The Student Room Group

Four Rejections with A*AA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TelAviv
Did you meet their GCSE entry requirements?

I don't think any of them has explicit GCSE requirements, apart from the obvious ones for English and Maths, which I've met
Original post by L_Hemming
I think you might be right, but surely if it was a weak personal statement I would have been rejected from Warwick as well? And my personal statement was checked by teachers multiple times

You arent listening to what im telling you. They have differnt people applying perhaps its slightly less competitive for warwisk or the admissions person had a personal preference for work in india compared to the other candidates. Its 5 different people, who can assess slightly differently.
I don't think any of them has explicit GCSE requirements, apart from the obvious ones for English and Maths, which I've met

The majority of law applicants at those unis will have a number of A*/A grades at GCSE, so despite you meeting their minimum requirements in English and Maths, they might not be good enough in the face of the competition?

Also could have been your LNAT essay, which would make sense considering Warwick made you an offer and don't use the LNAT.
It's your LNAT score, my best friend and boyfriend applied for law and got into Bristol/kcl/ucl/Cambridge and they had very similar grades but a much higher LMAT score. Sorry man!
I got a 24 on my LNAT and received offers from Oxford, Bristol and Durham but I've been told my essay was strong so it might lie with your LNAT essay and your AS results? Am sorry this has happened to you and really hope things work out x
It could have been different things with all of them. get some feedback and then you will know.
I have received four rejections from KCL, UCL, Bristol and Durham to study law.

I am currently on my gap year, which involves working with a school in India for street children and an internship in legal aid in South Africa.

I achieved A*AA for my a levels, with the A* in History, and A's in English Literature and Geography, and I also got an A* in my Extended Project on Sharia Law in the UK. I got 25 on my LNAT, which is OK-ish considering the average this year is 23.

The only thing I can put it down to is my AS results, which were an A in Geography, C in History and a D in Maths (which I retook and got it up to a C).

I'm just very confused by the whole situation, so if anyone can share any advice please share.

Thanks!

Did you complete your A-Levels in 2 years? Most unis don't accept people who resit y12.

I got a place at Bristol with 19 in my LNAT so don't think thats the issue considering you achieved an above average score.
Oh. My. Gosh. What chance do I have then? How could someone with A*AA get rejected? I'm screwed. God help me.
Reply 28
I was rejected from UCL with 23. It happens.
Starting to think I don't even stand a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am currently on my gap year, which involves working with a school in India for street children and an internship in legal aid in South Africa.

I achieved A*AA for my a levels, with the A* in History, and A's in English Literature and Geography, and I also got an A* in my Extended Project on Sharia Law in the UK. I got 25 on my LNAT, which is OK-ish considering the average this year is 23.

The only thing I can put it down to is my AS results, which were an A in Geography, C in History and a D in Maths (which I retook and got it up to a C).

I'm just very confused by the whole situation, so if anyone can share any advice please share.

Thanks!

Perhaps you can call the admissions office to see the reason of your rejection. It might not work, but it's worth a try. They would be most likely able to tell you the exact reason why. Most of us can't judge your application based on what you've said. Besides, the admissions committee are the ones making the decision, not us.
I received 23 on the LNAT with predicted A*AA but have no previous experience with Law and got an offer from Bristol so I'd say it comes down to the personal statement or AS results maybe? Then again, I suppose Warwick don't use LNAT so it could be the essay section like some have said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lisa96
Did you complete your A-Levels in 2 years? Most unis don't accept people who resit y12.

I got a place at Bristol with 19 in my LNAT so don't think thats the issue considering you achieved an above average score.

Especially if OP sat all the units, both A2 and AS, in the final year in one sitting.
Original post by C-rated
It's the only logical explanation I can think of for the four rejections

Lots of other things poor PS, GCSE's, slightly low LNAT compared to the average that apply
Original post by thepaperhero
Especially if OP sat all the units, both A2 and AS, in the final year in one sitting.

Yeah, unless there's some sort of extenuating circumstances
Reply 35
No, I sat my as' in year 12 and a levels in year 13, it was just that my english literature course was linear.

Just an update for you all....I've spoken to the uni's and the feedback so far has been:

Durham: LNAT and PS/Reference
UCL: LNAT
KCL: LNAT

Still have to hear back from Bristol, but in the meantime I've decided to firm Warwick.

Thanks for all your replies!

Given your grade predictions, its most likely your PS was the issue.

Common 'mistakes' include stuff like :

* 'I've always wanted to be a Lawyer'.
* PS all about A levels.
* Listed work experience but didn't make any intelligent/incisive comments about it.
* Only 'high level' work experience such as with a major London law firm.
* No evidence of reading relevant textbooks or any non-A level material that displays evidence of grappling with bigger academic ideas.
* No comment on any area of Law that interests them, and why.
* Nothing that displays an empathy with/understanding of/experience with 'ordinary people'.
* Good PS - but weak LNAT.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending