The Student Room Group

Why is there more pressure on women to lose weight than men, it goes against biology?

It seems that women are under more pressure by society to look slim than men are. I know several people who will comment at a woman in the street who is too overweight or a 'fat cow' yet they turn a blind eye to overweight beer bellied men at the pub. I saw that singer jai waetford on tv he looks overweight yet no one seems to comment on it but when that lil mix singer (is it jesi) was overweight she was called all the time via social media.

I know there are unfair standards for different characteristics for both men and women so im not arguing that it is unfair. Its just in this case i would have thought that, with women being the ones to naturally store more fat than men and men being naturally more muscular/lower fat levels, that social pressure would follow biological expectations and place more pressure on men to lose weight so that they appear fit/sble to protect.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone who calls someone in public a fat cow has bigger problems than weight.
Women are judged more on their looks, men more on their jobs. Women are the most citical about other women.
yes women are more biologically tuned to store fat usually in breasts and hip (obviously thighs and arms too)
but if a women has alot of belly fat that is just unhealthy, high W:h: is unhealthy, only then does someone really look fat.
I think men are judged on looks, too. They're judged for strength, height, etc. Women are not judged on height, like men are...
Personally, I don't think anyone should be "pressured" into losing weight - it's their decision. Why more women are pressured at the moment, I do not know.
Reply 6
Original post by *Deidre*
I think men are judged on looks, too. They're judged for strength, height, etc. Women are not judged on height, like men are...

Tall girls are too men what short guys are too women. Superficial looks judgement is not a distinction of either gender and neither is anything these days, supposingly traditional feminine things like gossip are even worse among men than women.
Reply 7
Cause instead men are pressured into the idea they must be muscular and ripped to be attractive.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
It seems that women are under more pressure by society to look slim than men are. I know several people who will comment at a woman in the street who is too overweight or a 'fat cow' yet they turn a blind eye to overweight beer bellied men at the pub. I saw that singer jai waetford on tv he looks overweight yet no one seems to comment on it but when that lil mix singer (is it jesi) was overweight she was called all the time via social media.

I know there are unfair standards for different characteristics for both men and women so im not arguing that it is unfair. Its just in this case i would have thought that, with women being the ones to naturally store more fat than men and men being naturally more muscular/lower fat levels, that social pressure would follow biological expectations and place more pressure on men to lose weight so that they appear fit/sble to protect.

Because that's the only pressure women have, to look good outside all the other daily stuff. Men have more pressure when it comes to social interaction with women such as having a good bank account so it's not much if a men expects his woman to look good.

To be honest though this pressure to be good looking does not really come from men but from other women and the beauty magazines which you women purchase. Believe me when I say that men love curvy women, not fat women but curvy women , we don't all want thin women. Many men can enjoy women in a variety of figures , only the media gives you less then a varied portrayal of female beauty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
Because that's the only pressure women have, to look good outside all the other daily stuff. Men have more pressure when it comes to social interaction with women such as having a good bank account so it's not much if a men expects his woman to look good.

To be honest though this pressure to be good looking does not really come from men but from other women and the beauty magazines which you women purchase. Believe me when I say that men love curvy women, not fat women but curvy women , we don't all want thin women. Many men can enjoy women in a variety of figures , only the media gives you less then a varied portrayal of female beauty.

So all you want from a woman is for her to look good :s-smilie:?
Reply 10
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
So all you want from a woman is for her to look good :s-smilie:?

Not sure how you read that from my words? sounds like you are reading what you want out of it.

I would say though in answer to your question what a men notices first about a woman is her looks and this is something you will just have to get over.
Original post by Mancini
Not sure how you read that from my words? sounds like you are reading what you want out of it.

I would say though in answer to your question what a men notices first about a woman is her looks and this is something you will just have to get over.

Okay. I was just kind of confused :colondollar:
Because a woman's social capital is inherently linked to her worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Okay. I was just kind of confused :colondollar:

My words seem to have this effect on some members of the female sex, it's alright. :smile:
Original post by Mancini

well yea we all have to get over it as we all notice someone's looks and are judged on these before anything else.
Women naturally have a higher body fat % yes, but that in no way relates to being fat or overweight. I don't think fat women should be ostracised, but I equally don't think an overweight woman should be condoned because it's biology.

It isn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
Tall girls are too men what short guys are too women. Superficial looks judgement is not a distinction of either gender and neither is anything these days, supposingly traditional feminine things like gossip are even worse among men than women.

I don't think so, from what I've seen men like a tall woman as long as she isn't taller than him. Whereas a guy can be taller than the woman, but still deemed too short, if he's like 5 foot 6.
Original post by Anonymous

again it's all what society implants in our minds...
Original post by *Deidre*

ngl I am judged on height. Often being called 'too tall'

someone literally tells me everyday that I 'block out the sun'

sure it's just banter but there's truth to the prejudice against tall girls *shrug*
Ofc men are judged on looks as wel, but primarily success , wealth and power can bypass looks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending