The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do in life?!!!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in but idk; I just really need advice.

So I'm currently in year 12 and it's coming to exam season/end of the academic year but I feel like I'm just stuck in a rut.

For the longest time I had my heart set on doing medicine but now all of a sudden, I'm starting to gear towards doing management (International Management to be precise) at uni.

I feel like the main reason why I wanted to be a doctor was because for money and stability; because for the majority of my life my parents drilled into my head that only medical/engineering careers were high paying. I am no longer as naive as I used to be and I know doing a medical degree does not guarentee either of those things.

I've been doing a bit of research and I've realised that medicine isn't for me. I am way more interested in business/management and other careers in that sector.

The problem is that I've just done so much for medicine. I've done a ton of experience, clubs, lectures/taster days all geared towards medicine. Literally everyone knows I want to do medicine, so for me to change my mind to something so different would just be.... odd. I feel like it would also show a lack of dedication to management if was to apply to universities to do that course.

I'm not sure what to do...

Sorry if this was rambly and hard to understand.
Reply 1
Follow your gut.
Reply 2
If you aren't feeling majorly up for medicine my advice would be don't do it, the process is horrible enough when you're amazingly up for the course, it's totally okay to change your mind, and your experiences will still give you applicable skills, so it wasn't a total waste. You really need to discuss the change of heart with your family as well, because ultimately it has to be for what you want, medicine is a hell of a long course and if after having looked into it you've realised it's not for you, do not commit yourself to those 5 years because the chances you will enjoy it sound not too great.
Also, it should be about you not what your friends want, come AS results day you'd be surprised how many people may adjust their idea of studying medicine anyway.
Good luck though I'm sure you'll do great whatever you pick
Reply 3
---
Reply 4
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in but idk; I just really need advice.

So I'm currently in year 12 and it's coming to exam season/end of the academic year but I feel like I'm just stuck in a rut.

For the longest time I had my heart set on doing medicine but now all of a sudden, I'm starting to gear towards doing management (International Management to be precise) at uni.

I feel like the main reason why I wanted to be a doctor was because for money and stability; because for the majority of my life my parents drilled into my head that only medical/engineering careers were high paying. I am no longer as naive as I used to be and I know doing a medical degree does not guarentee either of those things.

I've been doing a bit of research and I've realised that medicine isn't for me. I am way more interested in business/management and other careers in that sector.

The problem is that I've just done so much for medicine. I've done a ton of experience, clubs, lectures/taster days all geared towards medicine. Literally everyone knows I want to do medicine, so for me to change my mind to something so different would just be.... odd. I feel like it would also show a lack of dedication to management if was to apply to universities to do that course.

Go for management if that is what you'd prefer- Medicine is not something to do simply for the money. If you apply for management you wouldn't need to mention the medicine taster sessions e.c.t so universities will never know you considered something else.
Reply 6
what about management in medicine?
I wouldn't do something just for the money. Remember it is likely to be what you are doing for the rest of your life, so go with something you would enjoy
Reply 8
It's absolutely okay to do a complete 180 on a decision you were so firmly set on because we as people are constantly changing, so what you wanted at first might not be what you want later.

I'm sure that you can still use all of the experience and stuff that you've done in preparation for medicine and appropriate at least some of it for international management. I mean, transferable skills and things like that, right?

I'd also recommend talking to your career adviser at your college/sixth form for some guidance as to what you can do to better prepare yourself for such a drastic academic career change.

All in all, I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you do, OP. If you were intelligent enough to pursue medicine, I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you decide to do :h:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous

I'm year 13 and I feel the same tbh
Third year of uni here and I also have no idea what the heck I'm doing with my life.

I don't have any advice on figuring out what to do with your life. But I will tell you, don't let anyone bully or pressure you into doing what they want. You're the one who has to live your life, not your parents or your friends.
Original post by jelly1000
Go for management if that is what you'd prefer- Medicine is not something to do simply for the money. If you apply for management you wouldn't need to mention the medicine taster sessions e.c.t so universities will never know you considered something else.

Original post by CaptainWill98
I wouldn't do something just for the money. Remember it is likely to be what you are doing for the rest of your life, so go with something you would enjoy

Original post by markreed
It's absolutely okay to do a complete 180 on a decision you were so firmly set on because we as people are constantly changing, so what you wanted at first might not be what you want later.

I'm sure that you can still use all of the experience and stuff that you've done in preparation for medicine and appropriate at least some of it for international management. I mean, transferable skills and things like that, right?

I'd also recommend talking to your career adviser at your college/sixth form for some guidance as to what you can do to better prepare yourself for such a drastic academic career change.

All in all, I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you do, OP. If you were intelligent enough to pursue medicine, I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you decide to do :h:

Original post by SophieSmall
Third year of uni here and I also have no idea what the heck I'm doing with my life.

I don't have any advice on figuring out what to do with your life. But I will tell you, don't let anyone bully or pressure you into doing what they want. You're the one who has to live your life, not your parents or your friends.

Thank you all for your advice! Really appreciate it <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending