The Student Room Group

Corbyn ally says should have "cups of tea" with ISIS not airstrikes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12199570/British-soldiers-should-have-cups-of-tea-with-Islamic-State-terrorists-says-Jeremy-Corbyn-ally.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Unless she's referring to teabagging in the Urban Dictionary sense (and even that would be a bit weird)

Britain would be safer if its defence policy was to have “cups of tea” with Isilterrorists rather than bomb them, one of Jeremy Corbyn’s key allies on Labour’s ruling body has said.Christine Shawcroft, who sits on the party's National Executive Committee and is a senior figure in Momentum, said that soldiers should “get the teabags out” to solve the Syrian crisis rather than resorting to air strikes.

This comment is probably the worst

She claimed: “Cups of tea might actually be the best kind of system of defence and national security that you could have.”

Where on earth do they find these people?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well, if the two sides in any conflict could sit down and have a discussion over how to sort out the cause for the conflict, that would be better than bombing. Violence is an endless circle.

Violence may seem to have solved things but it doesn't. It just leads to more hate and violence.
Imagine people are actually left wing.
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Well, if the two sides in any conflict could sit down and have a discussion over how to sort out the cause for the conflict, that would be better than bombing.

Has it occurred to you that maybe ISIS isn't interested in discussion? That it would be a grave immorality in any case to let them get away with the crimes they've already committed?

Cutting a deal with ISIS would mean leaving them in charge of all the territory they currently control, and allowing them immunity from any kind of comeback or prosecution for the genocides, the mass rapes, the enslavements and the rest. And you would be condemning the millions of innocent people who live in ISIS-controlled areas to live under their boot permanently.

Pacifists pretend to exist on some kind of moral plane, but you are actually saying you are okay with thousands of people being murdered, raped and enslaved by ISIS just so we can have some kind of semblance of peace (not actual peace for those who live under the ISIS yoke)
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Corbyn informed me that if you are not nicer to him and his allies, he'll report you for being a dupe of @MostUnciviIised, @RegencyTwink, @LeoAngliae (or whatever you decided to call yourself in the past).

Oh no, what shall I do? It will take me a whole 30 seconds to create a new account.

It is hilarious to see how butthurt you are over me bringing up things that Corbynites have said :wink:
Only way you can really defend that is if it was a sort of joke saying that doing nothing is better than randomly bombing.

Left wing people in this countries went over to Spain to fight Franco not have cups of tea with him :facepalm:

It's defiantly in the realm of when pacifism starts to end up essentially supporting monsters like ISIS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Has it occurred to you that maybe ISIS isn't interested in discussion? That it would be a grave immorality in any case to let them get away with the crimes they've already committed?

Cutting a deal with ISIS would mean leaving them in charge of all the territory they currently control, and allowing them immunity from any kind of comeback or prosecution for the genocides, the mass rapes, the enslavements and the rest. And you would be condemning the millions of innocent people who live in ISIS-controlled areas to live under their boot permanently.

Pacifists pretend to exist on some kind of moral plane, but you are actually saying you are okay with thousands of people being murdered, raped and enslaved by ISIS just so we can have some kind of semblance of peace (not actual peace for those who live under the ISIS yoke)

No, I am not okay with what ISIS have done. I said "could" in a hypothetical way. Some groups, such as ISIS, are so far gone into violence that there really is no way a discussion is doable. However, every side claims innocent lives. Like I said. Violence is an endless cycle that just causes more hate.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Only way you can really defend that is if it was a sort of joke saying that doing nothing is better than randomly bombing.

We're not randomly bombing, though, are we?
We're not randomly bombing, though, are we?

Doesn't matter. I'm talking about the context of the statement.
It had better be @acupofgreentea :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Doesn't matter. I'm talking about the context of the statement.

The context of the statement is that this numpty said that British soldiers should have a cup of tea with ISIS rather than fight them. I'm not sure how a non-existent random bombing campaign that hasn't happened or been proposed has any relevance here
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Corbyn informed me that if you are not nicer to him and his allies, he'll report you for being a dupe of @MostUnciviIised, @RegencyTwink, @LeoAngliae (or whatever you decided to call yourself in the past)

By the way, I can understand why you are genuinely startled and upset whenever you see me on here. This website is your life, and no matter how much you stamp your little foot and wave your tiny little fist, I can walk back on here whenever I like. I can understand how seeing someone break the rules of what is your life would leave you flustered and shaken.

If you would like to offer a defence of your Corbynite ally, though, I'm willing to stick around for a giggle
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Well, if the two sides in any conflict could sit down and have a discussion over how to sort out the cause for the conflict, that would be better than bombing. Violence is an endless circle.

Violence may seem to have solved things but it doesn't. It just leads to more hate and violence.

This will only work if the conflict is not belief based, with ISIS it is belief based they want to make society into a big Worldwide Caliphate and Europe doesn't want to become an extremist Muslim dictatorship and ISIS believe that places that are not ruled by them should be bombed.

Worldwide Caliphate- "As a universal religion, Islam envisages a global political order in which all humankind will live under Muslim rule as either believers or subject communities. In order to achieve this goal it is incumbent on all free, male, adult Muslims to carry out an uncompromising struggle "in the path of Allah," or jihad. This in turn makes those parts of the world that have not yet been conquered by the House of Islam an abode of permanent conflict (Dar al-Harb, the house of War) which will only end with Islam's eventual triumph."

Understand why War is the only way to stop ISIS?I do believe there is hope for a peaceful solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict as thats more of a economic/deprivation based conflict but ISIS are not the type of people to surrender or sit for cups of tea until extremist Islam takes over the world.

It is very hard to change people's beliefs especially when they are utterly convinced that they are right and had these beliefs due to indoctrination from childhood.

If we were to just completely surrender to ISIS across the world then there would be no more violence or death due to them and then no innocent civilian deaths due to ISIS or countries that are fighting ISIS sounds like a good idea doesn't it?No and this is exactly why innocent civilian deaths are simply a price that must be paid to defeat ISIS, it is the consequence that must be paid to stop their oppression of Syria and Iraq and mass killings that won't stop until they are defeated.

This is why innocent civilian arguments are generally poor arguments when talking about war ISIS will kill lots of civilians and oppress and control them if we do nothing so innocent civilians are dying either way.The morality of war works on a long term scale with ISIS defeated then humans can be free from their killings and oppression saving lots of deaths and giving people human rights, we should never stop in the fight for human rights.

Corbyn probably wouldn't have went to war with Germany or dropped the nuclear bombs on Japan(which would have saved more lives than a full scale war and also would have a much bigger economic impact).Cameron understands that sometimes hard decisions have to be made.Although, right wingers are wrong about Trident which is just a deterrent we won't use and if we do then a nuclear war would cause massive amounts of damage and kill billions of people.
(edited 8 years ago)
If the ISIS cups are laced with cyanide then I approve of this plan.
I'm not sure how a non-existent random bombing campaign that hasn't happened or been proposed has any relevance here

Where have you been?
The EDL are racist thugs, but they're not quite at the beheading-aid-workers level...
If you actually read what she said and not what a right wing newspaper said she said, it's quite clear her comments were in jest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is being lobotomised a pre-requisit to be a Corbyn ally?
Reply 18
What

I don't even

What
Original post by Dalek1099
x

Oh damn, you're back.

Where've you been.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending