The Student Room Group

SHOULD I wear glasses full time or part time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kathy89
What's your prescription?

As a future optometrist I'll say there is no difference either way. No harm proven from not wearing glasses and from wearing them full time.
However, from my own experience, once you start wearing them full-time, you will find it harder and harder seeing without them on...

I've mine full time for at least a decade now, but I can still when I take them off to swim or something. I'd even say it's easier now than before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Platopus
My optician told me that if I didn't wear my glasses full time my eyes would deteriorate. Did I listen? Of course not. Did they deteriorate? Oh boy, yes. I really regret it now...

He told me it would make no difference
Original post by Anonbabes
He told me it would make no difference

It depends on how bad your eyesight is. My eyes are really bad so if I don't wear glasses I have to constantly strain my eye muscles by squinting which apparently makes my sight deteriorate. And actually, probably gives me wrinkles too! I've been told this by two opticians now. I expect your eyesight isn't as bad as mine and if the optician told you it would make no difference for you personally then I'd believe them.
My schedule:

Contact lenses in when I go out, take them out when I get home as they get irritating after a while

Wear glasses intermittently at home depending on what I'm doing, as I need them for watching TV etc. but I take them off when I'm on my PC as I can see it clearly without them and it strains my eyes otherwise.
Original post by aamirac
Well when do you see yourself wearing them.
If you wear them all the time unnecessarily your eyes can get used to it and you'll find that your eyesight can worsen.

Wearing glasses does not make your eyesight worse; that is nonsense.
What is happening with young people who start to wear spectacles is that they get headaches, caused by their eye muscles having difficulty adjusting to their short or long sight (which may have been there, unnoticed for years). The muscles start to lose their flexibility at the end of a person's teenage years, and this lost flexibility leads to the headaches, which lead to a trip to the optician and a realisation that there is a sight problem.

The prescription needed will vary over time, sometimes getting lower, sometimes getting higher, but all now being noticed and thought of as worse, with the wearing of glasses wrongly being blamed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
I've mine full time for at least a decade now, but I can still when I take them off to swim or something. I'd even say it's easier now than before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you far-sighted by any chance?
Reply 26
Original post by Kathy89
Are you far-sighted by any chance?

I don't know to be honest; just blind as a bat :tongue:
Reply 27
I am near sighted and can't see far bit I wear mine only when I am going to read something far away. This is because when I wear them often, my eyes get blurry even on near distance. But when I get my eyes checked, it is still the same.
The reason for being short or long sighted is simply to do with the physical distance between the lens of the eye and the retina/macula. The reasons why the length isnt optimal are a whole other story but once you are i that position i cant see how wearing on not wearing specs will worsen your eyes unless perhaps if you only have a very very low degree of correction an you wear specs, it makes your eye muscles lazy whereas if you dont, your eye will fight to try and correct the shortfall? im probably talking rubbish,,its just a theory..

Another point, if someone has perfect sight, is their eyeball perfectly spherical? How much does the distance between lens and retina/macula have to increase before you are aware of myopia? Whats the scale ofi t? Is it 1mm/5mm/ ?? What is the excess length from perfect vision per dioptre of myopia? or isnt it as simple as that?
Original post by Limpopo
The reason for being short or long sighted is simply to do with the physical distance between the lens of the eye and the retina/macula. The reasons why the length isnt optimal are a whole other story but once you are i that position i cant see how wearing on not wearing specs will worsen your eyes unless perhaps if you only have a very very low degree of correction an you wear specs, it makes your eye muscles lazy whereas if you dont, your eye will fight to try and correct the shortfall? im probably talking rubbish,,its just a theory..

Another point, if someone has perfect sight, is their eyeball perfectly spherical? How much does the distance between lens and retina/macula have to increase before you are aware of myopia? Whats the scale ofi t? Is it 1mm/5mm/ ?? What is the excess length from perfect vision per dioptre of myopia? or isnt it as simple as that?

Eyesight is not only about shape of eye parts. It is long and complicated to explain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending