The Student Room Group

Economics (and maths) or Medicine

Thanks for helping me out guys! I'm going to follow my dreams and go for economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheLeo
First and foremost thank you for taking the time to view this post and help me; sorry if this is the wrong time or place to be asking this but I thought it would be suitable because I didn't want to bias the opinions by posting in a sub-forum as one of them is a social science and the other a natural, also many of you will have finished your applications recently and have had to make similar decisions between subjects. TL;DR? Help me! :biggrin:

BACKGROUND:
. Year 12 (AS-Year)
(I)GCSE: 10 A* 3A and A at FSMQ, A's not in relevant subjects
Doing Linear A-Levels: Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, (Additional Further Mathematics), (Chinese) (not continuing bracketed to A2, just AS).
After coming top in year across all subjects except chemistry in March exam predicted 5A* at A2-Level (taking maths classes with A2 students) (All A*s)
. Applying to competitive universities (e.g. Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL) (NB. I said competitive not good because imo most if not all unis in the UK are good eg. Cardiff is good if not overly competitive)
. Already acquired work experience for Med
. Already done relevant reading for Econ

Dilemma and Factors: Can't choose between economics (with maths) and medicine
. I find economics more interesting, but am interested in both as a subject
. Discouraged by lack of maths in medicine (I <3 maths, ik I'm weird :s-smilie:)
. Parents want me to do medicine, medicine background IE family Generations of doctors
. Ability to do either
. Not much satisfaction from curing others, more interested in the science and mechanisms (ik I'm a horrible person :frown:)
. Wages and working conditions/hours are a factor, looking at higher end jobs with both

Please give me some insight and your opinions! Feel free to ask for more info.

Are you not doing biology? As far as i know you d need that for medicine?
As far as i can see, it seems that economics is something you are more interested in
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Are you not doing biology? As far as i know you d need that for medicine?
As far as i can see, it seems that economics is something you are more interested in

"Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level."

That was what I thought too, however it seems that it's no longer the case perhaps because they would have to reteach you all the stuff you learn in biology anyway but in more detail.

Certainly agree that I have more interest in economics, however given that my parents want me to do medicine and career prospects maybe they outweight the utility that I gain.

Would it be possible to do graduate medicine with an economics degree or maths master? Probably be impossible to do a joint degree in economics and medicine :tongue:
Original post by TheLeo
First and foremost thank you for taking the time to view this post and help me; sorry if this is the wrong time or place to be asking this but I thought it would be suitable because I didn't want to bias the opinions by posting in a sub-forum as one of them is a social science and the other a natural, also many of you will have finished your applications recently and have had to make similar decisions between subjects. TL;DR? Help me! :biggrin:

BACKGROUND:
. Year 12 (AS-Year)
Doing Linear A-Levels: Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, (Additional Further Mathematics), (Chinese) (not continuing bracketed to A2, just AS).
After coming top in year across all subjects except chemistry in March exam predicted 5A* at A2-Level (taking maths classes with A2 students) (All A*s)
. Applying to competitive universities (e.g. Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL) (NB. I said competitive not good because imo most if not all unis in the UK are good eg. Cardiff is good if not overly competitive)

. Discouraged by lack of maths in medicine (I <3 maths, ik I'm weird :s-smilie:)
. Parents want me to do medicine, medicine background IE family Generations of doctors
. Ability to do either
. Not much satisfaction from curing others, more interested in the science and mechanisms (ik I'm a horrible person :frown:)
. Wages and working conditions/hours are a factor, looking at higher end jobs with both

Despite your excellent achievements there is no guarantee you will get into these universities so you will need a couple of others in case of rejection. Not taking Biology will rule you out of most medicine courses so economics or maths would be your better option. Most unis make offers on 3 or maximum 4 A levels and you might be better advised concentrating on 3 A levels and from what you state you would be best advised to take Economics, Maths and Further Maths as these are what top unis want for Economics. I quote what was said by admissions tutor at Durham during an open day. We are not interested in people with 6 A levels. Our concern is the results people get in 3 A levels and that appropriate subjects are taken. You are more likely to get into these unis with A*A*A* than AAAAA.so take action to ensure you get the best possible grades in these subjects
Original post by TheLeo
"Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level."

That was what I thought too, however it seems that it's no longer the case perhaps because they would have to reteach you all the stuff you learn in biology anyway but in more detail.

Certainly agree that I have more interest in economics, however given that my parents want me to do medicine and career prospects maybe they outweight the utility that I gain.

Would it be possible to do graduate medicine with an economics degree or maths master? Probably be impossible to do a joint degree in economics and medicine :tongue:

All of the medicine students I know did biology and I recon you will have written off many universities given you dont have it. You shouldn't do what your parents tell you to do, you should do what you want to do. I don't think its easy to do graduate entry medicine with an arts degree but i dont know if its impossible, although i ve heard funding for GEM isnt too good so that would be a pretty risky plan.
Biology is nowhere near as important as chemistry. According to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement the OP won't be able to apply to several medical schools, but will still have a fair degree of choice should they go down that route.
Original post by ageshallnot
Biology is nowhere near as important as chemistry. According to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement the OP won't be able to apply to several medical schools, but will still have a fair degree of choice should they go down that route.

Imperial, UCL and Kings all require both Chemistry and Biology and LSE don't do Medicine so the only option left is Cambridge for Medicine out of those stated.
Original post by swanseajack1
Imperial, UCL and Kings all require both Chemistry and Biology and LSE don't do Medicine so the only option left is Cambridge for Medicine out of those stated.

It was perfectly clear that the OP was only using the five listed as examples of competitive universities. The inclusion of LSE shows that their mind is tending towards Economics. I was merely showing the OP that it is possible to put together a decent slate of choices for Medicine without Biology (eg Cambridge or Oxford, Bristol, Edinburgh, Leeds, Sheffield etc). It is up to them whether they want to pursue this line.
Original post by TheLeo

BACKGROUND:
. Year 12 (AS-Year)

. Ability to do either

It doesn't come across as if you are even vaguely interested in medicine, tbh, and admissions tutors will almost certainly detect that, so do what you really want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending