The Student Room Group

Unemployed with a first class degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000
You've just proved my point though- have a strong application and you don't need to make that many before you get interviews. I got an interview for only the second job I applied for.

Once you have made your CV strong every application will be 'strong'.

I don't think you really understand - I'll try and spell out the logic for you:

1. Graduate jobs are very very competitive.

2. As such, no matter how good you are getting an interview is tough (low probability)

3. Getting through interviews is another low probability event

4. Low probability x low probability = very very low probability

5. As such for an expected value of successes > 1 need to have a very very large number of applications.
Original post by Sabster
Once you have made your CV strong every application will be 'strong'.

I don't think you really understand - I'll try and spell out the logic for you:

1. Graduate jobs are very very competitive.

2. As such, no matter how good you are getting an interview is tough (low probability)

3. Getting through interviews is another low probability event

4. Low probability x low probability = very very low probability

5. As such for an expected value of successes > 1 need to have a very very large number of applications.

I do understand and I still disagree with what you say, my own experience has taught me its more than just luck & probability which gets you interviews & the job.
I do understand and I still disagree with what you say, my own experience has taught me its more than just luck & probability which gets you interviews & the job.

I respectfully disagree.

Let's assume you are correct for a second, whats the downside of applying to lots of places?
Original post by Sabster
I respectfully disagree.

Let's assume you are correct for a second, whats the downside of applying to lots of places?

I didn't say there was one. The more well done applications that are sent out, the better. Maybe not in your chosen career area, but in mine and all the advice I've ever seen/be given, tailoring the CV/covering letter was the no1 point, and the interviews I've recieved have come when I've tailored them best.
(edited 8 years ago)
I hate, no, I loathe employers and the recruitment system with every fibre of my being. **** capitalism.
I didn't say there was one. The more well done applications that are sent out, the better. Maybe not in your chosen career area, but in mine and all the advice I've ever seen/be given, tailoring the CV/covering letter was the no1 point, and the interviews I've recieved have come when I've tailored them best.

There isn't that much you can do to tailor your CV..

And tiloring a cover letter takes 5-10 minutes per firm..
I saw a Ad from a organisation offering £30k a year just to train as a science teacher...look it up?
Original post by Sabster
I couldn't disgaree more - as someone who has/had offers from large IBs and top tier strategy consulting firms it is all about the numbers game - recruiting is hard and there is a lot of luck involved.

(I applied to a complete spectrum of places (all top tier HFs etc) this year and got interviews in every sector without tailoring my CV very much if at all, similar thing with cover letter).

Obviously this is assuming you haven't massively ****ed up your CV.

that sounds like quite a narrow spectrum tbh... perhaps there wasn't much tailoring required in comparison to the spectrum of jobs open to our physics graduate.

congrats on the offers but I don't think your advice is universally applicable.
Original post by helpmekid

- Have you thought about becoming a physics teacher?

Yes definitely. Good physics teachers are scarce these days. There in demand too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabster
I respectfully disagree.

Your applications end up being poor.

My experience here is largely limited to law, but in that context at least it's the people who send out 80 rushed applications who get 80 rejections. The people who spend a proper amount of time tailoring a handful of applications to their particular recipients at least get interviews.

The 'numbers game' can be very gravely counter-productive if you don't exercise proper moderation.
Original post by Sabster
There isn't that much you can do to tailor your CV..

And tiloring a cover letter takes 5-10 minutes per firm..

:rofl:
Reply 71

A sample of one is not usually considered sufficient to draw a conclusion from about the general population. For example we don't know what sort of work history and qualifications you have, your location, what sort of jobs and companies you applied for and how you come across at interviews. Someone can easily come along and say they had to send out dozens of high quality applications to land just one interview.

To draw a conclusion that you only need a few good applications to land a job would be to assume other applicants will have similar qualifications and work experience and applying for similar jobs in similar locations as you which is unlikely.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

My experience here is largely limited to law, but in that context at least it's the people who send out 80 rushed applications who get 80 rejections. The people who spend a proper amount of time tailoring a handful of applications to their particular recipients at least get interviews.

The 'numbers game' can be very gravely counter-productive if you don't exercise proper moderation.

Thank you!
Original post by Maker
A sample of one is not usually considered sufficient to draw a conclusion from about the general population. For example we don't know what sort of work history and qualifications you have, your location, what sort of jobs and companies you applied for and how you come across at interviews. Someone can easily come along and say they had to send out dozens of high quality applications to land just one interview.

To draw a conclusion that you only need a few good applications to land a job would be to assume other applicants will have similar qualifications and work experience and applying for similar jobs in similar locations as you which is unlikely.

When I've been recruiting - the number of applications that went straight in the "no pile" from applicants who stated that they paid great attention to detail but then also managed to use the wrong name/title for the organisation or department they were applying for (or similar mistakes like copy and pasting information with the wrong job title in it or just talking about skills or experience with no relevance to the job) was very high.

Although to be fair the rate of these silly mistakes is very similar between both graduates, students applying for internships and professionals with years of experience.

It takes half an hour to an hour to fully research a company and the department you're applying for to the level where you can properly tailor a CV or application.

I've downloaded fonts in the past to make sure my presentations in interview used an organisational brand guidelines. If you present yourself as someone who understands and can step into the existing culture of an organisation then you have a substantial advantage over someone who rocks up at interview without even a clue about the industry never mind the business.
Reply 74
Original post by PQ
I've downloaded fonts in the past to make sure my presentations in interview used an organisational brand guidelines. If you present yourself as someone who understands and can step into the existing culture of an organisation then you have a substantial advantage over someone who rocks up at interview without even a clue about the industry never mind the business.

^Top tip that. Been there, done that, got the job :wink:
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Why do the applications need to be rushed? You have infinite time.. you are unemployed.. I guess most people are just lazy.

How can it be counter productive?

it really doesn't take long to research a firm/role then write 100 or so words on it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Ok maybe 5-10 minutes is an exaggeration. But definitely no longer than an hour per firm - you can easily to 5 good applications per day....
Original post by Sabster
Ok maybe 5-10 minutes is an exaggeration. But definitely no longer than an hour per firm - you can easily to 5 good applications per day....

I was laughing at "There isn't that much you can do to tailor your CV.."
Original post by PQ
I was laughing at "There isn't that much you can do to tailor your CV.."

Oh I am sure you can do small things, but realistically you can have 3-4 different CVs for the different sectors you are applying to.

It does not take time to tailor your CV, it just seems like everyone is too lazy to do what is necessary.
Original post by Sabster
How can it be counter productive?

it really doesn't take long to research a firm/role then write 100 or so words on it.

You're doing it wrong to be honest. There's not much more to it than that. If you've managed to get through to the odd interview and performed well enough to get offers after making only cursory edits to a standard form covering letter on the basis of cursory research then I'm happy for you, but you would have had a much higher interview rate and used your time much more effectively overall if you'd picked a smaller number of places that really appealed to you and taken a proper amount of time to explain why you were right for each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending