The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,
I sent in my application for an MPhil in physics at the start of December which has been stuck at the under consideration by department stage. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or whether I should begin to get seriously anxious/worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2201
Original post by dani284
Has anyone heard of Trust funding for MPhil? I guess nominations went out for PhD only.

Not yet I think, but I had a feeling that they are usually quite late with announcing decisions for MPhils? I am eligible for the European and Santander scholarship, very much hope that I will find out some time soon...
Original post by jgeelong
Hi RobsErica I have applied for the same course and was just wondering how your application was going?

Hi jgeelong,
Unfortunately I am still in the 'under consideration stage', so losing hope now really. I know you shouldn't think like that, but feel my application was a long shot anyway.

How about you? What stage are you at?
Original post by RobsErica
Hi jgeelong,
Unfortunately I am still in the 'under consideration stage', so losing hope now really. I know you shouldn't think like that, but feel my application was a long shot anyway.

How about you? What stage are you at?

Same! I kind of just expect not to get in now. It was so long that I applied I'm not sure I'm even bothered anymore.
Original post by SiaSiaSia
Same! I kind of just expect not to get in now. It was so long that I applied I'm not sure I'm even bothered anymore.

I am in the same boat, what course are you applying for and what's your profile?
Reply 2205
Cambridge Trust in response to my email: "Successful students will be informed between late March and July if you have been successful in gaining a scholarship."

So helpful :P
Accepted at Darwin College! Good? Bad? Anyone else?
Good luck to all those waiting
Reply 2207
Original post by lavaandmosquitos
I still haven't had the official email, but I'm hoping it comes by the end of the day! Good luck, I'm sure your offer is on the way! :smile:

Thank you so much. Good news is I have just received the offer today on Camsis. However, I have gotten the official email yet. What about you ?
Original post by NewtoIB123
Hey guys,
I sent in my application for an MPhil in physics at the start of December which has been stuck at the under consideration by department stage. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or whether I should begin to get seriously anxious/worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I applied to another department but I am still under consideration by department. I even had an interview a couple of days ago and prof said he would be happy for me to take the job, yet I am still under consideration by department.

Really guys don't loose the hope, and if possible send an e-mail to the departments, that may help if they have your application under a pile. Also there are supposed to still make a well amount of offer during this month, lets hope everything will be fine.

Good luck.
Original post by sazs
Thank you so much. Good news is I have just received the offer today on Camsis. However, I have gotten the official email yet. What about you ?

Congratulations! I got my email this afternoon- the only condition really is that I get a 2.1 minimum and meet the funding commitments. I haven't heard anything about funding, but I presume the department tells you when they've made a decision. :smile:
Has anyone here applied for the Archaeology MPhil? My application was complete with referees etc. towards the end of January, status still shows 'Awaiting consideration by department'. With most the offers coming around February/March the tension is getting real.

Will the fact that I submitted later mean there is effectively a lower chance of getting in? In other words, will I be near the bottom of a pile, and its possible that by the time they get there most places have been given?
Reply 2211
Original post by shamika
Congrats! I'll need more information to be helpful though. What were you planning on doing after Part III, and what area of physics are you interested in? To an extent it doesn't matter what you pick as there is overlap between the two courses.

Thanks! :smile:

Well, the long-term goal is to do research, so after my master's I'm going for a PhD. I'm particularly interested in particle physics, fields, and whatever takes me towards a greater understanding of what everything is made of and how it is all connected on some fundamental level (which is a huge amount of physics, I know). If I take Part III I'll go for the Particles track, and if i take Physics I'll take QFT and AdvQFT from maths, and then everything related to particle physics of course. I'm obviously leaning heavily towards theory, but I do find experiments fascinating and have always enjoyed the part of lab sessions where you get to analyse and interpret the results.

The big question is, what do I gain by choosing one course over the other, and what do I give up?
Original post by Aceadria
Beautiful College! Have fun :smile:

Thanks are you going there too?
Original post by TremelliusScrofa

Will the fact that I submitted later mean there is effectively a lower chance of getting in? In other words, will I be near the bottom of a pile, and its possible that by the time they get there most places have been given?

No. They take and read applications as they come in, but apart from a few high flyers who get early offers (and there are more of them in high volume course and more in applicant pools where the entry standards are very conventional and well known), they make the bulk of applications in Feb or March once they have a good idea of the size and quality of the applicant pool.

The smaller the course, and the more diverse the sources of applicants (eg IR and politics courses, environmental courses etc that will take applicants with professional experience or a wide range of degrees) the longer it takes to judge the quality of applicants, and make the bulk of decisions.

