The Student Room Group

I've fallen for my flatmate?

I am a post grad physics student and have been living with my flatmate for about a year now in London she is doing a masters in fine art. Initially there was another guy living with us but it turned out that the attic room where I was living wasn't legal for rent and the other guy decided to move in with his girlfriend and let me have his room. So it is fluke we are living together at all.

She was quite shy at first but as we got used to living with each other we got to like each other we are both vegetarian so we would cook for each other and have night in watching dvd's. I guess I am more social than her and probably went out and dated more but as time went on I probably started to prefer staying in with her.

Then last spring I got really sick with a bad flu, I was really ill when I couldn't afford to be due to uni. She dropped everything to look after me. She cooked me soup, filled my hot water bottle, rubbed vicks on my chest and feet (it stops you coughing!) and generally stayed with me and I did get well really quickly. The girl I was dating at the time sent me a couple text messages but didn't visit in case she got sick. We didn't last long after that.

After that I started looking at my flatmate in a new light. She is not "hot" in the traditional sense of the word but she is beautiful I noticed how clear and perfect her pale skin was, how shiny and thick her long dark hair was and her beautiful dreamy eyes. I started to feel almost a bit nervous sitting to close to her on the couch at night and I missed her painfully when I went back home to Dublin in the summer but I never made a move.

We are now both back in the flat and on Friday she went out with a guy she works with. She looked amazing when she got ready and I pretty much spent the whole time she was out with him wracked with jealousy and worried she wouldn't come but she did. I don't think I've ever felt so relieved as I did when I heard her key in the lock at 11pm and he wasn't wasn't with her!

I feel I have to say something to her about how I feel about her but it's difficult. I don't want to mess up my domestic situation or our friendship. She has no idea how I feel about her and she is not the sort of girl who is aware of how beautiful she is or when guys like her. I have no idea how she feels about me, if she sees me as a possible boyfriend?

Sometimes I think just don't say anything but then what if she starts seeing someone else, I don't think I could handle that if I hadn't at least told her how I felt about her.

What should I do?
This is so sweet!

You just have to tell her, nothing is worse than regret in these situations. I know I've been there. If she looked after you like you said when you were ill, she obviously cares for you.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I would try telling her as you will really regret it if she gets another boy friend
Awww I love how you had to point out what Vicks does. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Malachi87
I am a post grad physics student and have been living with my flatmate for about a year now in London she is doing a masters in fine art. Initially there was another guy living with us but it turned out that the attic room where I was living wasn't legal for rent and the other guy decided to move in with his girlfriend and let me have his room. So it is fluke we are living together at all.

She was quite shy at first but as we got used to living with each other we got to like each other we are both vegetarian so we would cook for each other and have night in watching dvd's. I guess I am more social than her and probably went out and dated more but as time went on I probably started to prefer staying in with her.

Then last spring I got really sick with a bad flu, I was really ill when I couldn't afford to be due to uni. She dropped everything to look after me. She cooked me soup, filled my hot water bottle, rubbed vicks on my chest and feet (it stops you coughing!) and generally stayed with me and I did get well really quickly. The girl I was dating at the time sent me a couple text messages but didn't visit in case she got sick. We didn't last long after that.

After that I started looking at my flatmate in a new light. She is not "hot" in the traditional sense of the word but she is beautiful I noticed how clear and perfect her pale skin was, how shiny and thick her long dark hair was and her beautiful dreamy eyes. I started to feel almost a bit nervous sitting to close to her on the couch at night and I missed her painfully when I went back home to Dublin in the summer but I never made a move.

We are now both back in the flat and on Friday she went out with a guy she works with. She looked amazing when she got ready and I pretty much spent the whole time she was out with him wracked with jealousy and worried she wouldn't come but she did. I don't think I've ever felt so relieved as I did when I heard her key in the lock at 11pm and he wasn't wasn't with her!

I feel I have to say something to her about how I feel about her but it's difficult. I don't want to mess up my domestic situation or our friendship. She has no idea how I feel about her and she is not the sort of girl who is aware of how beautiful she is or when guys like her. I have no idea how she feels about me, if she sees me as a possible boyfriend?

Sometimes I think just don't say anything but then what if she starts seeing someone else, I don't think I could handle that if I hadn't at least told her how I felt about her.

What should I do?

No girl is rubbing "vicks" on a guys feet unless she is pretty into the guy. Just kiss her already!

P.S. you guys can actually live together and like each other, your attraction grew after spending lots of time togther. Basically she is already your "wife" in many ways. I'd say she is a real keeper.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Awww, that's really sweet!

But OP try telling her , you never know she probably feels the same considering how she devoted her time to look after you when you were ill :smile:
Reply 6
What did she say about the night out? If not so? Maybe you are the guy missing from her life :wink:

Go for it opportunities like THIS do NOT grow on trees honestly I think this is ripe for the picking!
Reply 7
I agree, very sweet!

I'm dating my housemate. We had a similar situation (minus the flu) where we were spending more and more time together. He ended up asking me out and I said yes. But I was made aware that he had a crush on me by another housemate so I had time to think about it (as im pretty crap at picking up if someone likes me). So perhaps drop a few hints to get her thinking about you in that way first.
I hope it all works out 😁
Reply 9
Original post by ScientificScot

Why have you dredged up this thread?
Reply 10
Original post by ScientificScot

Original post by John55
Why have you dredged up this thread?

OP is probably married with kids by now lol
Reply 11