The Student Room Group

Need help in regards to doing A Levels

Hi,I want to go into medicine, but I'm studying BTEC IT. I did pass all my GCSEs however had to pick BTEC IT for a specific reason, anyways I've spoken to my teachers and turns out that completing 1 year won't get me a qualification, I need to complete two years, by the time I'm 18. My Maths and Science GCSE results weren't as good, but I never revised and still passed, I had a few issues going on but I'm sorted now.

I was figuring of studying Science and Maths GCSE at home, then when I'm 18 I do GCSE exams next year, after which I apply for A Levels, Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Maths, is this possible to do? Will I be able to resit Maths and Science aswell?
It's going to be difficult for anyone on TSR to really help fully, because it completely depends on your school/college's policies regarding the matter. If I were you, I would talk to the head of sixth form or whoever deals with these sorts of things at your school (an office administrator should be able to tell you). However, it might just be worth noting that the A level sciences (I take Biology) really do build from GCSE, so if you don't know the GCSE content securely enough to get an A, possibly a B, it could be a bit tricky. Obviously, I don't know if this applies to you or not, as you might feel very confident with the content of GCSE, but it's just something to note because lots of people in my school have dropped the subject a couple of months into sixth form because of this. All the best!
Reply 2
Original post by ThatIzziGirl
It's going to be difficult for anyone on TSR to really help fully, because it completely depends on your school/college's policies regarding the matter. If I were you, I would talk to the head of sixth form or whoever deals with these sorts of things at your school (an office administrator should be able to tell you). However, it might just be worth noting that the A level sciences (I take Biology) really do build from GCSE, so if you don't know the GCSE content securely enough to get an A, possibly a B, it could be a bit tricky. Obviously, I don't know if this applies to you or not, as you might feel very confident with the content of GCSE, but it's just something to note because lots of people in my school have dropped the subject a couple of months into sixth form because of this. All the best!

Okay thanks, but is it actually possible to do the things I want to do?
With the competition, in all absolute honesty I don't think you'd be cut out for it. If you were sort of forced to do IT Btech and had no idea/currently have no idea to research something posted x100 and didn't even know what you btech entailed(the awarding system), I doubt you'd be cut for medicine. They generally want people who don't need it all explained for them. But all the best. This is coming from someone that ace'd GCSE like a slice of ace but is repeating A2. A-levels are no joke lol. I am brutal but I rather be, than pretend that you have the same chance as someone who has consistently done well.
Reply 4
Original post by Lawbringer
With the competition, in all absolute honesty I don't think you'd be cut out for it. If you were sort of forced to do IT Btech and had no idea/currently have no idea to research something posted x100 and didn't even know what you btech entailed(the awarding system), I doubt you'd be cut for medicine. They generally want people who don't need it all explained for them. But all the best. This is coming from someone that ace'd GCSE like a slice of ace but is repeating A2. A-levels are no joke lol. I am brutal but I rather be, than pretend that you have the same chance as someone who has consistently done well.

I appreciate it, no worries, if not I might do an apprenticeship in construction, hate IT.
Original post by dna123
I appreciate it, no worries, if not I might do an apprenticeship in construction, hate IT.

If you want to do it, go for it, the risk is high though. GCSEs all over again, then 2 years of A-level and it is by no means easy. That's if they even accept GCSE resists. Remember there are people with the grades, that don't get in.

I enjoy IT but making it my job would kill me lol. Look at stuff like higher apprenticeships if you want to try them, they seem pretty good, even degree apprenticeships, they get you a degree in them.

Other will perhaps advise you otherwise, but I gave my truthful opinion, maybe someone wiser could help you better.
Original post by dna123

I believe there's always a way, but if you want to be a doctor, you're going to need chemistry A level. To take chemistry A level, you really do need to understand the GCSE stuff - it builds on it and becomes much harder (according to everyone in my year that I've talked to about it). I would talk to your head of sixth and explain your concerns. She/he will probably be able to help you regarding your school's rules about this sort of thing. Also, I'd talk to the head of chemistry/science and see if she/he can help as well. Good luck and keep chasing!!
Original post by dna123
Hi,I want to go into medicine, but I'm studying BTEC IT. I did pass all my GCSEs however had to pick BTEC IT for a specific reason, anyways I've spoken to my teachers and turns out that completing 1 year won't get me a qualification, I need to complete two years, by the time I'm 18. My Maths and Science GCSE results weren't as good, but I never revised and still passed, I had a few issues going on but I'm sorted now.

I was figuring of studying Science and Maths GCSE at home, then when I'm 18 I do GCSE exams next year, after which I apply for A Levels, Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Maths, is this possible to do? Will I be able to resit Maths and Science aswell?

Hi,
if you commit to the route to medicine, then NEC can help get you there. It's still possible to book exams for this summer at Campbell-Harris in London, to improve your I/GCSE grades in what subjects you already know. NEC can help a little in the final weeks towards these. Might then be a good idea to do separate IGCSE sciences towards 2017 exams. Speak to the Unis about that.
We can help moreso towards A level subjects relevant to medicine for 2017 or 2018 exams, eg Maths, Chemistry, Biology. Hover over our profile and click to contact me for a chat.
Daniel
Original post by dna123

**** GCSE's and you want to go into a industry that holds peoples lives in the brink? You must hate people more than I do!
Original post by dna123

Is there a reason you're particularly keen on medicine rather than any other health professions?

Quick Reply

Latest