When they say that decisions are made on a rolling basis, they do not mean 'every 4 weeks we make a decision on all the applications we have received in that time period'. What they mean is 'We read all applications as they come in and every 4 weeks we make offers to the top 2% and say no to the bottom 10% until we get more brutal in Feb/Mar when we have fuller visibility of the quality and size of the applicant pool' - All numbers totally invented for example purposes!!

If they don't have a deadline, they may also make offers much later than that.

All you can deduce from your application taking ages to be decided is that you aren't an absolute unquestionable superstar, but you are competitive.
Original post by Flamehallow182
Thanks are you going there too?

No, I'll be going to Jesus (first choice).
Original post by threeportdrift
No. They take and read applications as they come in, but apart from a few high flyers who get early offers (and there are more of them in high volume course and more in applicant pools where the entry standards are very conventional and well known), they make the bulk of applications in Feb or March once they have a good idea of the size and quality of the applicant pool.

The smaller the course, and the more diverse the sources of applicants (eg IR and politics courses, environmental courses etc that will take applicants with professional experience or a wide range of degrees) the longer it takes to judge the quality of applicants, and make the bulk of decisions.

When they say that decisions are made on a rolling basis, they do not mean 'every 4 weeks we make a decision on all the applications we have received in that time period'. What they mean is 'We read all applications as they come in and every 4 weeks we make offers to the top 2% and say no to the bottom 10% until we get more brutal in Feb/Mar when we have fuller visibility of the quality and size of the applicant pool' - All numbers totally invented for example purposes!!

If they don't have a deadline, they may also make offers much later than that.

All you can deduce from your application taking ages to be decided is that you aren't an absolute unquestionable superstar, but you are competitive.

Thank you so much for such a good explanation! It's hard not to go a little crazy when you're waiting for news, but it's good to know that in some way no news can be good news. It is interesting that smaller courses take longer to deliver decisions, the course I have applied for rarely gets 100 applicants, but I had always just assumed that would make the process quicker.

Thank you again anyway, I'l just go back to merrily refreshing the self service account like a lunatic now:ahee:
Original post by TremelliusScrofa
Thank you so much for such a good explanation! It's hard not to go a little crazy when you're waiting for news, but it's good to know that in some way no news can be good news. It is interesting that smaller courses take longer to deliver decisions, the course I have applied for rarely gets 100 applicants, but I had always just assumed that would make the process quicker.

Thank you again anyway, I'l just go back to merrily refreshing the self service account like a lunatic now:ahee:

Small course, and possibly one with only a few, well known routes in (? I'm not sure), but then when it comes to assessing the quality of each application presumably the matching of dissertation title to academic has to be quite specific? So if you apply and suggest your dissertation might be on mapping underwater Irish bog settlements, you have to wait for the underwater bog settlement expert, who is off in a bog. You can't expect the Rift Valley skull academic to judge the quality of the application.

Some subjects lend themselves to allowing a more generalist approach to judging quality, and others need the one specific academic to assess specific applications.
Then of course you have to get Bog and Skulls into the same room with some sort of moderation because they each suggest their best 3 applicants for only 4 spaces on the course!
Hi, in case anybody is interested, the classics graduate administrator replied to my email regarding the application process. Evidently, the faculty released all applications received after the January 6 funding deadline for assessment late in February. Interviews will be arranged over the next few weeks. Good luck to anyone else who has applied.
Received info regarding an ESRC studentship today (got it, woo), doing a PhD in Land Economy, just thought I'd post in case it helps anyone that's anxiously waiting!
The good news wasthat I received a conditional offer for a PhD in History two weeks ago, and was successful in receiving an offer from my first choice college which was Queens. Submitted my form on the 4th January, references in by the 18th January, reached the Board of Graudate Studies on the 27th January, formally accepted on the 17th February, and in between the BOGS and beng formally accepted was asked to sumbit a plan of research by my potential supervisor. All seemed relatively easy and wasn't formally interviewed, although I did see my potential surpervisor for an informal meeting last October (he cited materia from my MA disertation in one of his journal articles). I nearly never bothered to apply to Cambridge as I thought I would never have a cat's chance in hell of being accepted

Still nervously waiting to hear back regarding my funding applications for the AHRC and the central University awards, although there is no news yet. Maybe I haven't been successful in the AHRC and I should have applied to the ERSC instead, as my topic was on economic history. Pretty nervous, since as we all know, its much harder to get funding than being accepted for the course even at Cambridge.

Congratulations to those who has so far received an offer or good news about funding, and good luck to those that are still awaiting news.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending