The Student Room Group

Law...But what uni?

I know I want to do Law at university as I want to go into being a barrister. I'm looking at;
London School of Economics
University College of London
Kings College London
Queen Mary's University of London
University of Bristol
University of Leeds
University of Exeter
University of Birmingham
University of York
I am predicted A, A, B, C. Some of these uni's entry requirements are higher than my predicted but I'm working on improving these to A*, A, B, B at least. My law teacher thinks I will get an A* at A2 but obviously you can't get it for AS. Anyway!! I was wondering if anybody has studied/is studying Law at these universities or has been to open days and can give me some guidance as to which ones to begin short listing. Things like, the lecturer, lecture hours a week, the city and nightlife, the tutor support, the societies are important to me. Thanks!
Reply 1
I will be a Law undergrad as of September and already have A levels and a place for Law, at the University of Manchester. All those universities in your list from the top down to Bristol are excellent universities for Law, very well regarded indeed. All on the list are Russell Group which is good too. I would not pick more than 2 of the 1st 5 in the list due to the competition to get into them as it is fierce. Out of the latter after Bristol I would focus on Exeter, Birmingham and York. I must say Exeter is very very arrogant about your grades and if they do give an offer, if you miss it by a mark they will say no. I missed my AAA offer last year by a single mark and they said no. Birmingham is very good too as is York, but bear in mind York teach the LLB in a very different way to most Russell Groups, they do problem based teaching instead (I don't know the full technicalities of this).

Being honest I think maybe you should look at some other universities other than the London ones, as they are fierce to get into especially LSE, KCL and UCL. Other good ones are Leicester, Nottingham, Southampton, Manchester and Cardiff. I am not saying forget about the London universities, but do bear in mind how fussy they are with grades. I was rejected by KCL in my 1st round of applications and I was predicted 3 A's. The message is just be careful and although reputation is important, keep to unis which are likely to accept your grades etc, which Bristol, those after, and the ones I recommended likely would :smile:

Feel free to message me for more info on applying for Law etc :smile:
Original post by ORW
I will be a Law undergrad as of September and already have A levels and a place for Law, at the University of Manchester. All those universities in your list from the top down to Bristol are excellent universities for Law, very well regarded indeed. All on the list are Russell Group which is good too. I would not pick more than 2 of the 1st 5 in the list due to the competition to get into them as it is fierce. Out of the latter after Bristol I would focus on Exeter, Birmingham and York. I must say Exeter is very very arrogant about your grades and if they do give an offer, if you miss it by a mark they will say no. I missed my AAA offer last year by a single mark and they said no. Birmingham is very good too as is York, but bear in mind York teach the LLB in a very different way to most Russell Groups, they do problem based teaching instead (I don't know the full technicalities of this).

Being honest I think maybe you should look at some other universities other than the London ones, as they are fierce to get into especially LSE, KCL and UCL. Other good ones are Leicester, Nottingham, Southampton, Manchester and Cardiff. I am not saying forget about the London universities, but do bear in mind how fussy they are with grades. I was rejected by KCL in my 1st round of applications and I was predicted 3 A's. The message is just be careful and although reputation is important, keep to unis which are likely to accept your grades etc, which Bristol, those after, and the ones I recommended likely would :smile:

Feel free to message me for more info on applying for Law etc :smile:

They teach it no differently than every other RG uni
Reply 3
Thank you, that was very informative. I will ask anything when need be, just need to get AS out of the way then I can focus on universities a little more.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul

Do you go to York uni? Just curious
I wouldn't take law if I were you - at least, that's my own personal recommendation. I did it at exeter and hated it. I was surprised because I thought I'd enjoy it considering my good grades in humanities subjects.
Original post by virgojade6
Do you go to York uni? Just curious

No, I go to Exeter where we have the exact same thing.
Reply 7
I take law at a level and love it so I will hopefully enjoy it at university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by helena1999
I take law at a level and love it so I will hopefully enjoy it at university

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a wise choice I did Law at A level and the interest gained from it helped me decide to go for a Law degree.
Reply 9
Original post by ORW
Thats a wise choice I did Law at A level and the interest gained from it helped me decide to go for a Law degree.

Are you doing your law degree currently?
Can't comment on other unis, but the law course at Bristol I've found very good.
Very well funded, hours are around 10hrs per week.
Personally, the only unis I'd put above it are London ones. Though I'm not sure how realistic they'd be for you with your grades (I was predicted A*AA(A/B?) at A2, got AAAB)
Bristol is extremely sociable on the whole, good nightlife, the societies and clubs are extensive and active. The law and bar socs are also very good - lots of networking opportunities, mooting etc.
Tutors are, as I'd guess with all unis, varied; but I've had some excellent tutors.

Happy to answer more if needs be.
Reply 11
Original post by Inazuma
Can't comment on other unis, but the law course at Bristol I've found very good.
Very well funded, hours are around 10hrs per week.
Personally, the only unis I'd put above it are London ones. Though I'm not sure how realistic they'd be for you with your grades (I was predicted A*AA(A/B?) at A2, got AAAB)
Bristol is extremely sociable on the whole, good nightlife, the societies and clubs are extensive and active. The law and bar socs are also very good - lots of networking opportunities, mooting etc.
Tutors are, as I'd guess with all unis, varied; but I've had some excellent tutors.

Happy to answer more if needs be.

Thanks, my mum likes the idea of me being at Bristol and many people in the legal system that I know of have been to Bristol. Will most probably put it within my 5 choices.
Original post by ORW

Yeah, but you're still doing A-Level law. You've not done it at uni.
Reply 13
Currently studying at Bristol for law - let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you with
Reply 14

They are known to teach it very differently... They set you into practical law firms and teach through problem based learning, rather than the rest of the unis which teach mainly through lectures, seminars and/or tutorials.
Original post by Wrf95
They are known to teach it very differently... They set you into practical law firms and teach through problem based learning, rather than the rest of the unis which teach mainly through lectures, seminars and/or tutorials.

The only difference is that they call their seminar groups "law firms".

They certainly teach it differently to every other uni that I've researched/visited/applied to for law. While they do have some lectures and seminars, the focus is on Problem Based Learning, with the majority of assessments being coursework, rather than exams. Students are put into 'Student Law Firms' and deal with problems to learn, rather than the more traditional law programme. It's not as revolutionary as they suggest on their website, but it's certainly different to other unis.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
They certainly teach it differently to every other uni that I've researched/visited/applied to for law. While they do have some lectures and seminars, the focus is on Problem Based Learning, with the majority of assessments being coursework, rather than exams. Students are put into 'Student Law Firms' and deal with problems to learn, rather than the more traditional law programme. It's not as revolutionary as they suggest on their website, but it's certainly different to other unis.

They copied a term used by medical schools and said that they're using it in their law school. That's pretty much the extent of it.

The amount of coursework does make them stand out, but that has nothing to do with PBL.
Reply 18
Original post by helena1999
Are you doing your law degree currently?

Not yet but I will be in September at the University of Manchester, on a year out working after A levels currently
Reply 19
Yeah, but you're still doing A-Level law. You've not done it at uni.

Finished my A level in Law last year and my A levels - will be doing at uni in September...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending