The Student Room Group

What is RAM ....

Scroll to see replies

Could have saved yourself a lot of time and used google. Tip for the future.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
RAM is a type of memory that is like a temporary storage for your computer's processor (the brain) to "think". When the computer is turned off it all disappears. The more RAM you have the faster your PC can run things. If you had 2GB of RAM that software would run more slowly or not at all.

Really?

I didn't know about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Really?

I didn't know about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not really true. Computer speed is limited by many factors and more RAM only means you'll be able to run more things at the same time. For a normal laptop 8GB is overkill and 4 is fine.
Original post by WinterDucky
That's not really true. Computer speed is limited by many factors and more RAM only means you'll be able to run more things at the same time. For a normal laptop 8GB is overkill and 4 is fine.

Yeah there are other factors but try running a Crisis on 512mb of RAM :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Bigdobber
Larger isn't always better,it's how you use it

:facepalm:
Original post by Andy98
RAM is kinda like your laptop's short term memory. In this case it means that the laptop would handle the programme that needs 1GB with no problem. It will struggle to run the two programmes at the same time - I personally would recommend a laptop with 8GB RAM.

*program
Reply 26
Original post by morgan8002
*program

Thought so, but I saw OP had used programme :colondollar:
Original post by WinterDucky

You're right.

More RAM doesn't mean your computer is faster (this is a common misconception) . It means that you will be able to run more programs at the same time (or use more memory intensive programs like perhaps Premiere, AE, and Maya) before your computer begins using virtual memory from the storage drive, which is actually what causes the slowdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's what I do to @Reeeeyah every weekend :mmm:
Reply 29
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's what I do to @Reeeeyah every weekend :mmm:

Yeah yeah:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what she says :rofl:
RAM is a type of memory that is like a temporary storage for your computer's processor (the brain) to "think". When the computer is turned off it all disappears. The more RAM you have the faster your PC can run things. If you had 2GB of RAM that software would run more slowly or not at all.

I think you are confusing it with hard drive memory or some other form of permanent storage. That's the space that gets used up permanently when you install new software.

Not really mate, I mean if all your memory is being used then that will inevitably slow things down but generally, if you're currently using 3GB worth of memory and had 4GB of RAM, increasing the RAM to 8 or even 16GB isn't going to increase performance. Similar to how a dual core processor won't automatically outperform a quad core processor like some people think it would, it just has more cores to better deal with more processes - if you were only running one major process then the performance difference between a dual and quad core of the same speeds and similar infrastructure would be negligible.

The speed and infrastructure of your processor as well as the type of storage drive your OS and programs are on (an SSD for example will greatly outperform a standard HDD for anyone wondering what I mean by this) are ultimately the main difference makers in general performance, though of course a lot of people tend to multitask these days so it's nice to have the extra ram and cores. 8GB of RAM is more than enough for most people, though, and they could do just fine with 4GB.
Not really mate, I mean if all your memory is being used then that will inevitably slow things down but generally, if you're currently using 3GB worth of memory and had 4GB of RAM, increasing the RAM to 8 or even 16GB isn't going to increase performance. Similar to how a dual core processor won't automatically outperform a quad core processor like some people think it would, it just has more cores to better deal with more processes - if you were only running one major process then the performance difference between a dual and quad core of the same speeds and similar infrastructure would be negligible.

The speed and infrastructure of your processor as well as the type of storage drive your OS and programs are on (an SSD for example will greatly outperform a standard HDD for anyone wondering what I mean by this) are ultimately the main difference makers in general performance, though of course a lot of people tend to multitask these days so it's nice to have the extra ram and cores. 8GB of RAM is more than enough for most people, though, and they could do just fine with 4GB.

Yes but the OP doesn't need as an in depth explanation as that. RAM is more of performance thing, it isn't where your programs are stored permanently, that's what I was trying to get across. It's all about bottle necks. You'd be an idiot to buy an uber Core i7 intesivly over clocked and only have 1GB of RAM. You could have a high end CPU but be relying on an inbuilt GPU. It isn't going to run intensive games.
Original post by maths_4_life
Oh ok so this step up with the two programmes on the 4gb ram lap top would be fine? And I could use them both at the same time if I wanted to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it will be absolutely fine. laptops are difficult to upgrade, but ram is he one easy thing. You can do it at a later date.
Yes but the OP doesn't need as an in depth explanation as that. RAM is more of performance thing, it isn't where your programs are stored permanently, that's what I was trying to get across. It's all about bottle necks. You'd be an idiot to buy an uber Core i7 intesivly over clocked and only have 1GB of RAM. You could have a high end CPU but be relying on an inbuilt GPU. It isn't going to run intensive games.

For sure, but your post came across like you were suggesting that more RAM = better performance, just felt the need to clarify things before the OP went out and got all the RAM she can get her hands on :rofl: :smile:
*program

This is the American spelling of programme

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. There are rare situations where British English inherits terms from American English.
Yep. There are rare situations where British English inherits terms from American English.

Ahhh ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Program is used in the terms of a computer application even in the Queen's English, programme is used in every other sense of the word :smile:
Program is used in the terms of a computer application even in the Queen's English, programme is used in every other sense of the word :smile:

Absolutely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending