The Student Room Group

why is it mainly powerlifters that cause such a ruckus in the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Complaining about this kind of noise in a gym is like going to a football match and complaining about people shouting and singing.
A gym is a communal space and I find this macho stuff rather obnoxious.

I, like most other brits, want to go to a communal place and politely pretend other people don't exist.

This is like a stranger having a conversation with me on the tube. Please. Be. Quiet.

SS
Original post by e aí rapaz
Complaining about this kind of noise in a gym is like going to a football match and complaining about people shouting and singing.

This pretty much

My gym currently enforces a zero tolerance on grunting and banging of weights on the ground

Brb putting my deadlift down as slow as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Having seen your vids I know believe you to be legit

Congrats you're the strongest guy on here :tongue:

/Sarcasm or legit saw the vids?
I'm alright with people making a bit of noise, but it's easy to tell the difference between genuine exertion and attention seeking wails of pseudo-effort.
Original post by WoodyMKC
/Sarcasm or legit saw the vids?

Legit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jeez. I normally don't give a toss how much people can lift but even I'm impressed :lol:
Pretty much it takes a certain level of emotional arousal to hit limit lifts at 300kg+ (or even less). Olympic lifts require more finnese, cant really lose your mind before it, you'll probably miss.

I can appreciate the "ruckus" if its actually a big lift for the guy.... don't see why anyone would mind. If you're doing it on a 50% bicep curl... kinda weird, but a PR deadlift, go for it. I'll even join in and make it more rowdy.
Original post by redbuthotter
Pretty much it takes a certain level of emotional arousal to hit limit lifts at 300kg+ (or even less). Olympic lifts require more finnese, cant really lose your mind before it, you'll probably miss.

I can appreciate the "ruckus" if its actually a big lift for the guy.... don't see why anyone would mind. If you're doing it on a 50% bicep curl... kinda weird, but a PR deadlift, go for it. I'll even join in and make it more rowdy.

there are videos of ed coan squatting 430KG for 2 rep max, and benching 250KG for 2 rep max

he doesnt make any noise at all, no stomping, no shouting, no ridiculous mantras or deadlift dances
Original post by Straighthate
there are videos of ed coan squatting 430KG for 2 rep max, and benching 250KG for 2 rep max

he doesnt make any noise at all, no stomping, no shouting, no ridiculous mantras or deadlift dances

Sure, we're all different. Why would you care about how someone else expresses themselves during max effort exertion lol. Just celebrate the passion, it's a good thing in life.
Truth and they SLAM their Dumbbells onto the ground and make everyone jump.
Original post by tilray
It's an ego competition. That's literally all it is.

Have you noticed they get louder when females walk past?? LOL

Ermm no.

No guy thinks grunting makes them look attractive.

The grind face with the grunt noise makes for the most unattractive things.

They grunt and make noise because its a way for them to psych themselves up for heavy lifts nothing else.

And there are videos of Pete Rubish deadlifting 380kg+ screaming and psyching himself like he's possessed and squatting equally insane numbers. Shouting down the gym.

The point is people prepare themselves differently for when they push themselves. As long as it gets the job done what does it matter.
Original post by TSA
And there are videos of Pete Rubish deadlifting 380kg+ screaming and psyching himself like he's possessed and squatting equally insane numbers. Shouting down the gym.

The point is people prepare themselves differently for when they push themselves. As long as it gets the job done what does it matter.

the only vids where he shouts are in meets or when the gym is empty
there are vids of him box squatting 350KG with people in the gym, the only time he makes is noise is when he completes the rep
the only vids where he shouts are in meets or when the gym is empty
there are vids of him box squatting 350KG with people in the gym, the only time he makes is noise is when he completes the rep

The point is he still makes a lot of noise when he completes rep.

He paces around before he deadlifts, shouts when he completes rep and is panting after completing heavy sets. Isn't that what you described in your OP as "ruckus".

Some people need to be in a certain state of mind to push themselves. People train differently.
Original post by TSA
The point is he still makes a lot of noise when he completes rep.

He paces around before he deadlifts, shouts when he completes rep and is panting after completing heavy sets. Isn't that what you described in your OP as "ruckus".

Some people need to be in a certain state of mind to push themselves. People train differently.

he does that when there is nobody around
watch the vids of him training when others are in the gym
he doesnt make a ruckus
he does that when there is nobody around
watch the vids of him training when others are in the gym
he doesnt make a ruckus

You see a section of the gym unless you were there you can't say nobody was around.
yes and why dont they learn to put the weight back down gently?
Original post by TSA
You see a section of the gym unless you were there you can't say nobody was around.

the camera pans around in some of them as he walks away from the bar
no one to be seen...

why do you think he liked to train in his basement?
you can scream all you want and nobody is there to get butthurt (such as guys like me)
the camera pans around in some of them as he walks away from the bar
no one to be seen...

why do you think he liked to train in his basement?
you can scream all you want and nobody is there to get butthurt (such as guys like me)

I don't know why he likes to train in his basement. That's a question you should ask him. There could be a host of reasons, from practicality, to financial reasons.

Rubish is just one lifter. There are many powerlifters that are very loud and train with intensity.

Why does it bother you so much anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest