The Student Room Group

Have you ever been the victim of cyberbullying?

Poll

Have you ever been the victim of cyberbullying?

... and how did it make you feel?

As more and more people are connected in the ever-increasing online world, a select few seem to ruin the experience for other users. Whether it's the anonymity the Internet affords, or just the lower inhibitions of users who don't understand there's a real person behind the online profiles, cyberbullying is, unfortunately, prevalent in today's society.

Cyberbullying can manifest itself in many forms, many of which people don't realise actually constitute this form of behaviour. These include, but are not limited to, Harassment, Spreading Rumours, Flaming, Impersonation, Breach of Privacy and Leaking Private Information, Cyber Stalking, Exclusion, Threatening Behaviour, Inappropriate Images, Blackmail, and Grooming.

Being bullied, whether physically or in cyber space can have a detrimental impact on a particular user's wellbeing. In a series of threads over the coming weeks, I will be approaching many topics related to bullying and cyberbullying in an attempt to engage in discussion and raise awareness.

In order to start this series, have you ever been the victim of cyberbullying and how did it make you feel?

Scroll to see replies

I've been threatened with having my nudes exposed. (I blocked and they never did :K:)

When I was still in the closet, some people from my college messaged me on FB insinuating that I liked someone else and then taunted me with some perverse homosexual material. (I did like the person and I blocked them and nothing further happened)

I have been invited to group chats discussing holidays and what not and then removed or asked to leave before I'd even said a word (sometimes to wind me up). (I played it off cool and just complained to friends I had at the time. Nothing came off it)

At the time, the experiences hurt and caused a lot of stress but they pale in comparison to real life experiences I've had. Now I find it hard to take such things seriously. I'm more careful about my online activity and I just block and ignore before things get too bad. But I appreciate that someone in the grip of a situation may not be able to maintain such a stoic attitude.

I have the controversial opinion that it's hard to be cyberbullied by strangers on the internet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
anon should be allowed on this thread.

Good point, thank you :h:

I've moved this to Health where people should be able to post anonymously :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
A topless image got sent out of me when i was in the first year of college by my ex. it was sent all over facebook and sent to everyone. i got blackmailed by multiple people i didnt even know threatening to show her parents or her brother if i didnt send more or perform sex acts on them. of course i ignored them and they sent them to her family anyway. i was a minor that time (aged 16) and the guys who were blackmailing me/sending them around were not minors. everyone saw it and i was shamed so much. i feel like crying rn just thinking about it even though its been two years since its happened, it was horrible what i went through. i started harming myself and would have contemplated suicide if it wasnt for my religion.
Reply 4
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I've been threatened with having my nudes exposed. (I blocked and they never did :K:)

Original post by Anonymous
A topless image got sent out of me when i was in the first year of college by my ex.

I feel that this is, regrettably, common. Thank you both for sharing.

I will be writing a piece on this at some point, but everyone that uses the Internet should be aware that owning and distributing any form of 'nude' image of someone under the age of 18 is against the law, even if they are your partner. It constitutes possession of an indecent image of a child and is an offence under the Protection of Children Act 1978 and the Criminal Justice Act 1988. Sharing this image without the owner's permission gets you into even more trouble than you're already in.
Original post by Nirgilis
I should make the point that I was 18 at the time. I did not distribute any adult images of myself as a minor.

I will be writing a piece on this at some point, but everyone that uses the Internet should be aware that owning and distributing any form of 'nude' image of someone under the age of 18 is against the law, even if they are your partner. It constitutes possession of an indecent image of a child and is an offence under the Protection of Children Act 1978 and the Criminal Justice Act 1988. Sharing this image without the owner's permission gets you into even more trouble than you're already in.

yeah when the police got involved they knew that and they didnt do anything at all.
Reply 7
According to the legal definition I probably have been quite a lot; but I never really see it as cyber-bullying because I'm one of the ones who grew up in a generation where bullies could/would kick your ass, so I struggle to take it seriously online unless they know me IRL
Yes on runescape
Original post by Andy98
According to the legal definition I probably have been quite a lot; but I never really see it as cyber-bullying because I'm one of the ones who grew up in a generation where bullies could/would kick your ass, so I struggle to take it seriously online unless they know me IRL

Similar view here. When it was college people, I viewed it more seriously but I'm dismissive of the actions of strangers.
Cyberbullying can manifest itself in many forms, many of which people don't realise actually constitute this form of behaviour. These include, but are not limited to, Harassment, Spreading Rumours, Flaming, Impersonation, Breach of Privacy and Leaking Private Information, Cyber Stalking, Exclusion, Threatening Behaviour, Inappropriate Images, Blackmail, and Grooming.

Should people who haven't been bullied include their own views?

As for the response to that paragraph above, no. I don't know whether I should consider myself lucky or just because I act how I want to, even if it is something serious against me, I try to ignore this fact because I don't see any point in just 'plain text'. In fact, I believe people must have a motive in order to make someone listen to what the other person says (blackmailing in this case).

Well that's just my opinion, and no I haven't bullied anyone if you're curious.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I was bullied the whole way through primary school, then when I got to high school the bullying continued however at this point people had started to use good old MSN and the messages started coming through on there. I realise now that all of the things they made fun of me for they were just jealous about (I had boobs at a young age - now one of the bullies has gotten a boob job :p:p:tongue:)

At the time it was sad because it was actually my 'best friends' who were bullying me, I was one of those weak people who desperately tried to be best friends with my bullies, so luckily for me it all stopped when I decided screw them I'm making new friends.
Years ago (I'd have been around 13 or 14) I was on a pokemon forum. The forum was quite big and a forum user created a wiki about it (a wiki, not just a regular wikipedia page). I started looking on it and editing it occasionally. Someone then started editing it to make fun of and insult me, with a page about me. I kept editing it, but they kept putting it back. After a while I got wiki admins involved and they took down the page, but it kept reappearing.

I looked around the forum and managed to work out which forum user one of them was. Through that I worked out several others who were involved. Then they accused me of spying on them, because I'd looked at their (public) profiles and posts after getting suspicious and therefore seen them talking about it. It got worse and they would carry it over to the forum itself.

After a while it died down of its own accord, and the entire wiki ended up being deleted I think.
Yeah. I've had some sad women (yes, more than one) follow me around and spread some rumours about me. I remember years ago, PMing a mod (not here) about someone constantly following me around generally being a pain in the arse (she was also doing this to a lot of people) and she was told publicly to either grow up or she'll gert banned. She went rather quiet after that. I don't think many people actually liked here and secretly, I think a lot of people wanted her gone.

I've had things like being accused of lying about my disabilities, because apparently, I don't meet the stereotype (I know that, it's a spectrum FFS) and I should have informed everyone when I signed up. Ok, we'll completely ignore the fact that it can take some time to diagnose certain medical problems and of course, some people become disabled later in life.

I am also convinced that due to the lack of evidence they provided, it was someone online who grassed me up for benefit fraud last year.

Not really had a problem here though. When I first signed up under this name, (or rather, as OU Student) I did have someone call me a troll for having a different opinion. :s-smilie: Weird.
I don't believe in Cyber bullying.
Reply 15
Original post by Lemon Haze
I don't believe in Cyber bullying.

What do you mean? :holmes:
What do you mean? :holmes:

"Hahahahahahahaha How The **** Is Cyber Bullying Real Hahahaha ***** Just Walk Away From The Screen Like ***** Close Your Eyes Haha" - Famously tweeted by Tyler, The Creator, 2012.
When I was being catfished on facebook, the guy would often make up stories and threaten to kill me, just to scare me. He was constantly lying and cheating, but that was the purpose of his account - deception.
Reply 18
Suffered from fake Facebook profiles being made, people 'liking' Facebook pages which were aimed at me; Facebook posts being posted by one user onto another users wall which aimed at me and lastly people messaging others pretending to be me and sending some creepy stuff to them, so therefore in the belief it was me; cut me off. This wasn't surprising given some of the stuff someone sent to one of these individuals :/

It hurt more than the physical and emotional bullying in school and sixth-form as I thought 'home' would be a safe space and a space to get away from the things happening during the school day.
Not specifically but mostly just an extension of what went on at school and other places. In a way it was easier to ignore but then I'd always be asked why and whatever, also as someone else said at home I was trying to be away from it all. For a while I just didn't use it but then decided I'd rather know what was going on behind my back, on facebook at least. Nothing like as bad as some people here have said though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest