The Student Room Group

Why is student satisfaction at KCL so low? American studying law

Hi,

This is my first real post so sorry if I'm doing something wrong here.
I applied to KCL and have received an unconditional offer, I was pretty psyched because KCL is known even to Americans, probably the only school outside Oxbridge that has name recognition to us. Got into Durham too but idk if I can afford that...living fees are too high (I can live at home in London, parents live there, or maybe get the Dickson Poon scholarship.)

Does anybody know why their student satisfaction is so incredibly low? Makes me a little nervous

Also any tips for this clueless American? I've been at an American Uni, Colgate University, for two years now and it seems like everything is different...
Original post by Fruppert
Hi,

This is my first real post so sorry if I'm doing something wrong here.
I applied to KCL and have received an unconditional offer, I was pretty psyched because KCL is known even to Americans, probably the only school outside Oxbridge that has name recognition to us. Got into Durham too but idk if I can afford that...living fees are too high (I can live at home in London, parents live there, or maybe get the Dickson Poon scholarship.)

Does anybody know why their student satisfaction is so incredibly low? Makes me a little nervous

Also any tips for this clueless American? I've been at an American Uni, Colgate University, for two years now and it seems like everything is different...

I had a mate that went to KCL and absolutely loved it. Is student satisfaction low across the board or just for your course? Some courses only have a sample size of 10 people which as you can imagine a few malcontents can wildly skew the results.

Congratulations on getting into Durham. That's where I'm headed to do Comp Sci as a mature student next year.

Also, you may have heard of KCL in the states but I would say Durham is more prestigious than KCL in the UK. It certainly outranks it in in the league tables 23 vs 5th. Americans have only heard of KCL because they only know one UK city! ;-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom

Don't be put off by the high price of Durham's accommodation fees, it's only for your first year where you live in college. Most 2nd years live out. I'll be living out right from the start.
Durham is actually the UK's best value for money university. http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/durham-university-named-best-value-for-students-according-to-moneysupermarket-research-10499673.html

That said, the advantages of living at home at numerous if you want to live at home during uni!

Best of luck in your decision. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat some more.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending