The Student Room Group

Do you have to mention retakes?

I'm >20 and have been tutoring for the past year or so and finished my A levels a few years ago. I retook some modules last year and am planning to retake more this year. These will be my final retakes. I'm thinking of applying to Oxbridge next year to enter into higher education. I don't want to go anywhere else so I'll only be applying to one uni. Will I have to mention retakes in my application? What if I got like 100% in every module (just imagine) will that look good or will the fact that they're retakes matter? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by johnperp
I'm >20 and have been tutoring for the past year or so and finished my A levels a few years ago. I retook some modules last year and am planning to retake more this year. These will be my final retakes. I'm thinking of applying to Oxbridge next year to enter into higher education. I don't want to go anywhere else so I'll only be applying to one uni. Will I have to mention retakes in my application? What if I got like 100% in every module (just imagine) will that look good or will the fact that they're retakes matter? Thanks

http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
The Ucas declaration is very clear. You declare all exams for which you have a result and not to do so is fraudulent.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
The Ucas declaration is very clear. You declare all exams for which you have a result and not to do so is fraudulent.

I don't think that answers my question. What I'm asking is if I retake an exam, get a better grade, then apply with that grade. I'm declaring all my grades. I don't see where it says you have to declare the fact that you retook the exam to get the grade. If it does then I'm sorry as I don't have time to read through it all.
Reply 3
I don't think that answers my question. What I'm asking is if I retake an exam, get a better grade, then apply with that grade. I'm declaring all my grades. I don't see where it says you have to declare the fact that you retook the exam to get the grade. If it does then I'm sorry as I don't have time to read through it all.

It's not difficult:

You took an exam, and received a grade. You declare the grade.

You retook the exam, and received a grade. You declare the grade.

tl;dr you declare both.

It's clearly stated in the first few paras of the link:

Declaration

Please read this declaration and tick the box to confirm that you accept its terms, so we can process your application. You must tick the box to confirm that you accept the terms of the declaration, otherwise we cannot accept or process your application. This means that you agree to our*general terms and conditions for use of the UCAS website, the*privacy policy*and the terms of the declaration as follows:

The information you supply

If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any information, including any qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results,

given false or misleading information,

etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
It's not difficult:

You took an exam, and received a grade. You declare the grade.

You retook the exam, and received a grade. You declare the grade.

tl;dr you declare both.

It's clearly stated in the first few paras of the link:

Declaration

Please read this declaration and tick the box to confirm that you accept its terms, so we can process your application. You must tick the box to confirm that you accept the terms of the declaration, otherwise we cannot accept or process your application. This means that you agree to our*general terms and conditions for use of the UCAS website, the*privacy policy*and the terms of the declaration as follows:

The information you supply

If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any information, including any qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results,

given false or misleading information,

etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good morning, I think I understand now thanks. So if you used a new exam board I'm assuming you also have to declare the grade? And final question: What if your previous grades are from like 5 years ago, do you still have to declare the grades? And will said grades impact your application negatively if they were bad (but your new ones are all A*'s for example)? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Good morning, I think I understand now thanks. So if you used a new exam board I'm assuming you also have to declare the grade? And final question: What if your previous grades are from like 5 years ago, do you still have to declare the grades? And will said grades impact your application negatively if they were bad (but your new ones are all A*'s for example)? Thanks

Yes

Yes

No

You have to enter it- you take the exam and got a particular grade you need to put on the form. If you take it again you declare that as well.

All grades means that -all grades, including the bad ones you retook and the ones you took several years ago- How ever you ask the question the answer is the same

Frankly the fact that you can't be bothered to read the information offered to you by posters is shocking. If you don't have time to read the rules of an application form you are filling in - maybe you should be questioning if you should be filling in the form at all !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending