The Student Room Group

Uni: Would you share your dissertation materials with another student?

Hey

I am currently finishing off my sociology dissertation and I wanted some advice from other third/fourth years who are completing or have completed a dissertation or major project.

I was having a meeting with my supervisor who asked me if I could share my bibliography materials with another student who is doing a similar sociology topic to myself and that she advised the student to contact me directly to ask for it.

I am not a selfish person and I always help others when I can but I personally don't think it is appropriate, because its a dissertation, and I know the other student as he is on my degree, I know he has been extremely procrastinating, going out with the lads, getting drunk and not turning up for hardly any lectures because they been too hungover which has been going on since before the Easter holidays and I don't think it really is fair for me to spend the majority of my holidays, countless evenings after uni for the past few months, really since January full on working on it with not much social life, researching for articles, books and items with the information I need to simply hand it over to somebody who I know if the tables were turned he wouldn't do it for me.

I think he should be responsible for his own research, and I feel it is something you don't really share with projects particularly of being a similar topic.

How would you feel? What would you say or do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by liam_1993
I was having a meeting with my supervisor who asked me if I could share my bibliography materials with another student who is doing a similar sociology topic to myself and that she advised the student to contact me directly to ask for it.

I think he should be responsible for his own research, and I feel it is something you don't really share with projects particularly of being a similar topic.

I think that is reasonable - I'd feel the same. How about rather than giving him the materials you point him in the right direction of where to look? So basically tell him where he can find his own research materials, so that you are helping him but not doing it for him. It's unreasonable to ask you to just hand it all over and I think your supervisor was wrong for doing so. That's just my opinion though :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by liam_1993
Hey

I am currently finishing off my sociology dissertation and I wanted some advice from other third/fourth years who are completing or have completed a dissertation or major project.

I am not a selfish person and I always help others when I can but I personally don't think it is appropriate, because its a dissertation, and I know the other student as he is on my degree, I know he has been extremely procrastinating, going out with the lads, getting drunk and not turning up for hardly any lectures because they been too hungover which has been going on since before the Easter holidays and I don't think it really is fair for me to spend the majority of my holidays, countless evenings after uni for the past few months, really since January full on working on it with not much social life, researching for articles, books and items with the information I need to simply hand it over to somebody who I know if the tables were turned he wouldn't do it for me.

Don't do it. It's your work, why should you let someone else take the credit?!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending