The Student Room Group

Revising with smell?

Heya

So, I've heard association is very good for revision, main things I've heard are certain types of music for different subjects.
Also heard different smells work too,
anyone have any evidence/experience?
Thinking of getting a different essential oil for each of my subjects
Thanks
Abi

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abzz789
Heya

So, I've heard association is very good for revision, main things I've heard are certain types of music for different subjects.
Also heard different smells work too,
anyone have any evidence/experience?
Thinking of getting a different essential oil for each of my subjects
Thanks
Abi

Seems to be much more a fad rather than a real thing.
Reply 2
Thanks for your input. If I'm honest I'm just getting desperate haha
I don't really see how that would work... And to be honest if I tried to do that I'd probably just get distracted and sit there smelling the nice oils instead of revising :lol:
i revised for my finals in a room perfumed with tobacco & stale beer.
Reply 5
wouldn't you need to be able to smell the same smells during the exam to recall the information? :lol:
I've tried this with perfume. I wear a certain perfume while revising, then wear the same one in the exam. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm willing to try anything!

And there was a study done suggesting that smell association improved exam performance. They gave students pens with a distinctive smell to use while revising and the ones who used these pens in the exam did better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Alex621
wouldn't you need to be able to smell the same smells during the exam to recall the information? :lol:

I could have the oil on a tissue in my pocket
Its an interesting idea, but I can't see that it will make that much difference.
Reply 9
I dunno about smell but my Bio teacher said when he was revising for his exams at Cambridge he would do one topic in one location (e.g library) then walk to another location and do another topic etc. Plus the exercise keeps you refreshed.
You could also use different coloured paper for each topic
Original post by the bear
i revised for my finals in a room perfumed with tobacco & stale beer.

Delightful
Original post by Abzz789

I'm not sure how this would work. I do know that it helps recall if you're trying to remember something in similar conditions to the conditions you were in when you learned it. So if you always revised listening to a certain type of music, you'd probably remember stuff better if you were listening to that type of music in an exam.

Obviously you can't do that, but I guess you could do it with smell. Maybe wear a certain aftershave/perfume/deoderant for each subject, and then wear it in the exam.

I've never tried it, but it'd be an interesting experiment!
Original post by Abzz789
I could have the oil on a tissue in my pocket

You're not allowed to bring your own tissues.
I read somewhere that chewing different flavoured gum whilst revising for a topic, and then chewing that flavour again in the test helps you to recall your revision. It's all about creating associations which work for you. For example, in spanish the word "cara" means face. I remember it because I associate the word "cara" with model Cara Delevingne who is famous for her face. Rather than associating words/topics with people, like I do in languages, to help you remember I guess your brain could also do it with smells or tastes. But I wouldn't risk smuggling gum or scented tissues into the exam. Instead, revise with flashcards or past exam questions which help you to properly store information in your long term memory without needing physical triggers, Good luck
I use physical association to help with revision. Hand and arm movements and stuff, which could probably be recreated in the exam. I think it definitely helps.
I dont even know half off the time i am in my room smells of perfume one day then something else like normal ?
When revising for my literature exam last year, I listened to songs while revising. Now, whenever I listen to that song, I just remember the time I revised for lit.:angry:
Alternatively, just go sniff some cow **** to feel what failure is like - that should help you revise.
Reply 18
Smells like bullcrap.
Original post by Abzz789
x

Well, if your Haemoglobin has a greater affinity for oxygen then revising with smells will be useful. I suggest trying to smell garlic because it keeps the vampires away.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest