The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2220
Has anybody heard from the CambridgeTrust today? As I noted above, the departmantal secretary has told me that the university will start offering the awards from 4th March...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by d1993
Has anybody heard from the CambridgeTrust today? As I noted above, the departmantal secretary has told me that the university will start offering the awards from 4th March...

I don't know how it is all working. I received an offer for a full scholarship on the 2nd of March, and got my offer letter through today. I wish you luck though!!!
Reply 2222
Congratulations! Am I guessing correctly that you are an international applicant? It was supposed to be CHESS today, for UK & EU applicants.
Has anyone applied for Medical Science/Clinical Science/Oncology/Cancer Research UK (CI)/CIMR for a PhD or MPhil?
Reply 2224
Hi all,

I have been invited for interview at the Classics Faculty. I am applying for a Mphil in Classics. Has anyone else completed an interview for Classics? I am super nervous. Any advice would be much appreciated x
I got my offer a few weeks ago, got into Christ's last week, and just met with my prospective (soon to be actual) supervisor today. I love the place!
Reply 2226
Original post by aware1
CHESS, you mean CHSS? I haven't had any emails (successful or unsuccessful), though I am unsure if I even made it to the deadline considering my referees may have submitted a bit later.

No, I was told I was nominated for CHESS (Cambridge European Scholarship, I suppose sub-category of CHSS). The deadline was I think 6th January. I was told of the nomination only when I inquired at my department.
Original post by d1993
No, I was told I was nominated for CHESS (Cambridge European Scholarship, I suppose sub-category of CHSS). The deadline was I think 6th January. I was told of the nomination only when I inquired at my department.

Ah thats awesome, too many similar acronyms used by the university.
Original post by 04rair
Hi all,

I have been invited for interview at the Classics Faculty. I am applying for a Mphil in Classics. Has anyone else completed an interview for Classics? I am super nervous. Any advice would be much appreciated x

Hi 04rair, if you don't mind, can you please tell me when you applied for the MPhil in classics? I applied on 8 February and completed my application on the 21st. The classics graduate administrator, whom I had emailed a few days ago, told me that all applications received since 6 January were released for assessment late in February.

Regarding the interview, what I am planning to do (If i get to the interview stage) is to read my research proposal and writing samples, and prepare to discuss anything that might come up relating to them. Also, I suppose it would be a good idea to prepare answers for general questions like why Cambridge, plans for the future, etc. Good luck with your interview!
Original post by TremelliusScrofa
Has anyone here applied for the Archaeology MPhil? My application was complete with referees etc. towards the end of January, status still shows 'Awaiting consideration by department'. With most the offers coming around February/March the tension is getting real.

Will the fact that I submitted later mean there is effectively a lower chance of getting in? In other words, will I be near the bottom of a pile, and its possible that by the time they get there most places have been given?

Hi TremelliusScrofa, I applied for the MPhil in Classics on 8 February, and completed the application by the 21st. In reply to my email, the classics graduate administrator told me that all applications received since 6 January were released for assessment late in February, although he hadn't quite got around to updating the statuses of individual applicants yet. So, mine still says 'awaiting consideration by department,' although I am given to understand that the faculty is going through my application right now.

I am not sure how things work in the department of archaeology. However, like in the faculty of classics, it might be possible that they are simply busy with other things. Also, I have read that some faculties don't even bother updating statuses to 'under consideration by department' and successful applicants jump straight to 'under consideration by degree committee' etc.

Lastly, concerning the timetable, I am in the same boat as you. I applied in February, although the classics faculty prefers to receive applications as early as possible, with 6 January being an informal deadline of sorts. Yet, as far as I am aware, my application is being considered at the same time as others. Admittedly, the classics faculty reviews applications as a gathered field, and it might be possible that things work differently in the department of archaeology. You might wish to email the department to clarify your status. Good luck with your application.
(edited 8 years ago)
hi guys
share a bad news with you guys. I've applied econometrics and mathematic economics at lse on Oct 11st, yes the first day the application process open. And lse informed me that they will cancel the programme onward. So the only application left for me is cam, i will either get an offer from cam and go to there, or i will end up to warwick doing economics.
Is anyone still applying? I've been applying for PhDs at other universities with no luck so far, so I'm thinking of starting to apply for masters courses instead. I've noticed the Cambridge ones say they'll accept applications up until the end of June, but I feel like they'll have allocated all the places by then! I'm not sure if it's even worth applying this late :indiff:
Original post by joeyye520
hi guys
share a bad news with you guys. I've applied econometrics and mathematic economics at lse on Oct 11st, yes the first day the application process open. And lse informed me that they will cancel the programme onward. So the only application left for me is cam, i will either get an offer from cam and go to there, or i will end up to warwick doing economics.

Which programme did you apply for, the 1 year MSc EME or 2 years Diploma + MSc ? I presume that LSE has abandoned the 2-year programme since I received an offer for MSc EME from LSE in late February.
Reply 2233
Hi everyone. Do you know how many days, on average, it takes to get a college membership after getting your offer from a department? Is it like 4-5 days or is it like 20-30 days? Thanks in advance!
Original post by TFG2794
Which programme did you apply for, the 1 year MSc EME or 2 years Diploma + MSc ? I presume that LSE has abandoned the 2-year programme since I received an offer for MSc EME from LSE in late February.

2 year. Your offer is for 1 year I guess
Original post by TFG2794

I am currently doing an finance course so I do not have the necessary background to embark on a 1 year course. Anyways, congrts for your lse eme offer, If i were u. I would go to lse with no doubts
Original post by vobll
Hi everyone. Do you know how many days, on average, it takes to get a college membership after getting your offer from a department? Is it like 4-5 days or is it like 20-30 days? Thanks in advance!

Depends on how busy the BoGS is. Seeing as a large chunk of offers is made around this time, I would be patient. It's hard to put an exact number on the timescale.
Reply 2237
For those that have received any notification about their nominations for CISS, did you reach out to your supervisor or was it to the department [and who exactly]? How helpful was it? Just trying to wrap my head around things.

Original post by RobsErica
Hi jgeelong,
Unfortunately I am still in the 'under consideration stage', so losing hope now really. I know you shouldn't think like that, but feel my application was a long shot anyway.

How about you? What stage are you at?

I am in the exact same boat... wish the anxiety would end!! I wish you nothing but success :smile:
Anyone receiving Gates Scholarship interview invitation? Cant believe the fact that they have sent out all invitations:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending