The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As picked up on MOTD, Lingard is the type of player I want us to be using in the number 10 role. So much energy and industry and it certainly helped with the transition from defence to attack. He had the pace and the ability to carry the ball forward and beyond the opposition players and therefore created more space for his team mates. Also, his running from the deep and running behind the opponent's defence was great.

As much stick van Gaal gets for doing crazy ****, credit to him for playing Lingard in the number 10 role and getting it spot on.

As DB has said, expect Fellani to return the next match.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pereira can do that and better!!!
Original post by Dirtybit

Cmon now, we both know Pereira does not exist at our club. He's a myth.

On a serious note, can't believe he's not even been given a chance at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It's 2016 and people still care about what order teams appear on MOTD?

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone said this about James Wilson last year and where is he now? Struggling to displace Bobby Zamora from the Brighton team and throwing up on the pitch. The fact LVG has given every other youth player a chance suggests something is up.

On a related note I really don't see what the point of recalling Januzaj was.
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ikr out of all the youth he hasn't been given a proper chance despite the fact that he won best reserve team player last year :frown:
Reply 6785

Don't trust you, it's not like you have pereira as your dp
Original post by xKay
Don't trust you, it's not like you have pereira as your dp

But I have him as my wallpaper is that good enough?
Original post by sr90

Everyone said this about James Wilson last year and where is he now? Struggling to displace Bobby Zamora from the Brighton team and throwing up on the pitch. The fact LVG has given every other youth player a chance suggests something is up.

James Wilson is clearly talented and he would have offered us the same threat that Rashford has given since being introduced to the first team imo. Wilson offers direct running with ball, pace to burn and has a great shot on him. He was unfairly loaned out tbh but maybe van Gaal doesn't like his attitude or felt he wouldn't get game time at United? I think its the latter since maybe van Gaal thought Rooney wouldn't be injured or be injured and remain on the sidelines for a long period of time.

EDIT: Must admit I haven't been following his loan spell at Brighton so not sure how he's getting on. You've mentioned he can't displace Zamora but Zamora is a seasoned veteran and Brighton seem to be flying in the league having just seen their recent league position. I just feel his loan spell at Brighton won't bring him any benefits and maybe would have been best served staying at United especially if you're saying he's barely getting any game time.

Its going to be emotional when Rooney just walks back into the side and replaces Rashford who certainly deserves to start against Everton after the international break.

Ikr out of all the youth he hasn't been given a proper chance despite the fact that he won best reserve team player last year :frown:

Its just so hard to even understand that he's not even barely getting a look in. You just have to watch the U21s to see he's way above that standard and should be getting some minutes on the field. However, i can understand van Gaal's reluctance to change things (apart from his love in with Fellani ffs) since we need results and it'll be unfair to heap pressure on his young shoulders by bringing him on from the bench when we're struggling and playing poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Its just so hard to even understand that he's not even barely getting a look in. You just have to watch the U21s to see he's way above that standard and should be getting some minutes on the field. However, i can understand van Gaal's reluctance to change things (apart from his love in with Fellani ffs) since we need results and it'll be unfair to heap pressure on his young shoulders by bringing him on from the bench when we're struggling and playing poor.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Read some news like a week ago about Pereira and Januzaj. Apparently they pissed LVG off by not taking an U21 match seriously due to their eagerness to play first team football and he's isolated them out to teach them a lesson because of that. Pretty much similar situation that happened with Valdes but obviously on a lesser extent since they didn't refuse to play. He's probably still trying to build back things back with LVG otherwise he'd have started the game that Mata missed when he got a red card as you must have noticed he was included on the bench all season until like a month ago. It's definitely not a "he's not ready" kind of thing but rather a punishment for not obeying instructions.
Lol yet Van Gaal was willing to use Rashford and look at how that is paying off dividends.

Van Gaal is a master when it comes to utilising youth players, he is easily the best in that in the league.
Read some news like a week ago about Pereira and Januzaj. Apparently they pissed LVG off by not taking an U21 match seriously due to their eagerness to play first team football and he's isolated them out to teach them a lesson because of that. Pretty much similar situation that happened with Valdes but obviously on a lesser extent since they didn't refuse to play. He's probably still trying to build back things back with LVG otherwise he'd have started the game that Mata missed when he got a red card as you must have noticed he was included on the bench all season until like a month ago. It's definitely not a "he's not ready" kind of thing but rather a punishment for not obeying instructions.

Damn didn't know that so I guess its more of an attitude issue. van Gaal will be gone this summer so hopefully Mourinho tries utilising Pereira maybe? Doesn't help with Mourinho reluctance against using youth players tho :/

Original post by jam277
Lol yet Van Gaal was willing to use Rashford and look at how that is paying off dividends.

Van Gaal is a master when it comes to utilising youth players, he is easily the best in that in the league.

Rashford was given a debut due to Rooney being out injured. van Gaal was forced into a change and decided to play him up top so don't know how much credit should be given to van Gaal. Fair play that he played Rashford up front instead of Martial against Midgetland and has stuck with Rashford but with Memphis not being consistent Martial is our best option on the left and Rashford is then our only available option for the striker position.

