pondering Brexit, it is important to keep them in mind as well.

Ok so you can't say with any certainty that these people will be sent back.

You can't explain how they will practically send them back.

Could you explain why they would desire to send them back when they have similar numbers of their citizens in our country?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending