The Student Room Group

Pre Joining Fitness Test

My daughter has been preparing herself for the 2.4km run and has improved so much considering 12 months ago she was a 'sloth'!
She has been running every night for a few weeks on a treadmill and all of a sudden seems to have hit a wall and cannot progress. It is really bringing her down. She has currently managed to run 2km in 13 minutes but any time she tries to increase her time, she finds herself struggling.
Can anybody advise what she can do to improve this? Has any of you had the same problem and if so, how did you overcome this.
She is finishing Uni in June/July but is worried that once her application is processed she will be called up for all the elements of the recruitment process and not be ready for the run time! Any advice would be greatly received!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joanne1995
My daughter has been preparing herself for the 2.4km run and has improved so much considering 12 months ago she was a 'sloth'!
She has been running every night for a few weeks on a treadmill and all of a sudden seems to have hit a wall and cannot progress. It is really bringing her down. She has currently managed to run 2km in 13 minutes but any time she tries to increase her time, she finds herself struggling.
Can anybody advise what she can do to improve this? Has any of you had the same problem and if so, how did you overcome this.
She is finishing Uni in June/July but is worried that once her application is processed she will be called up for all the elements of the recruitment process and not be ready for the run time! Any advice would be greatly received!!!

Hi Joanne,

Well first of all, the very best of luck to your daughter and her application.

Now, I'm no natural born runner but the best thing I could advise (neither am I a PT) is to try a few hills sprints to challenge the legs.

Also, maybe try and advise her to do some outdoor running, as personally I find running on a treadmill staring at a wall rather tedious whereas running outdoors you can adapt and challenge yourself (running uphill, sprints etc etc).

I do find this helps me personally but as a 6ft 2 & 88kg chap I'm not a natural runner, and personally I've had to work hard to get my running to where it's at (as most people also do).

All the best and I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure she isn't running every single day. Her body needs time to recover. Run every other night.

She should change up her routine if she's not experiencing any improvement.

What helped me was alternating these two exercises:

5km run - Steady pace, aim on improving my time every session.
Treadmill sprints - Set the treadmill to walking pace. Then set it up to a sprint pace (as fast as she can go) and sprint for 30 to 45 seconds. Then set it lower.
Reply 3
She was running every day but then we changed it to every other day as she was getting really stressed. She has come so far in such a short time - basically she started running a few months ago but prior to that she was purely a sloth - everything was an effort. So I am knocking how she is performing but trying to assist her. Unfortunately my forte is weights/aerobics/combat etc and running isnt something I am knowledgeable in. I value your advice and will pass is on to her
Hey,
I am also a girl that is joining the RAF.
To prepare myself for the fitness test, i didnt just train in the 2.4km run. Try and mix up her training. For example do the 2.4km run twice a week, the other days i focused on interval training (this will also get her prepared for the bleep test which she will do at prtc)
Tell her not to stress as she is within the time limit to pass!
I wish her all the best!
Reply 5
Original post by Slay_maker
Hey,
I am also a girl that is joining the RAF.
To prepare myself for the fitness test, i didnt just train in the 2.4km run. Try and mix up her training. For example do the 2.4km run twice a week, the other days i focused on interval training (this will also get her prepared for the bleep test which she will do at prtc)
Tell her not to stress as she is within the time limit to pass!
I wish her all the best!

Hi there, thank you for replying. You are the first girl who has offered advice and as much as we appreciated ALL advice, to hear from another female is very comforting. Can I ask - have you already done your fitness test???? My daughter currently does the run 2-3 times a week and on other days she does fitness training with me (that is my area of expertise) we also do swimming and once a week do yoga just to break up the monotony of it all. We are looking at starting interval training tomorrow. She hasnt submitted her application yet, hoping to do so in July once she finishes her uni course. What role are you hoping to do? Sorry, loads of questions but as I said, its nice to hear everyones comments. Thank you for you reply. Good luck with your application process
Reply 6
Hi there, thank you for replying. You are the first girl who has offered advice and as much as we appreciated ALL advice, to hear from another female is very comforting. Can I ask - have you already done your fitness test???? My daughter currently does the run 2-3 times a week and on other days she does fitness training with me (that is my area of expertise) we also do swimming and once a week do yoga just to break up the monotony of it all. We are looking at starting interval training tomorrow. She hasnt submitted her application yet, hoping to do so in July once she finishes her uni course. What role are you hoping to do? Sorry, loads of questions but as I said, its nice to hear everyones comments. Thank you for you reply. Good luck with your application process

PS. You mentioned she is within the time to pass. Do they make allowances>?
Reply 7
x

Fartlek / HIIT type running outside, far better than a treadmill and you'll see improvements far quicker.

Don't neglect the other areas of the test though, press ups and sit ups are equally important.
Reply 8
Many thanks. I value everyones imput:colondollar:
PS. You mentioned she is within the time to pass. Do they make allowances>?

I have already done the fitness test and passed first time. On the day the fitness instructor wtll tell her the minimum level she needs to run at on the treadmill to reach the goal set (13.23.) There is no point in her getting stressed over it- it may prevent her from improving! Try running outside as well as a treadmill (i find treadmill a lot harder to run on, my times are shocking compared to running outside.
The trade i am going for is medic, what about your daughter?
Perhaps she needs a week lf rest, she seems to be doing an awful lot of exercise which could cause injury and she does not want that to happen!!
There is also a fitness test at PRTC but she does not need to worry about that yet.
Hope this helps
Everyone knows the fitness tests are very basic and simple.
Tell her to put the cake down and get out on the roads.
You won't gain entry into the RAF being a fat lazy bastard.

Hope this helped
Reply 11
1. she is far from being a fat lazy bastard
2. she doesnt eat cake
3. EVERYONE doesnt know if the fitness test are very basic and simple

Hasnt really helped I am afraid so please do not advise me anymore. Your input is no longer required.

I hope that has helped!!!
1. she is far from being a fat lazy bastard
2. she doesnt eat cake
3. EVERYONE doesnt know if the fitness test are very basic and simple

Hasnt really helped I am afraid so please do not advise me anymore. Your input is no longer required.

I hope that has helped!!!

Well she must be very weird if she doesn't eat cake. hahaha, HOPE THIS HELPED

Hello,

I'm currently in the forces, so I may be of some help.

The best way to increase cardiovascular fitness is to do running outside, and not on the treadmill. You can use the treadmill of course, but as the armed forces operates outside, it would be far better preparation to run on the roads than on the treadmill.

That said, the treadmill has its uses. When on the treadmill (and outside) try doing HIIT, hill sprints and Fartlek training, rather than just running at one speed. (look these up on Wikipedia if unsure, and there are plenty of youtube videos that cover this)

Also, run for longer. Yes run 2.4km best effort (and I mean best effort EVERY time you run), but also try running 3km, 4km and 5 km. This will increase fitness and prepare you for training far better than just doing the same 2.4 km every time.

Don't neglect the upper body. Do press ups, sit ups, squats (and pull ups if you can) and other such body weight exercises, best effort 3 times a week. Do a bit of weight training with the dumbbells in a gym.

If there is a circuit training class in your area, attend it.

Lastly, do not over train. exercise 3-4 times a week. But exercise to the best effort every time.

Best wishes and good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by subwayking
Well she must be very weird if she doesn't eat cake. hahaha, HOPE THIS HELPED

Stop being a moron, and if you can't be bothered giving out helpful advice - then sod off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlwaysWatching
Hello,

I'm currently in the forces, so I may be of some help.

The best way to increase cardiovascular fitness is to do running outside, and not on the treadmill. You can use the treadmill of course, but as the armed forces operates outside, it would be far better preparation to run on the roads than on the treadmill.

That said, the treadmill has its uses. When on the treadmill (and outside) try doing HIIT, hill sprints and Fartlek training, rather than just running at one speed. (look these up on Wikipedia if unsure, and there are plenty of youtube videos that cover this)

Also, run for longer. Yes run 2.4km best effort (and I mean best effort EVERY time you run), but also try running 3km, 4km and 5 km. This will increase fitness and prepare you for training far better than just doing the same 2.4 km every time.

Don't neglect the upper body. Do press ups, sit ups, squats (and pull ups if you can) and other such body weight exercises, best effort 3 times a week. Do a bit of weight training with the dumbbells in a gym.

If there is a circuit training class in your area, attend it.

Lastly, do not over train. exercise 3-4 times a week. But exercise to the best effort every time.

Best wishes and good luck!

Superb advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0902
STFU.

Stop being a moron, and if you can't be bothered giving out helpful advice - then sod off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shut up you stupid bastard, telling people the harsh reality of the military will make people understand how difficult it is once you join.

I bet you're some uneducated civvy acting like you know, so gtfo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by subwayking
Shut up you stupid bastard, telling people the harsh reality of the military will make people understand how difficult it is once you join.

Very mature. 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0902
Very mature. 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

bellend 👍

Subwayking,

I appreciate your comment reference telling people the harsh reality of the Military compared to Civi street; however the way you come across to someone seeking

You're also right in the fact I am a civilian, however as are you - having seen your previous posts about applying to the RAF.

Having had two members of my family both serve in the Royal Marines, I've got a pretty good understanding of what the fitness requirements and demands are in the British forces..

Anyway; I don't wish to cause feuds on TSR, and also the fact this forum is here to attract and recruit future members of our Armed Forces.

Joanne1995 - sorry for the slight sidetrack.

Quick Reply

Latest