However, I do fully agree that van Gaal seems to be good at bringing young players through. I guess the only positive with van Gaal the past 2 seasons in charge of United is his willingness to give youth players a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn didn't know that so I guess its more of an attitude issue. van Gaal will be gone this summer so hopefully Mourinho tries utilising Pereira maybe? Doesn't help with Mourinho reluctance against using youth players tho :/

Rashford was given a debut due to Rooney being out injured. van Gaal was forced into a change and decided to play him up top so don't know how much credit should be given to van Gaal. Fair play that he played Rashford up front instead of Martial against Midgetland and has stuck with Rashford but with Memphis not being consistent Martial is our best option on the left and Rashford is then our only available option for the striker position.

However, I do fully agree that van Gaal seems to be good at bringing young players through. I guess the only positive with van Gaal the past 2 seasons in charge of United is his willingness to give youth players a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Circumstances may have dictated it, but you now have a solid squad player in Jesse Lingard and a potential top PL level striker in Rashford. He's also reinvented Chris Smalling.

The issue is some of his questionable team selections and the insipid style of football you play.

Anyway you're coming 4th.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Circumstances may have dictated it, but you now have a solid squad player in Jesse Lingard and a potential top PL level striker in Rashford. He's also reinvented Chris Smalling.

The issue is some of his questionable team selections and the insipid style of football you play.

Anyway you're coming 4th.

Well I can't help but agree that he's certainly helped improve Smalling.

Yeah almost 2 seasons of learning his possession based style of football and it still feels like if our defence comes under a bit of pressure, we crumble with the ball at our feet and lack composure. Also, I hate how we always seem to sit back when winning especially around the 70th minute mark where we just sit off and try holding our lead by inviting more pressure onto our defence. We have such a **** mentality when it comes to seeing out games through conceding late goals, I mean we spend 2 seasons learning to keep possession but fail to use it when trying to see out a game.

Jam man some of your predictions are dodgy but a win today has certainly boosted our chance of a 4th place finish. However, we always take 1 step forward and billion steps backwards and its certainly been that case this season. Expect us to draw/loss to Everton in our next match.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

WTF does the year being 2016 as opposed to 2015 have to do with anything?
Good to see jam's LVG and anti Mourinho agenda coming along smoothly
Well I can't help but agree that he's certainly helped improve Smalling.

Yeah almost 2 seasons of learning his possession based style of football and it still feels like if our defence comes under a bit of pressure, we crumble with the ball at our feet and lack composure. Also, I hate how we always seem to sit back when winning especially around the 70th minute mark where we just sit off and try holding our lead by inviting more pressure onto our defence. We have such a **** mentality when it comes to seeing out games through conceding late goals, I mean we spend 2 seasons learning to keep possession but fail to use it when trying to see out a game.

Jam man some of your predictions are dodgy but a win today has certainly boosted our chance of a 4th place finish. However, we always take 1 step forward and billion steps backwards and its certainly been that case this season. Expect us to draw/loss to Everton in our next match.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Issue is that people just sit back and get their defence organised against United. But when they are a goal down are more likely to press for the ball which your players are not comfortable with facing.

I always felt City would struggle to get 4th this season as I felt United would improve and that Chelsea would stay the same. To see City's season dwindle like this is not surprising, just that the teams that are above them is what is really surprising.
Good to see jam's LVG and anti Mourinho agenda coming along smoothly

Except for the fact that I ideally would have sacked LVG earlier in the season and tried to go for e.g. Conte or Tuchel.
Original post by jam277
Except for the fact that I ideally would have sacked LVG earlier in the season and tried to go for e.g. Conte or Tuchel.

You would have gone for Thomas Tuchel when he was only about half way through his first season as a manager at a top club? Hard to believe.
Original post by jam277
Issue is that people just sit back and get their defence organised against United. But when they are a goal down are more likely to press for the ball which your players are not comfortable with facing.

I always felt City would struggle to get 4th this season as I felt United would improve and that Chelsea would stay the same. To see City's season dwindle like this is not surprising, just that the teams that are above them is what is really surprising.

Yeah that's a great point. It was evidently seen throughout the entire game against Liverpool at Anfield. We could not live with the relentless pressing from Liverpool and struggled to pass the ball with composure. We struggle under any sort of pressure and more often than not, crumble.

City made a big mistake by announcing before the season has even concluded that Pep was going to be their manager. It almost feels like the players aren't even putting much of an effort in, in the league and have almost given up or have given up on the title. Only player who seems to be even remotely trying has been Aguero. However, City's form even before the Pep announcement was a bit dodgy. They've failed to win consecutive PL matches since god knows when in the league iirc and have been really inconsistent on a whole this season. I hope City finish outside the top 4, would be hilarious to see Pep swap Bayern (and the CL) for City and the Europa League.

West Ham are having a great season and if not United in 4th, I'd love for them to get it. It would be amazing that they finish in the top 4 and bring CL football to their new home, the Olympic Stadium, in their first season there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Martial was injured as well, meaning Rashford or another youth was the only option

Latest